fkie4

apply for green card again after I abandon green card

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

you have to attach evidence of ties to the US with that reentry permit though.

True and I'm guessing if the OP has 1/2 a mil to invest in a business he can figure out a way to show ties to the US. I'd look into a small resort home in Wyoming.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

here is my situation. I got married in Hong Kong. my wife is chinese. I am holding my green card for 20 years...

i plan to stay in HK and have a kid, i also need to take care of my parents because they are so old...

I don't wanna keep flying back to US several times a year... can I abandon green card now, and then wait my till my kid become 5 years old, then apply for immigration to US for the whole family?

My concern is... if I apply for conditional green card 5~7 years after i abandon green card, is it much harder to apply again?

I heard that if USCIS will definitely know I used to have a green card, then next time I apply for green card again, it would be much harder.

is that true?

Ok I worked for an international airlines and I encounters a family that stayed away from US for more than a year.They are GC holders so I engaged them in documentation and they brought out an envelop sealed and stamped with US embassy coat of arm ...Whaf is it is a an authorization they received from the embassy to re enter US after being away for more than 12 months.So I suggest you address the US embassy in Hong kong and they will tell you what to do.never say you want to abandon your residency,rather state your reasons you woul like to stay in Hong kong

May God Bless Us All In This New World.We All Have Come From Afar And We Need The Lord's Guidance For Success.

NB:I am not an Immigration Attorney, All i say here is based on my personal experiences through K-1 visa process and CR1/IR1 visa process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like a SB1, which is unlikely in these circumstances.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First thing that comes to my mind is to become a US citizen, then stay in Hong Kong until you are ready to return to USA. Becoming a citizen would require a period of residency and some time to process, but may be the easiest option ultimately.

As a Chinese citizen they would lose Chinese citizenship by applying for USC, so wanting to remain in Hong Kong after giving up Chinese citizenship (to become a USC) might not work.

If you have been on your GC and haven't abandoned it yet (or more importantly can convince INS that you haven't), then return to the US now and immediately apply for citizenship. Generally it shouldn't take more than a few months to go from sending in the N-400 to citizenship for most people. However, you will have to demonstrate US residency requirements which if you've already moved, that might be hard...

Please bear in mind some countries do NOT permit dual. This is the case for China. While telling someone to apply for USC is all well and good, it's always best to make sure to also tell them to check their countries rules regarding multi citizenships. Out of interest UK, Australia and Canada permit dual. Germany does but only if you file for BBG prior to obtaining USC.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As a Chinese citizen they would lose Chinese citizenship by applying for USC, so wanting to remain in Hong Kong after giving up Chinese citizenship (to become a USC) might not work.

Please bear in mind some countries do NOT permit dual. This is the case for China. While telling someone to apply for USC is all well and good, it's always best to make sure to also tell them to check their countries rules regarding multi citizenships. Out of interest UK, Australia and Canada permit dual. Germany does but only if you file for BBG prior to obtaining USC.

To flip your advice on its head: There are plenty of US citizens who live and work in Hong Kong, so relinquishing Chinese citizenship is not necessarily going to prohibit him from doing so. However, it is best to be aware of the consequences of one's actions, which I believe you were underscoring.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

um... i don't prefer that because i will have to separate from my wife and parents for 5 years... i forgot to mention.... one time i didn't fly back to US for over a year... i applied reentry permit....

if i wanna apply for citizenship, i need to stay in US for another 5 years... because the previous 20 years are not counted because i was out of US for over a year.... so i have to start over...

so do u think i can reapply green card? is it harder?

Hi, long does it take to apply for a re-entry permit? i just filed last week

• 2 years later...
Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

My husband Is U.S citizen, his mother got green card at 2007, they applied for two sisters on 2007, USCIS sent them approved case on 2008.

Now their case are in NVC, but their mother is out of U.S for two years and half with out re-entery
You think NVC will know about their case?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Before today, this thread was 2.5 years old; it's now closed to further comment. The most recent poster is welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.