True Brit

Been here two weeks and its soooo hard .....

198 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think this honestly depends on the person/place. In Aus we'd say it not to offend people, but often with friends we wouldn't say it if we didn't mean it. Here in the US the few times people have said such a thing to me they 1. didn't follow through 2. I had to chase them up. In my opinion if you said "we should get together sometime" and I say "Okay give me a call and let me know" then it's on you to call, just as the reverse is true, and just as if I said "okay I'll call you to set something up" it's on me. I don't chase people who make those offers, it's up to them. I hate looking needy :S

Yeah America is a big country and I suppose not everyone is going to be the same. My wife says what she means and just can't understand the polite two faced British way. I'm sure in Britain she'd be seen as a loud mouthed American but she just tells it like it is. Life's too short to play games and talk about everyone behind their back and be nice to their face.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It was on Bosville Terrace. It might have been a B and B. We weren't staying there. We just stole their view! We stood in their private car park and we thought they might be annoyed but the owners came out and wished us well and said it was a great idea taking photos from there. People are so nice.

We were staying in Mary's Cottages near Elgol. Crofts with thatched roofs. We met online and Diane went to Scotland so we could meet in person for the first time and I wanted to show her the best of Scotland so I took her to Skye and we stayed at Mary's Cottages for a few days so when we got married we just had to get married on Skye and stay in the same place.

Oh and there is nothing more ferocious than the Highland midge! I prefer the rain.

Oh how lovely for you both! I know at least one owner of a thatched cottage in Elgol - Skye is such a small place and everyone knows everyone. You are absolutely right about the ferocity of the midge but the rain can be pretty ferocious too. It was on Skye that I learned the true meaning of 'horizontal rain'!!!

And i got a pair of shoes for my birthday AND going to sort out my SSN next week so my constant pestering paid off :rofl:

Hurrahhhhh Holly!!

Im stuck in a small town where people wear pajamas to the store (sorry anybody that does that!).

Oh Holly, that made me laugh so hard I kinda snorted :rofl:

I was passing through a little piece of an older neighborhood on my way to Starbucks recently and saw a lady in pajamas and pink robe getting into her car...apparently leaving a friend's house who was out in the driveway bidding her farewell. It was almost noon.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I have some new good advices:

Go to the Social Security office within 90 days after you landed on the US, to get your Social Security number, if you fail to do, you can have a SS after you get your right to work in the US.

Unfortunately I went there after 90 days, and I had to wait till I got my Employment autorization. If your husband will include you as a dependent on his health insurance, you also need your SS.

Fileing the taxes together is a must, it is required for the Green Card reneval process, after 2 years. I am preparing my paperwork for the renewal right now. It is important to send the paperwork within 90 dayd before the expiration date on the Green Card.

Good Luck again.

09/19/2007- met online

01/05/2008-met in person in Romania

01/25/2009-met again in person in Romania, amazing 17 days together

01/26/2009-engaged

08/29/2009-I-129F sent

09/07/2009-RFE (missing the copy from the birth certification, and the divorce decree in romanian language) :((

09/29/2009-I-129F sent again, completed the missing things from the package

10/02/2009-NOA1 notice date, cheque cashed

10/18/2009-met again in Romania, beautiful 2 weeks together

01/06/2010-NOA2 notice date :)

I-129f was approved in 97 days from the NOA1 date

01/23/2010-packet 3 received

02/19/2010-medical examination OK

03/15/2010-interview, I got the visa in the passport !!!!!!

03/28/2010-US entry

05/11/2010-married

as1cHmv03DD0610MDA1MTMxbHN8MDAwOTU3M3N8bWFycmllZA.gif

11/04/2010-I got the I-693 from the doctor, view my comment in my Timeline AOS section, it's intresting!

11/08/2010-AOS, EAD, AP package sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh Holly, that made me laugh so hard I kinda snorted :rofl:

I was passing through a little piece of an older neighborhood on my way to Starbucks recently and saw a lady in pajamas and pink robe getting into her car...apparently leaving a friend's house who was out in the driveway bidding her farewell. It was almost noon.

I saw an old guy leaving a supermarket in Maine with his Red Sox pajamas and slippers on with a 12 pack under his arm at about 8pm. What was unusual for me was that it was a 12 pack of Coke under his arm. Not beer!

