Penny Lane

Romney: "We don't have people who die because they don't have insurance"

111 posts in this topic

Mitt Romney doubled down on his suggestion that uninsured Americans can find the care they need in emergency rooms, telling The Dispatch that people will always receive the treatment they need, and do not die or suffer because they can not pay for care. He pointed to federal law that requires hospitals to admit emergency patients, repeating his advice that patients rely on the most expensive form of care reserved strictly for emergencies. Romney told the Columbus Dispatch:

“We don’t have a setting across this country where if you don’t have insurance, we just say to you, ‘Tough luck, you’re going to die when you have your heart attack,’  ” he said as he offered more hints as to what he would put in place of “Obamacare,” which he has pledged to repeal.

“No, you go to the hospital, you get treated, you get care, and it’s paid for, either by charity, the government or by the hospital. We don’t have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don’t have insurance.”

He pointed out that federal law requires hospitals to treat those without health insurance — although hospital officials frequently say that drives up health-care costs.

Emergency rooms serve as a place of last resort, but 45,000 Americans still die every year because they lack health insurance, or one every 12 minutes. Uninsured adults under age 65 are also at a 40 percent higher death risk. Hospitals may treat patients for emergency medical conditions regardless of legal status or ability to pay, but patients with chronic conditions that don’t require emergency interference are often unable to access needed care.

Romney’s health care proposal would leave 72 million Americans without health insurance and wouldn’t provide all uninsured Americans with a stable source of insurance.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/10/11/990281/romney-uninsured-hospital/

There you have it, folks! No worries! Nobody dies due to a lack of health insurance. That's a relief.

The hospital won't bill you or anything! It's magic.

caught in an obvious lie so now you resort to alinskyite distraction tactics. typical.

go play in the rub forum, p&r is for grownups.

I love this new attitude. I hope it sticks around for awhile, because it's hilarious.

There you have it, folks! No worries! Nobody dies due to a lack of health insurance. That's a relief.

The hospital won't bill you or anything! It's magic.

recent studies have shown that the un insured are 4 times as likely to receive treatment for minor illness as the insured, and that the uni insured typically receive as much or more care giver provided medical care than the insured.

funny. at local gas stations, i keep seeing all these coffee cans decorated with pictures of kids with cancer, it's like their parents are trying to raise money for their chemo or something.

Filed: Timeline

recent studies have shown that the un insured are 4 times as likely to receive treatment for minor illness as the insured, and that the uni insured typically receive as much or more care giver provided medical care than the insured.

funny. at local gas stations, i keep seeing all these coffee cans decorated with pictures of kids with cancer, it's like their parents are trying to raise money for their chemo or something.

conservative poster refers to actual study conducted with an actual scientifically sound methodology and actual MATH...

liberal poster tugs at heartstrings with bullsh1t story about cans with sad pictures of sad people...

anyone notice a PATTERN yet?

i do!

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/20/families-usa-says-26000-die-prematurely-without-health-insurance/

Spin it however you'd like, Mitt Romney is as incorrect as he can be about this one.

Yes, people can get treatment. If you go into a hospital having a heart attack, they won't let you die in the hallway because you don't have insurance.

But you'll be billed a ridiculous amount later.

And what if you have a chronic condition, a life long illness that requires multiple hospital stays and constant medication?

Plenty of people simply don't go to a doctor because they cannot afford it and they're uninsured.

Filed: Timeline

Plenty of people simply don't go to a doctor because they cannot afford it and they're uninsured.

who is responsible for your inaction?

i'm not. herschel is not. romney is not.

you are. only you.

i know, i know... that's not a mode of thinking you on the left are accustomed to.

but it's the truth.

if you die because you didn't go to the ER... then it's your fault.

not cigna's. not blue cross's. not romney's or rove's.

y o u r

f a u l t.

who is responsible for your inaction?

i'm not. herschel is not. romney is not.

you are. only you.

i know, i know... that's not a mode of thinking you on the left are accustomed to.

but it's the truth.

if you die because you didn't go to the ER... then it's your fault.

not cigna's. not blue cross's. not romney's or rove's.

y o u r

f a u l t.

I have health insurance!