Mina90

Curiosity about I-864

3 posts in this topic

I know I have just recently begun the I-130 process, but I am already slowly arranging all my other documents that I'll need to submit in the future and the only form that is mind-boggling is the I-864. :blink:

Now, I am a full time university student (final year :dance: ) and I work only part-time (will be making only about $5,000 starting this year since I've been in this new job for almost a year now, which is obviously not enough to meet the poverty guidelines) . I know I will fill out the I-864.

My parents claim me as a dependent. My parents will be my co-sponsors. My dad makes about $21,000 and my mom makes about $14,000 and they file jointly which comes to be about $35,000. So me being the main sponsor and my parents being the other sponsors bring the total income to about $40,000 (yeah, I know we're not rich) :bonk: .

My curiosity is do both my parents fill out a I-864A form OR do one of my parents (for example my dad) also fill out another I-864 as my joint-sponsor and my other parent fill out an I-864A? OR do both fill out I-864 forms (total of 3 separate I-864 forms).

Also...then for the tax documentation, would I just have to send in only 1 copy of the 3 years of tax return transcripts since we're ALL on the same tax return (me, my dad and mom)?

I know it's a long post, but I wanted some help with a head start on things so I can slowly work with all these documentations in my hectic schedule. :wacko:

Comments are welcome and advice is much appreciated! :yes:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You complete the I-864 and supply all needed documentation. If you have not been required to file a tax return for any of the most recent 3 years you submit a letter/statement as outlined on page 8 of the I-864 instructions.

Being claimed as a dependent on a tax return is not the same as filing a return.

One parent will also complete a form I-864. The other parent will complete a form I-864A so that their incomes can be combined to meet the income requirement for their household count plus the intending immigrant.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

You complete the I-864 and supply all needed documentation. If you have not been required to file a tax return for any of the most recent 3 years you submit a letter/statement as outlined on page 8 of the I-864 instructions.

Being claimed as a dependent on a tax return is not the same as filing a return.

One parent will also complete a form I-864. The other parent will complete a form I-864A so that their incomes can be combined to meet the income requirement for their household count plus the intending immigrant.

Thanks a bunch Anh map! That's what I needed to know!! :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.