sebbiesmd

K1 PROCESS FOR DUMMIES?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions because everytime i start to read these entries i get even more confused and scared. So if someone can please break down the below for me i would greatly appreciate it.

1. Does having a lawyer help?

We are paying an arm and a leg for ours and I need to make sure that this will help and most importantly move the process along faster. What is your experience?

2. How long does it really take? We are looking to send everything out this week?

How long will it really take from now to the interview?

3. What are they really looking for during the interview?

4. Should I be there? Will they let me go in with him?

5. What do all these packets mean? Tonight is the first night i am reading about them.

Please help, any feedback advice will help.

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Also can someone please tell me what an NOA is?

NOA is an abbreviation for a term that is used by this website. It stands in for Notice of Action. It is a Form I-797 issued by the United States Government and come in several diferent varieties. Click on the link to see the USCIS webpage on the Form I-797.

Edited by EAS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions because everytime i start to read these entries i get even more confused and scared. So if someone can please break down the below for me i would greatly appreciate it.

We are paying an arm and a leg for ours and I need to make sure that this will help and most importantly move the process along faster. What is your experience? This is primarily a Do-it-yourself (DIY) site.

2. How long does it really take? Check the Guides. We are looking to send everything out this week? Check out the step-by-step K-1 visa guide in the Guides section for more information.

How long will it really take from now to the interview? Check the K-1 Flow Chart in the Guides.

3. What are they really looking for during the interview? The Guides provide a lot of good solid advice and tips.

4. Should I be there? Will they let me go in with him? Depends on the interviewing embassy/consulate. Check the "Embassy Info" button at the top of the forum page for details.

5. What do all these packets mean? Tonight is the first night i am reading about them. The Department of State Nonimmigrant Visa FAQs is also a great source of information. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html#4

Welcome to the forum, this is a great DIY forum.

Take the opportunity to acquaint yourself with some of the great information on this site. A lot can be easily accessed by hitting the "Guides" button at the top of the forum page. The information is derived from fellow forum members who have, or are, successfully working through their visa journey.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Also can someone please tell me what an NOA is?

The "Visa FAQs" button, conveniently located at the top of the forum page, has that information and much, much more (US Immigration Abbreviations and Glossary). :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

click this link ..this will help you to find the information you need regarding K1 Visa

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

you can hire a lawyer if you want to but it's best to do it yourself :yes: ..visa journey gives you so many information you need. before you send everything out this week, learn more about K1 visa :)

good luck :thumbs:

Edited by Jason and Shifa

qHpljff.jpgqHplp7.png

USCIS

* March 2nd 2012 --> I-130 sent

* March 5th 2012 --> I-130 Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

* March 7th 2012 --> Got NOA1 by SMS (Vermont Service Center)

* March 14th 2012 --> Got Hardcopy of I-797C in the airmail

* June 29th 2012 --> NOA2 (114days)

* July 5th 2012 --> Got Hardcopy of NOA2

NVC

* July 2nd 2012 --> NVC Received

* July 24th 2012 --> NVC Case Number and IIN received by e-mail

* July 24th 2012 --> E-mailed the DS 3032

* July 24th 2012 --> AOS Bill Paid

* July 26th 2012 --> AOS Bill Shows PAID

* July 28th 2012 --> AOS Package Sent

* August 2nd 2012 --> DS-3032 accepted

* August 3rd 2012 --> IV bill invoiced & PAID

* August 7th 2012 --> IV Bill Shows PAID

* August 17th 2012 --> IV Package Sent

* August 24th 2012 --> NVC Case Complete

* September 15th 2012 --> Interview Date Assigned

US EMBASSY JAKARTA

* October 16th 2012 --> INTERVIEW (Approved)

* October 19th 2012 --> Visa in Hand

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We are paying an arm and a leg for ours and I need to make sure that this will help and most importantly move the process along faster. What is your experience?

2. How long does it really take? We are looking to send everything out this week?

How long will it really take from now to the interview?

3. What are they really looking for during the interview?

5. What do all these packets mean? Tonight is the first night i am reading about them.

To answer your first question, a lawyer will not make the process move faster. If anything it will take longer, because you have an extra step--sending the information to your lawyer to have them send it. Once the petition is sent, you will be playing the waiting game like the rest of us, most of whom have not used a lawyer. Some wait times are around 5 months to receive an approval, some get lucky and get approved quickly while others take longer than 6 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I just read a post where the "lawyer" did not have the petitioner or beneficiary complete a letter of intent to marry, which is a requirement for a K1 visa, there a many such posts here where immigration lawyers miss things . A lawyer is a good idea if you have some type of issue with your specific case. If you read EVERYTHING suggested by the members and go to the specific embassy website and read EVERYTHING regarding visas-- you will know more about a K1 visa than the lawyer you hired. The key is read--read and reread :thumbs:

Hi everyone,

Not necessary if your case isn't complicated and you have time. You will be devoting much time regardless. A lawyer can't speed up the process or guarantee a successful interview. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

How long will it really take from now to the interview? Can take 4-7 months these days for petition approval. At least 6 months but more like 8 from start to interview.

3. What are they really looking for during the interview? They are looking for evidence that you are a genuine couple and really know each other.

4. Should I be there? Will they let me go in with him? Depends on the consulate. It can help prove the seriousness if it is allowed.

5. What do all these packets mean? Tonight is the first night i am reading about them. Packets refer to embassy instructions/forms to fill and appointment letters mostly. Some consulates send them out to the beneficiary while others don't.

For K-1, NOA1 is the first Notice of Action after the petition is received. It is a receipt. NOA2 is a Notice of Action indicating petition approval. The links that others provided will help you understand the multiple abbreviations.

Good luck!

TnJ

Edited by TnJ

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

1. Does having a lawyer help? We are paying an arm and a leg for ours and I need to make sure that this will help and most importantly move the process along faster. What is your experience?

It only helps in that, a lawyer knows how to prepare all necessary documents and will have a complete package to mail to the USCIS. It is not necessary and can be done on your own. Just follow the guides found on this site CAREFULLY, triple check everything before you mail the petition. Having a lawyer will not make the process any faster.

How long will it really take from now to the interview? Average 8 months.

3. What are they really looking for during the interview? Evidence of a genuine relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.