zentaco

Credit Card?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm with President's Choice and do not pay any extra fees for using my MasterCard here in the US. When I called PC to tell them I was moving, they did tell me that I'd need to close my credit card account with them eventually as permanent residents of the US are not supposed to use their Canadian credit cards. For now, it just has a travel advisory added to the card so that it my purchases are not flagged and card blocked. They did tell me that I'd have issues getting a new card when this one expires but it isn't until 2015 so I hope to have everything figured out by then.

My plan is to keep my Canadian checking account (debit card) but eventually close out my credit card.

For PC--I just use my parents addy in Canada! I closed out my mastercard with them yrs ago, but kept open the chequing acct

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Before I moved to California, I contacted my bank to tell them about the move and to change my address. I even changed my credit card type and no issues were mentioned. Yesterday, I called to see if I could change my name on my card and found out from the person that supposedly I wasn't allowed to have a Canadian credit card per federal government rules because I was permanently moving to the USA. Does anyone else here still have a CAD credit card, or know more details on this? It was a bit upsetting to suddenly find this out as most of my money is still in my bank account in Canada, so my credit card was my main way of accessing it until I got my banking situation down here figured out. Fortunately I was finally able to get a bank account at a local credit union so I can wire more down here soon, but it kind of sucks that I'm apparently not allowed to have a proper credit card in either Canada or the US yet (US because I'm jobless still). :(

i've had a td visa since 1993. i had no issues calling them to change my name, or to change my Canadian address to USA. He had to override a couple of things to make it say usa rather than Canada on the mailing address but it was no problem for him.

Which location did you call or number? I made sure to call the Toronto number for out of country Canadians.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

How is using a credit card in the US any different than using a credit card in Canada? Its pretty much the same thing, no extra fees that I've encountered. Hubby and I have several cards that serve different purposes, points and rewards etc.

I still have my scotiabank credit card, even though I haven't used it in 3 years. I changed my info with them, and they never said it was an issue.

Like flames mentioned Capital One has a new resident card designed for people with no credit who just moved to the US. I had no issues getting approved, but I did wait until I had a job. When I moved my husband added me as an authorized user on his cards so It wasn't an urgent need. If that's an option for you, it will at least establish a credit file, and sometimes helps you start building credit... it worked for me.

Scotia Bank is also affiliated with bank of america. so if i'm up in Canada i can use Scotia atms with out any extra fees etc. Eeach bank has an international section on the website to show what other banks in other countries they are networked with so you can avoid all the nasty charges.

I know that was the case with Presidents choice! Just gave them my parents addy! I just kept the bank account--closed my Credit cards.

I believe Capital one has a CC for people with no to poor credit history

They do. its actually just their basic card. I got one with a 500$ limit after 6 months of living here. no annual fee but the Apr is not exactly great i think its liek 26%. After 3 months they upped my limit to 750$. And its a normal card, not a secured card. Although secured cards will do the same thing and build your credit just that technically you loaning yourself the money, and its more like a prepaid card drawn from your own funds.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had the same problem when I called TD Canada Trust to change the address on my credit card. I can't remember who I called initially, but I think I called my bank initially and they told me I couldn't do it and then I called the credit card directly and they changed it no problem and told me that whoever I talked to didn't have the right information and I could keep it and live in the US.

I think you should try calling back or try calling a different number.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Here is the number i always call:

416-307-7722

Outside U.S. and Canada

7:00 am to 12:00 am EDT

seven days a week.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I kept my TD VISA and in fact they recently mailed my new one to my US address - I would check back with them. I've lived in the US 5 years now. In fact I believe it was an issue initially so I registered myself as my parent's address (I had a balance which needed to be paid off) but at some point I remember TD telling me their policies had changed and they didn;t ahve an issue with me living in the US.

