GabeandKatya

Question about change of address after K-1 Visa approved, before entry to U.S.

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine whether my fiancee or I need to file a change of address. I searched through the forums for a while, but I didn't see anything that quite matched.

She has been approved for a K-1 Visa and will be coming here at the end of November, and I just bought a new home and will be moving in sometime during the next couple of weeks. I looked on the USCIS site and found the online change of address to be filed if you're still waiting on your petition (which we've already been approved), and the I-865 which says it should be filed if you've already filed an I-864 (which I haven't yet). So according to the wording, it would seem that I don't need to file a change of address. Is that correct?

Also I see there is an AR-11 for the foreign beneficiary to fill out for a change of address, but she hasn't moved here yet. By the time she does, we'll be at the new address.

So basically my question is: Should either of us fill out a change of address, or do we not need to since we're between visa and marriage?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine whether my fiancee or I need to file a change of address. I searched through the forums for a while, but I didn't see anything that quite matched.

She has been approved for a K-1 Visa and will be coming here at the end of November, and I just bought a new home and will be moving in sometime during the next couple of weeks. I looked on the USCIS site and found the online change of address to be filed if you're still waiting on your petition (which we've already been approved), and the I-865 which says it should be filed if you've already filed an I-864 (which I haven't yet). So according to the wording, it would seem that I don't need to file a change of address. Is that correct?

Also I see there is an AR-11 for the foreign beneficiary to fill out for a change of address, but she hasn't moved here yet. By the time she does, we'll be at the new address.

So basically my question is: Should either of us fill out a change of address, or do we not need to since we're between visa and marriage?

Thanks for any help you can give!

When she flies to you, she will have to add the new address on her I-94 form while entering the US. IF the CBP officer asks (no need to clarify if they don't) she should let them know that you have moved and that the new address is the one on the I-94. Make sure she has your phone number handy just in case they want to call you to confirm this information.

Later on, after you marry and you file for AOS, you can use the new address on all the new forms she'll have to fill out.

No big deal.

Timeline

When she flies to you, she will have to add the new address on her I-94 form while entering the US. IF the CBP officer asks (no need to clarify if they don't) she should let them know that you have moved and that the new address is the one on the I-94. Make sure she has your phone number handy just in case they want to call you to confirm this information.

Later on, after you marry and you file for AOS, you can use the new address on all the new forms she'll have to fill out.

No big deal.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

So basically she just has to make sure to put the new address on her I-94, but aside from that we don't need to worry about any change of address forms? I think I can handle that. :thumbs:

Sorry to ask question inside someone's thread, but it made me think...

Can a PO Box be used when filing for a visa? Or does it have to be a physical address?

Sorry to ask question inside someone's thread, but it made me think...

Can a PO Box be used when filing for a visa? Or does it have to be a physical address?

There needs to be a US domicile listed I believe.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks for the quick reply. smile.gif

So basically she just has to make sure to put the new address on her I-94, but aside from that we don't need to worry about any change of address forms? I think I can handle that. :thumbs:

Yes! Because on the I-94 she'll need to declare where she'll be staying :yes: and no, at this this stage you are in, all forms have been submitted and there's really nothing you can/must do. Like you pointed out before, in the COA information from USCIS, the Change of Address online is for those with pending cases; and yours in no longer.

Just make sure she knows the new address and that IF ASKED (never volunteer information), she should say: Oh! Yes! I'm sorry officer, the address on the I-94 is our new residence. My fiance got a new place for us recently.

As a suggestion, since you'll be getting a new place, try to see about putting her name on the new lease and to have all, or at least 1-2 bills, on both of your names or hers. When you file for AOS, if needed, she'll be able to show those things to prove that you both live under the same roof.

Edited by Celeste & C

Timeline

As a suggestion, since you'll be getting a new place, try to see about putting her name on the new lease and to have all, or at least 1-2 bills, on both of your names or hers. When you file for AOS, if needed, she'll be able to show those things to prove that you both live under the same roof.

Celeste & C have great advice--get her added to anything you can, it will save you later :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you have NOA-2, I-797C formletter - hang on to that for the big AOS packet yer gonna file after marriage.

as for 'now' - nope - no address change required what so ever.

The new address will be gathered with the I-485 thingie that you two will prep, after marriage.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

LOL, YES it's a BIG DEAL..

well we found out the hard way... And I wish the I-485 VJ instructions made it much clearer how important it is to have a good working postal address..

I had my mail forwarding from my Florida address to my parents address in New York.. Filled out the I-485 with the Florida Address because we were moving there after the summer... Big NO NO - mail got returned to government and now huge problems and delays.. No 797 means no state ID, driver permit, etc.. nightmare

The VJ guidelines are awesome, but they left out a big one there, hopefully they can update it to state how important it is to have a working postal address.

No big deal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Government mail isn't typically forwarded.

*** Old thread closed to further comment; recent poster has expressed his situation elsewhere. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.