Chetsky

Changing wife's passport to married name

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am very confused about the name change issue. My wife has a valid philippine passport valid until 2015 in her maiden name. We filed I-130 in married name with copies of maiden name passport. Does this passport have to be changed to married name at anytime before coming on CR1 visa? Will she need to have changed to get NBI for both names? We just want to leave it as maiden name though the process if possible, any thought?

17-Dec-11 Met my wife for first time

24-Jul-12 - Married in Philippines, Honeymoon in Hong Kong

20-Sep-12 - Return to Philippines for visit/Medical/finish up i-130

2-Oct-12 - I-130 Sent (Fedex)

3-Oct-12 - Received at Phoenix Lockbox

09-Oct-12- NOA1 email/SMS : I-130 transferred to NBC

12-Dec-12 - File appeared in Case status

25-Dec-12 - Returned to Philippines for Christmas and New Years

4-Jan-13- Learned my file was transferred to local office on Nov 27

17-Jan-13- I-130 Approved

she can use her current passport with maiden name but it will mean her visa and green card will also have her maiden name. I renewed my passport to use my husbands last name coz I want my visa and green card with my married name. We submitted my old passport bio page photocopy to NVC since I did not have my new passport by then. When I went for medical I already presented new passport.

:thumbs:

she can use her current passport with maiden name but it will mean her visa and green card will also have her maiden name. I renewed my passport to use my husbands last name coz I want my visa and green card with my married name. We submitted my old passport bio page photocopy to NVC since I did not have my new passport by then. When I went for medical I already presented new passport.

I did the same.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.]1st Cor 13: 4-7

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Not sure about the VISA and GC having to be in the married name as long as she carries a certified copy of the marriage certificate. At least that is what I have read on VJ before for traveling back to the Philippines on vacation and the Philippine passport is still in the maiden name, but the GC is in the new married name. We will see what others will say that have actually went through this situation.

Would love to here from some more people regarding this matter. I have searched the advanced search and i'm finding lots of confusion. I simply want to know, if I filed the I-130 in married name and sent copy of passport in maiden name, will this carry us through to the end. We really don't care what name the visa or GC comes in, but we don't want to get caught at the end needing something. Can the NBI process be done without name change, if we need police clearance in both names?

good.gifhappened to me. the only difference is I did not renew my passport since it will expire on 2015 so I got my visa with my maiden name on it and I was told that my green card will have the same. My husband used both my maiden name and married name (first name, maiden name, married name) when he applied for my i130 Aug. last year. all my documents had the same name pattern on it except my passport so when I went to my medical they asked a copy of my marriage cert for my name to be changed to my married name on their record and because paranoia is my twinheadbonk.gif ,a month before my interview I started bugging my husband about calling the embassy and asking them if I wouldn't have any prob with it. the only thing they told him for me to bring during the interview was another NBI clearance on my maiden name ( we submitted orig copy of my married nbi clearance prior to that). they didn't make a big deal out of it during my interview in fact no one bothered to ask about it mad.gif.

BTW I just applied for a SSN the other day and requested to issue it on my married name (they said OK and just looked at the marriage cert). Hope this helps. wacko.gif

good.gifhappened to me. the only difference is I did not renew my passport since it will expire on 2015 so I got my visa with my maiden name on it and I was told that my green card will have the same. My husband used both my maiden name and married name (first name, maiden name, married name) when he applied for my i130 Aug. last year. all my documents had the same name pattern on it except my passport so when I went to my medical they asked a copy of my marriage cert for my name to be changed to my married name on their record and because paranoia is my twinheadbonk.gif ,a month before my interview I started bugging my husband about calling the embassy and asking them if I wouldn't have any prob with it. the only thing they told him for me to bring during the interview was another NBI clearance on my maiden name ( we submitted orig copy of my married nbi clearance prior to that). they didn't make a big deal out of it during my interview in fact no one bothered to ask about it mad.gif.

BTW I just applied for a SSN the other day and requested to issue it on my married name (they said OK and just looked at the marriage cert). Hope this helps. wacko.gif

That was what I needed to hear, thank you sooooo much.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Would love to here from some more people regarding this matter. I have searched the advanced search and i'm finding lots of confusion. I simply want to know, if I filed the I-130 in married name and sent copy of passport in maiden name, will this carry us through to the end. We really don't care what name the visa or GC comes in, but we don't want to get caught at the end needing something. Can the NBI process be done without name change, if we need police clearance in both names?

Short answer. Change the name in the Passport ASAP. Ask for the police clearance in both names.

The visa will be issue in the passport name. If you filed in the married name, just think of that as her "current name" and get all her ID current. The foreign spouse's passport is not needed at the petition stage, so it doesn't matter that you sent a copy of the one in the maiden name. Long term, you're wise to change the passport name ASAP. It will be much more difficult to change the name after the visa is issued.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.