del-2-5-2014

K1 Visa Denied In Lagos

56 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Have your fiance write down everything of the interview word for word as best as she can remember. Was the interupter someone you know ? There must be some clue as to why they think your relationship isn't bonefide. What did they ask her and how did she respond ? Did they do a field visit and someone say something wrong ? Being the petition is from California and a K1 most likely they will declare it expired and you won't get a change to get details. You could push through a second K1 right at the end of the original expiration of approval date . It causes them to review the old K1 and NOID the new one if you didn't cover the issues from petition 1.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

I advice against another K1. You could end up in the same place twice. CR1's will be reviewed and most likely be reaffirmed.

Do the CR1 to carry more punch with it this time around.

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am sorry to hear of your delay Gowon. God has the final say! I know you and your fiance must be deeply disappointed and frustrated. I am sure you put together a meticulous record of your relationship. I know you contacted your senators, Have you contacted your congressman? My I-130 was recalled back by CSC, and my congressman's office began contacting CSC the 1rst day they received my request. Of course he was up for re-election too, but the woman who is working on it has been very responsive and helpful. I hope your delay is not a long one...I know it is hard.

USCIS

Sent I-130 Petition - 11-23-11

NOA1 - 11-25-11

Sent K-3 Petition - 12-13-11

NOA1 - 12-14-11

RFE for I-130 - 6-4-12

Submitted RFE Info - 8-23-12

Request to Withdraw K-3 Sent - 8-25-12

NOA2 I-130 APPROVED - 8-27-12

NOA2 K-3 APPROVED - 8-27-12

I-797C received in the mail for I-130 ad K-3 - 8-31-12

I-130 was approved 254 days from NOA1 date

NVC

NVC Received/Email Notification - 9-5-12

NVC Case # - 9-5-12

Emailed DS-3032 - 9-6-12

Paid I-864 Fee - 9-6-2012

I-864 PAID - 9-10-12

Sent I-864 - 9-29-12

I-864 accepted - 10-11-12

Sent IV Packet - 9-29-12

RFE for DS230 - 10-11-12

Response to RFE received - 10-15-12

IV Packet accepted

Paid IV bill - 9-10-12

IV bill PAID - 9-20-12

Case Complete

???

USCIS request case be returned to them - 10-18-12

NVC reports case sent back on - 10-22-12

Gowon, I've got no advice to offer. However, I'm shocked and saddened to hear this is the outcome of your fiance's interview. So keep strong and carry on. Hope you will be reunited soon your lady. God Bless (F) (F)

K1 Visa - Dates in UK format

02/05/2012 I-129F Sent
07/05/2012 I-129F NOA1
02/11/2012 I-129F NOA2
14/11/2012 NVC Left
29/11/2012 Packet 3 Received
07/12/2012 Medical
12/12/2012 Packet 3 Sent
30/01/2013 Packet 4 Received
20/02/2013 Interview Date - Approved!
28/02/2013 Visa Received
03/06/2013 US Entry smile.png

22/06/2013 Marriage (Beautiful day) heart.gifrose.gif

AOS & EAD - Dates in US format

07/29/2013 Filing date

08/06/2013 NOA1

08/28/2013 Biometrics Apt

06/23/2014 Green Card

Timeline

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

This is unreal!! I am praying that your Queen finds all the support, comfort and love from her family until you two can be togther. I know your on it!! Your plan sounds great. No need to tell you to keep at it because there is no other option for you but to prevail and turn this around in your favor as it should all ready be!! Anything I can do. Just let me know. Even if it's just to bounce ideas of off.

This is truly heartbreaking... If they truly, truly, knew what they were doing... It's sad...

Peace,

Chi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am truly saddened to hear this. From reading your questions and following your dialogues on here, I just expected to see you with an approval. Lagos Embassy should really be ashamed. You have complied with their requests, and that should be what they focus on. People deserve the chance to be together after all of this. I wish you luck in your pursuit of happiness.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Thanks Guys.

Action Items So Far:

I already faxed the release of information forms to my Two Senators in California. One Senators office stated that they haven't received the fax (I'll call back as I have the confirmed page) and the others Senators office said they got my fax and they will get back to me within 2 to 3 weeks crying.gif

Other Stuff:

The hardest thing for me is that I am not there to console my Fiancee but I told her to be strong and that this is a process. I feel let down by my adopted country somewhat. I followed the rules, filed out all the forms, paid all the fees, waited in line, was courteous throughout the process and the end result is a generic form letter to an approved petition. I know it's a priviledge and not a right but I have fulfilled all of the requirements that a reasonable person will know about. I mean how does one go about proving a "bonafide relationship", more than all we have been doing for the past year?

Lawyering up is not in the cards at the moment but I will do all I can from here with filing out more forms, calling etc, I am looking for any guidance on that. Other than the Senator stuff, what else can I do? I emailed the Embassy again but I think they are closed.

