• Whenever it is possible
    • I do for my SO's sake
    • I cannot where I live, but would like to
  2. 2. Does your SO eat halal?

• yes
    • No
    • he does now, but not sure if he will when he arrives
    • I donnot know
  3. 3. Is halal food availible in your area?

• Yes
    • No
    • I could care less
    • I donnot know
    • I will find out when my SO arrives

115 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
not including carrion-birds or birds-of-prey such as raven, seagull, osprey, eagle;

This would also not be considered halal as we're not allowed to eat any animal that eats other animals... the only exception being anything from the sea.

Edited by Veiled Princess

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
What's Halal? Is that Arab for "Kosher"?

Not exactly, though close.

1. Levitical: as per the book of Leviticus; permitted meats (from cud-chewing cloven-hoof animals; certain birds--not including carrion-birds or birds-of-prey such as raven, seagull, osprey, eagle; locusts/grasshoppers; fish with SCALES AND FINS--disallowing catfish, eel and sturgeon). It is noticeable that the list FORBIDS crustaceans and shellfish (as well as pork). Also forbidden in Levitical diet is the body-fat of hoofed animals (generally ox, goat or sheep; water-buffalo and deer can also be included)
  2. Kosher: subset of Levitical, disallowing mixing (or even having in same meal) of dairy and meat products--so no cheeseburger, meat-korma (korma gravy contains yoghurt) or cream-sauced
  3. halal: as Levitical, forbids pork. But crustaceans and shellfish allowed, as well as "permitted" animal body-fat

(note: not providing link as reading through food laws in Leviticus is rather tedious)

However, we got gypped the time we bought halal lamb.

They cut the piece from the lamb (without trimming the fat first), weighed and priced it. When I asked to have the fat trimmed, the assistants were only too glad (as they managed to get a free meal at my expense).

I dont know if you really got gypped. Thats how I normally buy lamb. I usually point to the part I want and trim it at home. They actually sell lamb trimmings as well. Its the same thing when I buy meat and ask them to debone it. They weight it with the bone.

Maybe wouldn't have been if I'd allowed the fat to be taken home (Pras had wanted to search for gonkura, which we didn't find--claiming the fat went well with it; I stuck to Levitical rule and disallowed it).

As for the bone--well, many curries taste better if prepared with bones in. When we want boneless, it's almost always chicken--for biryani (in which case we just buy boneless breast or thigh).

Sometimes I ask for the bone to be removed in a leg of lamb. We actually grind our own meat at home and it just is easier for us this way. I have never asked to take it home though. There have been times when I have asked my butcher for some bones and they have given them to me free of charge.

As far as taking the fat home, I guess most people would be under the assumption that if you are asking for it to be removed then you really don't want it. Which I guess may or may not have been the case.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I won't even buy meat that still has a bone, lol.

Me too. As a matter of fact I don't even want to be able to determine what the thing looked like before it was put in the plastic/styrofoam wrap. :thumbs:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

I won't even buy meat that still has a bone, lol.

Me too. As a matter of fact I don't even want to be able to determine what the thing looked like before it was put in the plastic/styrofoam wrap. :thumbs:

wimps :P

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. I once helped a friend cook a chicken. You know when you get the whole chicken you have to take out the liver, heart, etc. She puked. :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Well Cali is Cali :lol: I can offer no explaination for anything that goes on there :whistle:

oh my, especially the things like Google & Yahoo...totally unexplainable! :P

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline

Well Cali is Cali :lol: I can offer no explaination for anything that goes on there :whistle:

oh my, especially the things like Google & Yahoo...totally unexplainable! :P

I'm sorry. Are you Californian? Did I offend you? If so I'm sorry. :(

I'm Californian! :star::thumbs: Cali rocks! :luv:

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

I'm Californian!

Well 'nuff said :lol:

Damn skippy! :star:

Yeah God Bless the Land of Fruits and Nuts.

And beautiful women! :thumbs:

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

I'm Californian!

Well 'nuff said :lol:

Damn skippy! :star:

And artificially beautiful women! :thumbs:

:lol:

Some of us are factory originals ;)

Don't forget tainted spinach. :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.