Giz and Mitch

Question for the wise people of VisaJourney isajourney

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello wise people of Visa Journey,

We need some advice and information.

My wife immigrated from Turkey just this summer. She came to the USA on a K-1 Fiance Visa, and shortly afterwards we married and applied for her I-485/Adjustment of Status. Just Today we received her Working Permit and Travel Permit, which is great news! However, one thing that has been bothering me is that her Turkish Passport expires in May. Now I am not really sure what we are supposed to do in this situation. Is she eligible for a US Passport before her I-485 is approved? or perhaps it is possible to get an extension on her Turkish Passport.

Also since she got this Advance Parole approved with her Working Permit can she use this to travel? I think not but I am not sure.

I know its an odd situation but any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Gizem&Mitch

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello wise people of Visa Journey,

We need some advice and information.

My wife immigrated from Turkey just this summer. She came to the USA on a K-1 Fiance Visa, and shortly afterwards we married and applied for her I-485/Adjustment of Status. Just Today we received her Working Permit and Travel Permit, which is great news! However, one thing that has been bothering me is that her Turkish Passport expires in May. Now I am not really sure what we are supposed to do in this situation. Is she eligible for a US Passport before her I-485 is approved? or perhaps it is possible to get an extension on her Turkish Passport.

Also since she got this Advance Parole approved with her Working Permit can she use this to travel? I think not but I am not sure.

I know its an odd situation but any advice would be helpful.

Thank you,

Gizem&Mitch

She will not be eligible for a US passport unless she becomes a citizen.

Before her Turkish passport expires, she will have to contact the Turkish consulate in the US and find out how to renew it (she should be able to look up all this information online by Googling it). If she happens to travel to Turkey before the passport expires, she should be able to renew it while she is there..

You said it expires in May.. I'm assuming May 2013, so you have plenty of time to get all that done and taken care of.

I moved your post from the AOS from family visas forum to the Europe (regional forums). Perhaps other people from Turkey can assist you on how to renew her passport in the US.

Edited by Celeste & C

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.