It' so frustrating.

If all else fails then I will get married in Nigeria when I go home next year but I want to pursue this petition fully first.

Thanks for listening.

So sorry for hearing about this brother. I would feel betrayed as well. I do believe they are going to wait until you marry her in order to approve the petition because she is female and they feel your wife will need her family present for marriage, traditional or not. I do wish you both all the best and hope you are able to have your Senator's move this forward for you.

Do you believe your fiancee answered confidently and well? Did she need a translator that might not have relayed her direct tone when delivering her answers (you know body language is very important), or did she speak for herself? I just don't know. Truth is, we can all guess at 1000 things that could have gone wrong and we'd never get to the bottom of it. Did she state what the CO looked liked or the CO's name?

Praying for you both.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

We've seen this alot in recent years, especially at Lagos. Simply filing for a CR-1 visa will not resolve the issue. You need to find out somewhow (apparently it doesn't seem easy at that consulate) exactly why they thought the relationship was not bonifide. If you don't overcome that hurdle, they will just deny the CR-1 for the same reasons. I would try to get as much information as possible about questions asked at the interview, and what she thinks the red flags might have been.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

Gowan I am so sorry to hear this I really thought you would have no issues with this process. There has to be a way to fix this system and make this process better for the people living it daily, I agree with everyone else it is probably better to go and get married there and re file I130, If your heart was set on marring here have a second ceremony here when she gets her. That is what we are going to do since my family wasnt at my wedding there... I know it will work out for you and you will be together soon stay strong...

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

After much emailing activity with the Embassy I got this:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Immigrant visa applicants must demonstrate that they have a bona fide qualifying relationship with the petitioner and that they are not pursuing such a relationship solely for immigration purposes. Specifically, as a K1 applicant, XXX needed to show that she was the legitimate fiancée of you, the petitioner.

Our records indicate that XXX was as interviewed on November 7, 2012 and was asked a number of questions about her relationship with you. She was also given an opportunity to present documentation, photographs and other evidence to substantiate her case. The Consular Officer who conducted the interview determined that the applicant was unable to provide sufficient evidence of the required bona fide relationship. Accordingly, the Consular Officer returned the petition to the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHS/USCIS) with a recommendation to revoke the petition. In most cases DHS/USCIS will not contact you, the petitioner, because of the short validity period of K-1 petitions. You are free to file a new petition for XXX to immigrate as your spouse. Any further inquiries regarding the processing of the current case may be directed to DHS/USCIS. Contact information can be found at www.uscis.gov.

Please be assured that the Consular Officer made the decision based on U.S. immigration law. Under Section 205 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, an approved petition can be revoked if there is good and sufficient cause (ref. INA, Pub. L. No. 82-414). Both the BIA and Federal Courts have long recognized that a fraudulent or sham relationship is a valid basis for revocation if entered into for the primary purpose of circumventing the immigration laws [ref. Bark v. INS, 511 F.2d 1200 (9 Cir. 1975); Lutwak v. U.S., 344 U.S. 604 (1953)]. Circumstantial evidence can justify the revocation so long as it meets the ‘good and sufficient cause’ standard [ref. Matter of Soriano, ID 3081 (BIA 1988); Matter of Estime, ID 3029 (BIA1987)]. In XXX case, the Consular Officer’s decision was not made arbitrarily or without sufficient cause. Please note further that the beneficiary The decision of the Consular Officer is final; it is not our policy to refer cases to other Consular Officers or supervisors.

Thank you."

Okay so the evidence that she presented was as follows:

All the requried forms

Letter from my employer

3 years of tax return

Photographs of us on two trips to Nigeria, pictures of me with her family, her with my family

Personalized license plate of her name on my car

Rebtel and AT&T phone record , daily calls at least 3 times a day since April 2011

Snail mails

Receipt of package shipments between the two of us

I am not sure what else she could have presented. But she was at the mercy of the intepreter so who knows.

I;m just insulted personally that I was accused of havinga sham relationship. I mean this allegation if proven has considerable penalty to me as a USC and it shouldn't be thrown around carelessly like this particular CO did.

Just wanted to update you Guys. I've purchased my flight and I'll be doing the Spousal visa as "they" recommend, so we'll see what they have to say next time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

After much emailing activity with the Embassy I got this:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Immigrant visa applicants must demonstrate that they have a bona fide qualifying relationship with the petitioner and that they are not pursuing such a relationship solely for immigration purposes. Specifically, as a K1 applicant, XXX needed to show that she was the legitimate fiancée of you, the petitioner.

