G & V

Confused when foreign wife should change name

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I (USC) just got married in the Philippines to my Filipina wife and we want to start the CR1 process immediately. She will change her name, but I'm confused as to when is the best time to do that and what name needs to be used on the i-130, g325a, etc.

Not sure how long the process to change surname here in p.i but as for me and my hubby i havent change yet coz we want to start to process for my i-130 coz our military order just arrive.. For hassel free just done with change name first..

I (USC) just got married in the Philippines to my Filipina wife and we want to start the CR1 process immediately. She will change her name, but I'm confused as to when is the best time to do that and what name needs to be used on the i-130, g325a, etc.

Hi there. Me and hubby (USC) got married last May this year. Soon as I received our Marriage Certificate (MC)(which took 2 months) I started using my married name. The MC needs to be presented every time one applies for a change of name (bank, Social Security System, Pag-ibig etc) from maiden to married. If she has a passport under her maiden name, I suggest that she get a renewal soon and change her name. My old one is just a year old. We have an immigration lawyer who suggested that I use my married name in all the USCIS and NVC forms to be submitted. I did just that. Everything goes smoothly.

If your wife has any more question, I will be glad to help her. Hubby's petition has been approved (97 days process). God bless you. :)

"He makes all things beautiful...in His time"

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your wife can change name right after she receives your NSO marriage certificate. :thumbs:

After I got our NSO MC I also immediately changed my name. My passport, driver's license and NBI clearance are now on my married name. On our i-130 and g-325a, I also used my married name. (refer to my signature)

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

Your wife can change name right after she receives your NSO marriage certificate. :thumbs:

After I got our NSO MC I also immediately changed my name. My passport, driver's license and NBI clearance are now on my married name. On our i-130 and g-325a, I also used my married name. (refer to my signature)

I didn't know she needs an NSO marriage certificate. Do we need that even if we have a "Certificate of Marriage" from the "Office of the Civil Registrar General" provided by the court where we did our civil marriage?

Hi there. Me and hubby (USC) got married last May this year. Soon as I received our Marriage Certificate (MC)(which took 2 months) I started using my married name. The MC needs to be presented every time one applies for a change of name (bank, Social Security System, Pag-ibig etc) from maiden to married. If she has a passport under her maiden name, I suggest that she get a renewal soon and change her name. My old one is just a year old. We have an immigration lawyer who suggested that I use my married name in all the USCIS and NVC forms to be submitted. I did just that. Everything goes smoothly.

If your wife has any more question, I will be glad to help her. Hubby's petition has been approved (97 days process). God bless you. :)

2 months for MC? Yikes. I found these instructions for how to request the certificate online and it says it takes only 3 days to get the NSO MC delivered - hopefully that's true if we indeed need an NSO MC in addition to the MC we received from the court.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I didn't know she needs an NSO marriage certificate. Do we need that even if we have a "Certificate of Marriage" from the "Office of the Civil Registrar General" provided by the court where we did our civil marriage?

Our more experienced VJ members confirmed that you can submit the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) copy of your marriage certificate during the USCIS stage.

However, during the NVC stage, you will be required to submit your original NSO marriage certificate.

Normally, it takes 6 MONTHS before you can get an NSO marriage certificate. I applied for ADVANCE ENDORSEMENT of our marriage certificate at our Local Civil Registrar (LCR) that's why I was able to get it 2 months after our wedding date.

If your NSO MC is already available, either you did advance endorsement or 6 months have already passed since your wedding, then you can get a copy within 3 days when you order it online or via telephone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.