I agree with Sapphire

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have my savings account open still at the Prospera credit Union in Canada. And I have my ATM card down here. I only get charged fees when I withdraw money from an ATM but if I use it at a store I don't get charged a fee.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I just called TD again and they confirmed that I can't have a CC.. Apparently people can slip by by not saying that it's a permanent move, but if it is the card has to be closed. Too bad. :(

K-1 Visa 248 Days
Filed: 2011-10-24... Interview: 2012-06-21... Visa Received: 2012-06-27

Adjustment of Status 84 Days

Filed: 2012-11-15... EAD Received: 2013-01-26... Interview: 2013-02-06

Removal of Conditions 166 Days

Filed: 2014-11-10... Card Production: 2015-04-16... Card Received: 2015-04-24

Naturalization 72 Days

Filed: 2024-01-02... Interview: 2024-02-27...Oath Ceremony: 2024-03-15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just called TD again and they confirmed that I can't have a CC.. Apparently people can slip by by not saying that it's a permanent move, but if it is the card has to be closed. Too bad. :(

I think that's just not true. They mail me a new card everytime mine expires to a US address and I keep my Canadian TD account open with my US address. Or, just tell them that it's not permanent to keep it open. It's not a lie if you don't give them specifics. I wouldn't let them close it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

That just seems fishy to me if you can get US/Canada cross border accounts that TD does have.

My RBC accounts both go to my US address, so them stating it's a law for some reason is just not true.

oldlady.gif

Anyone know anything about BMO - Bank of Montreal and its credit cards? Does the same apply to them? If I use my parent's address (which is my current address) on my credit card after I move to the USA, can I still use it even if I'm not living there? Hmm... I'd like to know more about the government regulations on this. As usual it seems we get conflicting reports depending on who we ask!! :unsure:

BMO has a credit card that you pay $25 per year on and it's all in US dollars.

I was thinking of switching to that or switching to RBC since I know they have bank accounts you can use in the USA and Canada.

Right now I'm on my husband's bank account but I would like it be easier for my mom (I have a joint savings with her with BMO that I opened in 1999) to send me money for presents vs the present (she likes it that way better.) I would also like an account that I can give my daughter money for presents as she gets older if she chooses to stay with her father vs me.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

There is a BMO Canadian site and a BMO American site.

here is the Canadian shopping in the USA card:

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/credit-cards/us-dollar-mastercard

here are the American Credit Card options:

https://www4.harrisbank.com/us/personal-finance/credit-cards

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

There is a BMO Canadian site and a BMO American site.

here is the Canadian shopping in the USA card:

http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/credit-cards/us-dollar-mastercard

here are the American Credit Card options:

https://www4.harrisbank.com/us/personal-finance/credit-cards

Not that I fully believe them, but I did call BMO harris and they said they were in no way affiliated with BMO canada and could not do a cross boarder account.

oldlady.gif

LOL I love how they have BMO in front of the name and can say "We're not affiliated" Actually dude, you are. Have you checked your name recently? Do you know what BMO stands for?" Morons. Anyhow.... I'll probably just switch to RBC. it seems to be the best option even though I've been with BMO for so long and no matter what, there are NO branches or atms from any Canadian bank anywhere close to where I will be living. I just want to make sure I have a Canadian bank account for visits, to send my kid money, to receive money from important people and to keep a credit line there for if we ever move.

Timeline

LOL I love how they have BMO in front of the name and can say "We're not affiliated" Actually dude, you are. Have you checked your name recently? Do you know what BMO stands for?" Morons. Anyhow.... I'll probably just switch to RBC. it seems to be the best option even though I've been with BMO for so long and no matter what, there are NO branches or atms from any Canadian bank anywhere close to where I will be living. I just want to make sure I have a Canadian bank account for visits, to send my kid money, to receive money from important people and to keep a credit line there for if we ever move.

Lot of companies that have the same name are not really affiliated--such as Honda Canada and Honda USA! You buy your new Honda in the USA and take it to Canada--even though it brand new--it no longer has a warranty!! As they say they are two different companies! My 2011 CRV we bough tin the USA and brought to Nicaragua--again has no warranty--even though they have a Honda dealership here!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.