RichelRichel

SEPARATED AFTER 4 YEARS OF MARRIAGE

18 posts in this topic

I really need some inputs about my status right now.

I've been married for the past 4 yrs with a US Citizen and just last September 17, 2012 my husband moved out of our house. We've had a very rough marriage I should say since the beginning. We have a 2-yr-old son and currently we split the week for parenting time.

He filed for divorce last September, I'm assuming around the same time when he moved out but apparently he did not serve me. I am aware that after 3 months since you filed for it, it will expire so I think I have to do it myself just don't have the money at the moment. I'm basically living on payday-to-payday basis.

What do I expect on my divorce case? I have debts that are in my name for example credit cards acquired during our marriage, car loans, and right now I'm paying for everything from house rent and utilities and not a single penny from my ex husband.

Any suggestions, ideas, opinions, comments, criticism, and anything sort of thoughts for me are greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

9609146D057AA80CDF2E2C50BA3CBB48.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can file for divorce and ask for a fee waiver when you file. Start the divorce petition so that you can ask for child support payments and get free legal aid so that they can divide up the debt that was accumulated by both of you during your marriage.

event.pngevent.png

You can file for divorce and ask for a fee waiver when you file. Start the divorce petition so that you can ask for child support payments and get free legal aid so that they can divide up the debt that was accumulated by both of you during your marriage.

thanks for your input. i have another questions, do you think i am entitled to get a support from him? Someone told me about him being my sponsor for being here in US. I'm not really sure what that person is talking about. Just a thought.

9609146D057AA80CDF2E2C50BA3CBB48.png

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

thanks for your input. i have another questions, do you think i am entitled to get a support from him? Someone told me about him being my sponsor for being here in US. I'm not really sure what that person is talking about. Just a thought.

With all due respect, this is DIY immigration site, not a family law site.

You need a divorce lawyer to answer your questions about divorce, alimony, child support and asset distribution.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes forum.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

If you are trying to do anything besides a non-contested divorce and there is a child involved I highly recommend you contact an attorney. Do a search for non-profit organizations in your area that will assist you for free or at a discounted rate.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been married for the past 4 yrs with a US Citizen and just last September 17, 2012 my husband moved out of our house. We've had a very rough marriage I should say since the beginning. We have a 2-yr-old son and currently we split the week for parenting time.

He filed for divorce last September, I'm assuming around the same time when he moved out but apparently he did not serve me. I am aware that after 3 months since you filed for it, it will expire so I think I have to do it myself just don't have the money at the moment. I'm basically living on payday-to-payday basis.

What do I expect on my divorce case? I have debts that are in my name for example credit cards acquired during our marriage, car loans, and right now I'm paying for everything from house rent and utilities and not a single penny from my ex husband.

Any suggestions, ideas, opinions, comments, criticism, and anything sort of thoughts for me are greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

You can look up your state laws on divorce/dissolution, and see the filing forms so that you have some familiarity with it. I'd be amazed if you could file for divorce without notice to the other person. You have to either serve them the papers or if they have vanished you publish it in a newspaper of record.

Generally speaking half the assets acquired while you are together and half the debts are yours and his equally, but in cases where you take full custody that can vary. You can do just about anything you want if you both agree to it. The best thing is not to fight over the divorce, but come to a mutual agreement because if you fight the only people that win are the lawyers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You are the female and according to your flag, from the Philippines. You cannot file, he needs to file if you want your divorce able to be recognised in the Philippines (with a lot of money and paperwork).

Debts depend on your state laws (your lawyer will explain it to you but basically they can be split, or if it's solely your debt it can be left to you). Divorce fees depends on your lawyer and again your state laws. There are cases with the other party sharing legal fees but that is situation dependent. Most often you can find places where the first consultation (appointment) is free. You can request support but length of marriage dictate that. The I-864 isn't relevant with divorce.

You can request support of the household bills (say the mortgage/rent) while the divorce is processing but that might not happen...

Long story short - you NEED to get a lawyer. You said he filed 3 months ago, are you sure he isn't trying to have you served by having a notice put in the paper? while it's not strictly legal (if he knows where you are he's supposed to have you physically served), you need a lawyer to look into it to find out what is going on. Get him to have you served to get the process started.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

You are the female and according to your flag, from the Philippines. You cannot file, he needs to file if you want your divorce able to be recognised in the Philippines (with a lot of money and paperwork).