Our records indicate that XXX was as interviewed on November 7, 2012 and was asked a number of questions about her relationship with you. She was also given an opportunity to present documentation, photographs and other evidence to substantiate her case. The Consular Officer who conducted the interview determined that the applicant was unable to provide sufficient evidence of the required bona fide relationship. Accordingly, the Consular Officer returned the petition to the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHS/USCIS) with a recommendation to revoke the petition. In most cases DHS/USCIS will not contact you, the petitioner, because of the short validity period of K-1 petitions. You are free to file a new petition for XXX to immigrate as your spouse. Any further inquiries regarding the processing of the current case may be directed to DHS/USCIS. Contact information can be found at www.uscis.gov.

Please be assured that the Consular Officer made the decision based on U.S. immigration law. Under Section 205 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, an approved petition can be revoked if there is good and sufficient cause (ref. INA, Pub. L. No. 82-414). Both the BIA and Federal Courts have long recognized that a fraudulent or sham relationship is a valid basis for revocation if entered into for the primary purpose of circumventing the immigration laws [ref. Bark v. INS, 511 F.2d 1200 (9 Cir. 1975); Lutwak v. U.S., 344 U.S. 604 (1953)]. Circumstantial evidence can justify the revocation so long as it meets the 'good and sufficient cause' standard [ref. Matter of Soriano, ID 3081 (BIA 1988); Matter of Estime, ID 3029 (BIA1987)]. In XXX case, the Consular Officer's decision was not made arbitrarily or without sufficient cause. Please note further that the beneficiary The decision of the Consular Officer is final; it is not our policy to refer cases to other Consular Officers or supervisors.

Thank you."

Okay so the evidence that she presented was as follows:

All the requried forms

Letter from my employer

3 years of tax return

Photographs of us on two trips to Nigeria, pictures of me with her family, her with my family

Personalized license plate of her name on my car

Rebtel and AT&T phone record , daily calls at least 3 times a day since April 2011

Snail mails

Receipt of package shipments between the two of us

I am not sure what else she could have presented. But she was at the mercy of the intepreter so who knows.

I;m just insulted personally that I was accused of havinga sham relationship. I mean this allegation if proven has considerable penalty to me as a USC and it shouldn't be thrown around carelessly like this particular CO did.

Just wanted to update you Guys. I've purchased my flight and I'll be doing the Spousal visa as "they" recommend, so we'll see what they have to say next time.

That sucks! At least you have your answer from them. Go crazy with the pictures when you go to get married. Look at the bright side. You wont have to deal with adjustment of status when she comes here, as she'll get a 2 year green card right off the bat. You'll definitely want to start reading up here to speed through the NVC steps for the CR-1 visa:

http://www.visajourn...he_NVC_ShortCut

Sorry this happened to you.

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I'm sorry you are going through this, Gowon. I wish you the best with the spouse visa, and I pray all goes smoothly with that.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Circumstantial evidence can justify the revocation so long as it meets the ‘good and sufficient cause’ standard [ref. Matter of Soriano, ID 3081 (BIA 1988); Matter of Estime, ID 3029 (BIA1987)]. In XXX case, the Consular Officer’s decision was not made arbitrarily or without sufficient cause.

What circumstantial evidence meets the good and sufficient cause standard is the question.

I bet it is just Lagos way of saying nope not today...try again.

You can try to have that explained deeper through a good and persistent senator or representative.

You can file a FOIA to make them explain their so called factual reasoning they are to abide by.

I was told by my CO she had a "gut feeling" as her refusal reason when I asked her. Gut feelings aren't in the memo of any law and regulation. It plainly states in the link what is good reasoning and what isn't.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1388.html

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Filed: Timeline

Circumstantial evidence can justify the revocation so long as it meets the 'good and sufficient cause' standard [ref. Matter of Soriano, ID 3081 (BIA 1988); Matter of Estime, ID 3029 (BIA1987)]. In XXX case, the Consular Officer's decision was not made arbitrarily or without sufficient cause.

What circumstantial evidence meets the good and sufficient cause standard is the question.

I bet it is just Lagos way of saying nope not today...try again.

You can try to have that explained deeper through a good and persistent senator or representative.

You can file a FOIA to make them explain their so called factual reasoning they are to abide by.

I was told by my CO she had a "gut feeling" as her refusal reason when I asked her. Gut feelings aren't in the memo of any law and regulation. It plainly states in the link what is good reasoning and what isn't.

http://travel.state....grams_1388.html

I already filed FOIA good.gif

Even though I may continue to proceed with their suggestion I intend to keep alive the old petition.

Not sure why they can't just say "Hey good buddy, maybe we called this one too fast, why don't yah all come on by and lets chew on this for a bit and see if we can't figure something out".

My coworkers are all upset (they were hoping they would be done with hearing my special ring tone for my baby when she calls in the office, now they have to listen to it for another 9 months or so rofl.gif) I have 11 of them ready to sign sworn affidavits that they are aware of my relationship with her cool.gif

Edited by Gowon

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.