Tdeboevre

Driver's license translation

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

I am now married to my US fiancee, and we recently settled to Indiana.

I just passed my driving knowledge test, no worries.

But today, as I was going to take my driving test, the examiner said I needed to get my French license translated... :(

So postponed...

Now I have to find someone to translate it.

Anybody experienced the same issue with a French driver's license?

what? forgive my ignorance but why would you need to get your French driver's license translated if you've already taken the US written test and are basically getting a US driver's license that has nothing to do with your French driver's license?!

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Nope, and I passed the written and driving tests both twice, in CA!

It doesn't make sense to me either, as you are taking the written and driving tests, why would they need your French DL?!

For me, they just wanted to know until when does my French DL is valid, and they quickly took a look at it.

Edited by didopage

K-1 Visa Timeline AOS Timeline

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

- Apr 13th, 2012 - Visa received - Aug 24th, 2012 - Green Card received

ROC Timeline

- May 19th, 2014 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

- Aug 8th, 2014 - Green Card received

N-400 Timeline

- Dec 29th, 2021 - Filed online. Got notice that biometrics will be reused.

- Now waiting...

Filed: Other Timeline

Why would you even show them your French license?

Your French license you'll need in France; in the U.S. you'll need a US license.

France is in Europe, the United States in America. Both are different continents.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Nope, and I passed the written and driving tests both twice, in CA!

It doesn't make sense to me either, as you are taking the written and driving tests, why would they need your French DL?!

For me, they just wanted to know until when does my French DL is valid, and they quickly took a look at it.

For written test, no issues. I took it and passed.

But when I came to the BMV branch for the driving test, the examiner looked at my French license and said he wanted a translation to understand what was written... :bonk:

Really? 2 categories of vehicles... I told him what exactly was written inside, but he didn't change his mind.

Oh well, I got my license translated, I go today to book a slot for next week.

Why would you even show them your French license?

Your French license you'll need in France; in the U.S. you'll need a US license.

France is in Europe, the United States in America. Both are different continents.

Hmmm, I would say: Doh!

Seriously, I was not aware of that... :mellow:

Kidding aside, I still need my French license to drive while waiting to have a US one. :)

And I guess it is logic for BMV people to check that I had a driving training/license before taking me to an actual driving test.

Timeline

Well, I passed the driving test twice (at 2 different locations in CA), nobody asked to check my French DL right before the driving tests.

Maybe that would have been easier for you not to say you have a French DL. :P

But if you got it translated for cheap, at least you're good to go and the delay was minimal. :)

Edited by didopage

- Aug 31st, 2011 - Mailed I-129F package - May 29th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP package

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Like the other members of visajourney, I don't understand. But you can check if you can have an international driving licence with the consulate. It's free and in several languages.

DMV doesn't mind, they may not know what color is a french driver licence. lol

Timeline

If I had known, I would have got an International license before leaving, but nobody mentioned it. And as far as I see, I must have ran into a picky examiner or one who doesn't like French people...

Hope I wont get the same issue with my vaccination record.

I had to get a check on my MMR vaccines, and of course the results are in French.

I know I have to go to a Civil Surgeon to get them approved, so I hope he won't ask me for a translation as well... :huh:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

It doesn't matter if you have a french driver licence or not, if you have to take the test. it's only necessary when you have to do an exchange of driver licence (for some states) and your french driver licence. For those states, they take your french driving licence and give you the state driver licence.

For other states (i dont' know if it's some or all) you have to surrender your french driver licence (because you can't have two driver licences) but nobody ask.

So you can go and schedule another driving test and don't tell anybody that you have a french driver licence. If you don't want to lie and if they ask you (i will be really surprised), send your driver licence to your mom, before taking the test, and ask her to send it back to you later. If they ask for it, tell them it's in France and....They can't do anything if you don't have it.

Just don't tell them about your french driver licence. Ignore it.

Timeline

Tadaaaa new episode!

I got the translated documents, went to the BMV, passed easily the driving test.

But, of course, there is a but...

When I sat back inside the BMV to finalize my license, the lady asked for an ID.

I handed her my passport, she looked at it and said it was not possible/useful to issue a license for now.

Why? Because my I-94 expires on November 29th.

And since I have not launched my AOS (will be done this week), they don't want to issue a license that will be expired by November 29th...

I think that's the hardest process I have been for.

Even getting a gun permit is way easier here.

Timeline

That is exactly why I waited to have my green card to get my DL.

Last year, I passed (successfully, a first time) my DL on a J-1 visa, in May. My visa was expiring on September, and I never received my DL.

Apply for AOS and EAD/AP as soon as possible.

Once you get your EAD (valid for a year), try to come back and see if they issue you a DL. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for your GC.

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Timeline

Apply for AOS and EAD/AP as soon as possible.

Once you get your EAD (valid for a year), try to come back and see if they issue you a DL. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for your GC.

Should send out the package this week or next week, depending on the Civil Surgeon appointment... :bonk:

I might try again when I get the NOA of my AOS.

Thanks anyway. :)

Timeline

Should send out the package this week or next week, depending on the Civil Surgeon appointment... :bonk:

I might try again when I get the NOA of my AOS.

Thanks anyway. :)

Do you have some missing vaccines? Because if not, no need to see a civil surgeon...

From that link http://www.in.gov/bmv/2769.htm yes, it looks like they may accept your NOA. :)

Edited by didopage

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Timeline

Do you have some missing vaccines? Because if not, no need to see a civil surgeon...

Another fantastic episode I guess.

When I did the medical check in Paris (where they messed with my passport number on documents), I got a copy the DS-3025 form, as expected.

For the MMR vaccines, it is written "to verify serology".

I did a blood sample test in France and had the results a couple of days before leaving.

They are positive (no need to have a shot), but in French...

So I was assuming I had to go to a CS and have the I-693 form signed to cover my @ss.

Also, Dr Slattery checked the boxes "Vaccine History Incomplete" and "Applicant nay be eeligible for blanket waiver because vaccination not medically appropriate".

Timeline

Another fantastic episode I guess.

When I did the medical check in Paris (where they messed with my passport number on documents), I got a copy the DS-3025 form, as expected.

For the MMR vaccines, it is written "to verify serology".

I did a blood sample test in France and had the results a couple of days before leaving.

They are positive (no need to have a shot), but in French...

So I was assuming I had to go to a CS and have the I-693 form signed to cover my @ss.

Also, Dr Slattery checked the boxes "Vaccine History Incomplete" and "Applicant nay be eeligible for blanket waiver because vaccination not medically appropriate".

Yep, me too, but that's normal (in my case, it was because I had some age inappropriate vaccines.. which basically means a vaccination history is rarely considered "complete", if it's filled in correclty).

So yeah, from what you're saying, I think you're doing the right thing. But you only need part I and the vaccination record page completed by the CS. So if they are trying to make you pay a few hundred of $, look for another CS. It should not be very expensive because it's an easy job...

PS: Dr Slattery also messed up completely my vaccination page, wrong vaccines dates (some of them were before my birth...)

Edited by didopage

ROC Timeline

N-400 Timeline

- Now waiting...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.