Kaygrace

A few questions please.

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

It says temporary on the card. I'll call the dmv Monday and see if they can change it or switch it to permanent. I think they would have done that in the beginning I have no idea why it is temporary, I guess because he doesn't have a green card? We went through the Non-us citizen way, which odd that they accepted him because I believe by then he was out of status.. o_O

They didn't process it at the DMV it had to be sent to Tallahassee and it was received in the mail.

We just recently moved to a new address last month, we were living at my parents address before then which is why we got his ID at that address, My ID is still at that address as well, I need to change mine too I assume before AOS?

Thanks again:)

I looked on the Florida DMV site and it seems like a fairly simple to send in to get a new one, maybe I should try that and see if they update his address on the ID, but it does expire in January so if I am unable to get it updated after that I wonder if it was cause problems for the case?

**tried to edit and accidentally posted lol ***

Edited by Kaygrace

Met:4/8/10

Started dating : 04/17/10

He came to US: 8/3/10

( Was supposed to return 9/3/10)

Now we have been married since 3/23/12 heart.gif

Getting AOS packet together.

xw061add.png

Your AOS case won't hinge on the temp card, if they don't renew it - but you can always just not change the address and not include it as a piece of evidence (for ID with USCIS he needs to use his Canadian passport, anyway). However, I don't know if Florida has a state law that the address has to be updated? I know for drivers' licenses you have to change your address within a certain amount of time.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Timeline

Your AOS case won't hinge on the temp card, if they don't renew it - but you can always just not change the address and not include it as a piece of evidence (for ID with USCIS he needs to use his Canadian passport, anyway). However, I don't know if Florida has a state law that the address has to be updated? I know for drivers' licenses you have to change your address within a certain amount of time.

I'm not sure about the regular ID's I think it is just the driver's license that has to be changed in a certain period of time ( ten days I think which is crazy..)

If I do get it updated but still expires in a few months after I send off the AOS should I include it in the evidence for the AOS?

xw061add.png

Yes, I would, it is one more piece of evidence that you are cohabitating.

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Timeline

Yes, I would, it is one more piece of evidence that you are cohabitating.

Okay thank you!:)

xw061add.png

Okay thank you!:)

They may want to look at it at your interview anyway. I know at ours, they specifically wanted to see IDs with the same address (including my address-update card). That said, even if they do, you can always explain why you couldn't update it if it came to that but I would try to do so and include it if possible.

Also, if your dad has been at his job since January that's almost a year. I don't think that should be an issue in terms of co-sponsoring.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

They may want to look at it at your interview anyway. I know at ours, they specifically wanted to see IDs with the same address (including my address-update card). That said, even if they do, you can always explain why you couldn't update it if it came to that but I would try to do so and include it if possible.

Also, if your dad has been at his job since January that's almost a year. I don't think that should be an issue in terms of co-sponsoring.

I will definitely try to get it updated beforehand.

Well he's been working since January but switched jobs in June, he made quite a bit less at the other Job before June. Almost a $2,000 difference each month.

xw061add.png

Timeline

Also when listing dependents of my father, am I a dependent to my father? and is my mother a dependent to my father?

( My mother has the separate disability income and I was 17 during the last tax return they claimed me on)

if not,

would it just be (2) dependents, Husband & including my father, or (1)Husband - not including my father ( since he is the sponsor?)

Now if I hand in the tax returns that are jointly filed between my parents do I need to put my mother as a Co-sponsor as well?

or like others have said it might weaken my case because she is on SSI Disability?

If I do not include her as a sponsor can I still send in the jointly filed tax returns for my father?

Thanks you guys, this is really a lot of help.

Sorry for having new questions each post~

xw061add.png

The most straightforward thing is that you fill out 1-864 (you must).

Father files I-864. Mother files I-864A as a household member. Then her income is used and the joint taxes all work out. You are a dependent of their family because you are on their tax return as a dependent. Don't forget to include the proof of their citizenship with the package. They will need to qualify for their household, them, plus you, plus any siblings or other dependents, and your husband.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

The most straightforward thing is that you fill out 1-864 (you must).