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

09/19/2007- met online

01/05/2008-met in person in Romania

01/25/2009-met again in person in Romania, amazing 17 days together

01/26/2009-engaged

08/29/2009-I-129F sent

09/07/2009-RFE (missing the copy from the birth certification, and the divorce decree in romanian language) :((

09/29/2009-I-129F sent again, completed the missing things from the package

10/02/2009-NOA1 notice date, cheque cashed

10/18/2009-met again in Romania, beautiful 2 weeks together

01/06/2010-NOA2 notice date :)

I-129f was approved in 97 days from the NOA1 date

01/23/2010-packet 3 received

02/19/2010-medical examination OK

03/15/2010-interview, I got the visa in the passport !!!!!!

03/28/2010-US entry

05/11/2010-married

as1cHmv03DD0610MDA1MTMxbHN8MDAwOTU3M3N8bWFycmllZA.gif

11/04/2010-I got the I-693 from the doctor, view my comment in my Timeline AOS section, it's intresting!

11/08/2010-AOS, EAD, AP package sent

My husband has been here seven years and he still doesn't drive.

He has obtained his license, but we only have one car. We live in the city close to things.

Whether or not you NEED to drive in the US depends on where you live and where you need to go. It's not always necessary. The OP says she's a "middle aged woman". I know of another "middle aged" UK female who lives somewhat remotely and has never gotten her US license. She doesn't want to. Her husband gets her around.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I have to say it took Paul a little while on the money thing as well. All of your bills are different sizes for different denominations and ours are all the same size. A little tip I gave him is to sort all your bills from smallest to largest. That way you don't mistakenly give a tenner for a one. And the coins were quite confusing to him at first. The penny is the copper one which is the same as a pence, but it was quite confusing to him that a dime was the smallest and a nickel was nearly the size of a quarter.

I told my husband just to look at the corners of the bills for the denomination. That seemed to work for him. The coins - I think that just takes a while. He says US change is worthless and misses having change in his pocket that was actually worth something. :lol:

Seven years on.

My husband likes it here. He likes his workmates a great deal and loves his job. He likes our house. He's gotten use to the money. He can order his own prescriptions. He can work the ATM's, mail letters, etc.

He still misses decent bacon. He still walks around to the wrong side of the car. :lol: He misses Dr. Who.

It gets better. Someday you'll have the curse of the expat. The knowing of two lives in two places. Not being sure which one is "better". But glad to be having the adventure. :yes:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Seven years on.

My husband likes it here. He likes his workmates a great deal and loves his job. He likes our house. He's gotten use to the money. He can order his own prescriptions. He can work the ATM's, mail letters, etc.

He still misses decent bacon. He still walks around to the wrong side of the car. :lol: He misses Dr. Who.

It gets better. Someday you'll have the curse of the expat. The knowing of two lives in two places. Not being sure which one is "better". But glad to be having the adventure. :yes:

you can get most of the seasons of Dr who on Netflix :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

you can get most of the seasons of Dr who on Netflix :thumbs:

And (dare I ask for fear of scorn being poured on my head :help: ) is there any way to get Coronation Street, Emmerdale Farm or Eastenders in the States? Ok Ok I know they are soaps not exactly mentally stimulating but they have been my security blanket for years!! I have managed to find Homeland and American Horror Story (I love both of these!) on Charter tv.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They weren't talking about FILING taxes, they were talking about learning how the tax system works. And no, filing together i NOT a must. You can file married together or separate.

And (dare I ask for fear of scorn being poured on my head :help: ) is there any way to get Coronation Street, Emmerdale Farm or Eastenders in the States? Ok Ok I know they are soaps not exactly mentally stimulating but they have been my security blanket for years!! I have managed to find Homeland and American Horror Story (I love both of these!) on Charter tv.

It looks like you can watch eastenders on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=eastenders&oq=eastenders&gs_l=youtube.3..0j0i3j0j0i3l2j0l5.345.54332.0.54547.10.7.0.3.3.0.97.470.7.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.9ISC3WkJxoI

I am watching the new episodes of Peep Show now :D

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I use a proxy to get both American and British tv shows. I do pay for it, about $10/month, but it is fast and I can watch all the stuff the day after it airs.

Edited by Nola123

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

I use a proxy to get both American and British tv shows. I do pay for it, about $10/month, but it is fast and I can watch all the stuff the day after it airs.

Sounds great! Errrrrrr - what is a 'proxy'?

OMIGOD I LOVE YOU!!!! Thank you so so much - I would never have known this was possible!! So pleased now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.