kikid

HELP!! Tokyo Embassy Notice

41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Its Friday now and I just received a letter from the tokyo embassy saying that since my income is foreign and I will be stopping my job to move to the u.s. with my husband, I now need to have assets worth three times the poverty level in order to meet the affidavit of support requirements. They sent me this last night (Thursday night), I received it today (Friday) my interview is on MONDAY! They want me to come up with $45000 over a weekend. All of the banks are closed. My parents offered to help with money, but they won't joint sponsor, so a joint sponsor is out of the question, but it doesn't matter because they can't transfer the money in time, the banks are CLOSED!.

I have a job lined up for me in the U.S. If we go to the interview with an affidavit showing future employment will that be enough? I already called the embassy and they said that they can't tell us if it will be acceptable or not. What should I do? It seems everyone I contact about this problem slams their door in my face!

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Timeline

These are unfortunately the rules. I'm sorry you didn't notice ahead of time =/

Its not that I didn't notice, they didn't say it was necessary, nothing said that would be necessary. Every person I talked to before this time said that if I submit my tax returns and can show that my income is over 125% of the poverty limit it would be fine. I told them it was foreign income and they still said it was fine. That was the immigrant visa service line that told me those things.

Its not that I didn't notice, they didn't say it was necessary, nothing said that would be necessary. Every person I talked to before this time said that if I submit my tax returns and can show that my income is over 125% of the poverty limit it would be fine. I told them it was foreign income and they still said it was fine. That was the immigrant visa service line that told me those things.

Unfortunately, what they should have told you is that your foreign income could only be considered if it was going to continue even after you entered the US, or you would need assets or a co-sponsor to meet the requirements. If your parents can transfer the money needed to your account, you may be able to explain this at the interview and they will give you a slip to bring the information back and not just deny you. So worst case you will be delayed. Best of luck to you!

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's sad. In the instructions it says that you need to show evidence that your income will continue from the current source after you move. This actually is a specification when you use the intending immigrant's income. But I would imagine that this applies to the US Citizen as well.

If you have a letter with your job offer I think they might accept. Good luck!

Service Center : California Service Center (CSC)

Marriage: 2011-12-29 in Salt Lake City, UT - USA

2012-07-18: I-130 Sent

2012-07-25: USCIS Received

2012-07-26: I-130 NOA1

2012-08-06: I-130 Approved (11 days)

2012-08-23: NVC Received (17 days)

2012-08-25: Return Completed DS-3032

2012-09-04: Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

2012-09-04: Pay I-864 Bill

2012-09-06: Receive I-864 Package

2012-09-06: Received IV Bill

2012-09-07: Pay IV Bill

2012-09-12: Return Completed I-864

2012-09-12: IV Packet Sent

2012-09-20: AOS RFE

2012-09-22: AOS RFE Sent (from US - scanned)

2012-09-24: AOS RFE Sent (from BR - originals)

2012-09-24: IV Accepted

2012-10-04: AOS RFE (to be presented at interview)

2012-10-04: Case Completed at NVC(42 Days)

2012-10-12: Received Instruction Package

2012-11-30: Interview Date

2012-11-30: Interview Result: APPROVED

2012-12-04: Visa Received

2012-12-12: US Entry

2012-12-22: SSN Received

2013-01-02: Greencard Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Unfortunately, what they should have told you is that your foreign income could only be considered if it was going to continue even after you entered the US, or you would need assets or a co-sponsor to meet the requirements. If your parents can transfer the money needed to your account, you may be able to explain this at the interview and they will give you a slip to bring the information back and not just deny you. So worst case you will be delayed. Best of luck to you!

By the parents "lending" them 45k, wouldn't that be considered fraud?

oldlady.gif

Timeline

That you probably intend to give back, therefor fraud.

If I give it back in 10 years is it fraud? What if they just gave it to me as a gift and I don't give it back? Why do you think I have to give it back?

Timeline

If I give it back in 10 years is it fraud? What if they just gave it to me as a gift and I don't give it back? Why do you think I have to give it back?

I don't think an explanation is necessary for why I think you intend to give it back.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You probably have to report it as it is quite a large gift on your taxes. Are they intending on giving you above $13,000?

http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax/INF12036.html

I think this is all very weird. My mother is also quite wealthy and is co-sponsoring. I don't see why your parents couldn't.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

You probably have to report it as it is quite a large gift on your taxes. Are they intending on giving you above $13,000?

http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Planning-and-Checklists/The-Gift-Tax/INF12036.html

I think this is all very weird. My mother is also quite wealthy and is co-sponsoring. I don't see why your parents couldn't.

It's not that they can't, it's that they won't.

And s/he says that they are giving him/her 45k

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It's not that they can't, it's that they won't.

And s/he says that they are giving him/her 45k

Well, that is what is weird, but I don't know their family dynamics. This whole thing could be solved by one of them becoming a joint sponsor.

Also, digging around on the forum I found this post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/193395-proof-of-funds/page__view__findpost__p__2872474

Copied from the US Embassy Japan website ...

Applicant's Own Funds

An applicant who expects to be able to meet the public charge provisions of the law through personal financial resources may submit to the consular officer evidence of funds or income from one or more of the following sources:

* Bank statement showing present balance of applicant's account, date account was opened, number and amount of deposits and withdrawals during the past 12 months, and the average balance during the year. If there have been unusually large recent deposits, an explanation thereof should be given

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Well, that is what is weird, but I don't know their family dynamics. This whole thing could be solved by one of them becoming a joint sponsor.

Also, digging around on the forum I found this post: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/193395-proof-of-funds/page__view__findpost__p__2872474

Nice Find! This is exactly my point, because it's going to look like a temporary deposit which will be considered fraud.

I've been in my own situation regarding borrowing money.

The CBP wouldn't let my husband in because he had no bank account and no job so one time before coming in, he opened a new account but he hadn't been paid yet from his new job. He borrowed 200 from his mom to just put money in the account so it looked good, and they read his text message and found out it was borrowed and denied him.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Nice Find! This is exactly my point, because it's going to look like a temporary deposit which will be considered fraud.

I've been in my own situation regarding borrowing money.

The CBP wouldn't let my husband in because he had no bank account and no job so one time before coming in, he opened a new account but he hadn't been paid yet from his new job. He borrowed 200 from his mom to just put money in the account so it looked good, and they read his text message and found out it was borrowed and denied him.

My dad won't co-sponsor because he's afraid if my husband gets sued he will be the one responsible, he runs a credit bank and he's encountered many situations that can arrise from consigning loans and he sees co-sponsoring a visa to be the same a consigning a loan. He doesn't want to be liable for someone else's actions.

Can the explanation, "my parents gave it to us as a gift" suffice?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.