Debts depend on your state laws (your lawyer will explain it to you but basically they can be split, or if it's solely your debt it can be left to you). Divorce fees depends on your lawyer and again your state laws. There are cases with the other party sharing legal fees but that is situation dependent. Most often you can find places where the first consultation (appointment) is free. You can request support but length of marriage dictate that. The I-864 isn't relevant with divorce.

You can request support of the household bills (say the mortgage/rent) while the divorce is processing but that might not happen...

Long story short - you NEED to get a lawyer. You said he filed 3 months ago, are you sure he isn't trying to have you served by having a notice put in the paper? while it's not strictly legal (if he knows where you are he's supposed to have you physically served), you need a lawyer to look into it to find out what is going on. Get him to have you served to get the process started.

Where did the OP say they wanted the divorce recognized in the Philippines?

It seems to me she can file in the US and quite easily become a divorced person. I get nothing from her information that indicates she plans to return to PI, let alone care what the authorities in that country think of her marital status.

Also, there is a child involved. There WILL be law that speaks to financial support of that child. There will likely be a formula which takes into account the wages of both parties. This will have nothing to do with spousal support, which in some states is an archaic concept, especially in marriages of short duration.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I am sorry to hear this sad news. It happens. It seems that you have been going through a tough time for awhile now. Perhaps this divorce may be the best for both of you if there is no chance of getting back together.

First, although it has not been mentioned, you have your 10 year GC so immigration will not play a role in this.

As others have said, you need to get a lawyer and there are places to go where these services are offered to those with limited money.Your husband WILL be responsible for some type of child support and he may be responsible for some alimony as well. It depends on the laws of your state.

Whoever files first sets the stage. You can file for abandonment. He left you. And you can request financial support. You really do not know if he did file or not. You have received nothing. But you cannot sit on this.Get some legal advice now.

It seems to me she can file in the US and quite easily become a divorced person. I get nothing from her information that indicates she plans to return to PI, let alone care what the authorities in that country think of her marital status.

Also, there is a child involved. There WILL be law that speaks to financial support of that child. There will likely be a formula which takes into account the wages of both parties.(Yep, it does and it is also based on the number of overnight stays each party has based on custody) This will have nothing to do with spousal support, which in some states is an archaic concept, especially in marriages of short duration. (Some states only give alimony after 7 years of marriage so OP may not qualify for this)

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Timeline

Also, there is a child involved. There WILL be law that speaks to financial support of that child. There will likely be a formula which takes into account the wages of both parties. This will have nothing to do with spousal support, which in some states is an archaic concept, especially in marriages of short duration.

The OP is FROM the Philippines. She may one day want to marry someone at home, or marry someone again. If she does so, whether here or in PI she will be considered a bigamist in PI which could mean she'll never be able to safely return to her home country (even for a visit if someone is spiteful enough). Is this something she's worried about now? Probably not, but you never know where life will take you and it's best, if she can, to not burn that bridge.

Of course there will be child support, that's a given, but the percentage depends on your state. Spousal support is unlikely given the short period of the marriage but they may order some sort of assistance with the house until the divorce is final and the assets distributed.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

The OP is FROM the Philippines. She may one day want to marry someone at home, or marry someone again. If she does so, whether here or in PI she will be considered a bigamist in PI which could mean she'll never be able to safely return to her home country (even for a visit if someone is spiteful enough). Is this something she's worried about now? Probably not, but you never know where life will take you and it's best, if she can, to not burn that bridge.

According to this, as long as the US citizen files for the divorce, then the OP is fine. I think I see what you are saying though.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=20090

The above rule, however, admits of exceptions. One exception when divorce can be recognized in the Philippines is in cases of mixed marriages or marriages between a Filipino and a foreigner. In such cases, the foreign spouse may avail of divorce from his own country or from any other country which his own State will recognize. This is anchored on the 2nd paragraph of Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines which provides that “Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law.”

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

According to this, as long as the US citizen files for the divorce, then the OP is fine.

http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=20090

The above rule, however, admits of exceptions. One exception when divorce can be recognized in the Philippines is in cases of mixed marriages or marriages between a Filipino and a foreigner. In such cases, the foreign spouse may avail of divorce from his own country or from any other country which his own State will recognize. This is anchored on the 2nd paragraph of Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines which provides that “Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law.”

I know.. that's why I said he has to file, and not her.

FIRST OF ALL IT SEEMS U BOTH WERE LOOKING SO HAPPY WHEN I SAW UR PICS, BUT IAM SORRY FOR THE CURRENT SITUATION, I PERFER U TO GET LEGAL ADVISE REGARDING.

Thanx.

event.png

event.png

192230.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.