Father files I-864. Mother files I-864A as a household member. Then her income is used and the joint taxes all work out. You are a dependent of their family because you are on their tax return as a dependent. Don't forget to include the proof of their citizenship with the package. They will need to qualify for their household, them, plus you, plus any siblings or other dependents, and your husband.

Thank you Harpa:)

With their current joint or separate income that isn't a problem.

But do I have to have my mother as a Co-sponsor? even though my father currently makes enough by himself?

To get this correct her SSI Disability will Not weaken their financial support to the USCIS?

That is my main concern for adding her as a co-sponsor.

~~~

Oh! are you saying because my parents are still married she just needs to be listed on his as a household member in order to use the joint tax returns?

I don't know if this makes a difference for household members but I am not living with her anymore neither is my father.

Edited by Kaygrace

xw061add.png

Okay, are your father and mother divorced? Did they file joint tax returns last year? I am saying if they filed joint tax returns USCIS is going to want an acknowledgement that your mother knows he is being the sponsor, because her income is on that tax return too. That acknowledgement is the I-864A. It's not a sponsor contract, it's a household contract between your mother and father.

The best thing for you to do is start studying, by reading the I-864 instructions. It's all laid out there.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Okay, are your father and mother divorced? Did they file joint tax returns last year? I am saying if they filed joint tax returns USCIS is going to want an acknowledgement that your mother knows he is being the sponsor, because her income is on that tax return too. That acknowledgement is the I-864A. It's not a sponsor contract, it's a household contract between your mother and father.

The best thing for you to do is start studying, by reading the I-864 instructions. It's all laid out there.

No they are not legally divorced.

That is fine, I will have her fill out the I-864A is only difficult because she lives 4hrs away.

and I will definitely be reading more of the instructions I've been reading others post every night for some insight.

Thank you for your help~

xw061add.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No they are not legally divorced.

That is fine, I will have her fill out the I-864A is only difficult because she lives 4hrs away.

and I will definitely be reading more of the instructions I've been reading others post every night for some insight.

Thank you for your help~

She does not have to fill out the I-864A. As a matter of fact, she does not reside with him and so she cannot. The I-864A is for a qualifying household member that shares the same residence. Since she is still his spouse, he will need to claim her in his household count on his I-864 though. If they filed taxes jointly, he can just provide his most recent transcript and a copy of his W-2 to show his individual income. His current individual income is what he will qualify with to be the joint sponsor. He will also supply a letter from his employer and most recent pay stub(s). Plus proof of being a US citizen or permanent resident.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

She does not have to fill out the I-864A. As a matter of fact, she does not reside with him and so she cannot. The I-864A is for a qualifying household member that shares the same residence. Since she is still his spouse, he will need to claim her in his household count on his I-864 though. If they filed taxes jointly, he can just provide his most recent transcript and a copy of his W-2 to show his individual income. His current individual income is what he will qualify with to be the joint sponsor. He will also supply a letter from his employer and most recent pay stub(s). Plus proof of being a US citizen or permanent resident.

Thank you, I will have to let him know about the letter from the employer I didn't know that was needed.

He temporarily resides with since his separation but his address is still listed with hers.

Also, Do you know, since he does not have an 1-94 do I leave that blank on the I-130? Do I include the date he crossed the border?

I'm trying to find that information, starting to read instructions and basically do my rough draft of some of the forums.

Thank you:)

xw061add.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you, I will have to let him know about the letter from the employer I didn't know that was needed.

He temporarily resides with since his separation but his address is still listed with hers.

Also, Do you know, since he does not have an 1-94 do I leave that blank on the I-130? Do I include the date he crossed the border?

I'm trying to find that information, starting to read instructions and basically do my rough draft of some of the forums.

Thank you:)

Even when spouses reside together and file taxes jointly, the other spouse is not required to file an I-864A. If the one joint sponsor meets the 125% requirement for their household size plus the intending immigrant, then that is all that is needed(plus an I-864 from the primary petitioner/sponsor of course). They fill out an I-864, provide their joint return transcript and a copy of their W-2 to show their separate individual income. You and your father should read through the I-864 instructions for all the details of what is required. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Since Canadians do not receive an I-94 when visiting, put 'None - Canadian Visitor'

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.