kenandmaritza

Traveling to Peru with different names: Problems?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

ah ok.... I thought you had your tickets and they were in your married name.... sorry for the confusion...

You will be ok with tickets and passport in maiden name and marriage certificate and Greencard in married name...

Hope you have a wonderful trip

Kezzie

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
ah ok.... I thought you had your tickets and they were in your married name.... sorry for the confusion...

You will be ok with tickets and passport in maiden name and marriage certificate and Greencard in married name...

Hope you have a wonderful trip

Kezzie

:D Thank you

we're going back to Peru because we will get married there... (L)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

kezzie is right , your ticket HAS TO MATCH your passport, It doesnt matter what other identification you show if your ticket doesnt match your passport for international flights they wont let you on the plane

Nov 11th 2003 sent i29f form to VSC

Nov 18th 2003 received NOA 1

Jan 17th 2004 NOA 2

Feb 6th 2004 received package 3

March 11th 2004 recieved package 4

April 7th 2004 interview in Sydney

April 7th 2004 VISA GRANTED

April 27th 2004 Arrive in Boston 8.30pm

may 29th 2004 WEDDING DAY

May 11th 2004 applied for SSN

May 17th received SSN card

June 12th 2004 applied for AOS EAD AP

July 7th 2004 NOA received for AOS EAD

August 3rd 2004 Biometrics appt in Rhode Island

EAD approved online Aug 3rd 2004

EAD card arrived in the Mail Aug 9th 2004

started working 13th September 2004

applied for renewal of EAD May 9th 2005

bio appt for EAD renewal June 10th 2005 in Boston

July 6th renewal EAD approved

July 12th 2005 renewal EAD arrived in the mail

Sept 12th AOS suspended until FBI fingerprints are done

Sept 17th FBI fingerprint appt

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview

Oct 14th 2005 AOS interview success

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

yes, we know NOW that the ticket should be in the name used on the passport. however, it's too late. we have the ticket in her married name (green card). contacted american airlines, they've added her maiden name to the record locator in the "computer", but will not change the name on the ticket. not sure if that's enough. will they consult the "computer" when she is boarding, or will they simply stare and compare the passport and ticket, and deny her?? i don't know who i can contact to reconcile the situation. i think it's rediculous to think that they only way around this is to buy another ticket.

PE.gifUS.gif

12.06.04 -Divorce finalized.

12.29.04 -Sent I-129F application.

12.31.04 -VSC received. 2 days

01.04.05 -NOA1. 6 days

01.19.05 -NOA2. 21 days

01.27.05 -Received at NVC. 29 days

01.31.05 -Sent to Embassy ?. 33 days

01.31.05 -Received by Embassy. 33 days

02.07.05 -Received Packet 3&4, but incorrect. 40 days

02.18.05 -Received Correct Packet 3&4. 51 days

03.22.05 -Interview APPROVED! but Conditionally. 83 days

04.06.05 -My fiance returned to the embassy, presented additional documents and obtained her Visa. Yeah! Small bump at the end of the long Visa Journey! 98 days

04.15.05 -Lima a Miami a Philadelphia ... my baby arrives! 107 days

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
yes, we know NOW that the ticket should be in the name used on the passport. however, it's too late. we have the ticket in her married name (green card). contacted american airlines, they've added her maiden name to the record locator in the "computer", but will not change the name on the ticket. not sure if that's enough. will they consult the "computer" when she is boarding, or will they simply stare and compare the passport and ticket, and deny her?? i don't know who i can contact to reconcile the situation. i think it's rediculous to think that they only way around this is to buy another ticket.

Hi - when you spoke to American Airlines and they added her name into the 'computer' did they say it was okay for her to travel? I would try to get something in writing from them that they have agreed it is okay if they wont change the ticket?

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Timeline

they implied that things would be ok, but i'm not very comfortable with that as you can imagine. i'll try to get something in writing, but i think they'll defer to cbp (customs and border protection). i'm calling them too. didn't press the issue of changing the name, 'cause they said is so matter of factly, like it's not even an option because we bought the ticket 3 weeks ago.

PE.gifUS.gif

01.04.05 -NOA1. 6 days

01.19.05 -NOA2. 21 days

04.06.05 -My fiance returned to the embassy, presented additional documents and obtained her Visa. Yeah! Small bump at the end of the long Visa Journey! 98 days

I'm not sure if this can help or not, because it's kind of a different situation, but last year when we purchased our flight tickets at the airport for me and my husband they mispelled my husband's last name. We didn't notice until the tickets were issued and given to us, of course, and it was already too late because the airline is not authorized to make any changes in the name on the ticket, once it's issued.

What the lady at the counter did is put the additional info on the computer with my husband's correct name and she said they always look at those info, so we would just have to explain the situation, if asked.

Of course I was SO nervous the whole time, I had these terrible visions of my husband being refused onboard because of that stupid mispelling in his last name. So we also went online and added the correct name on the reservation additional info, you can do that just going to their website, entering your reservation code and add the additional info on it (passport #, name, last name, etc.).

Again, I don't know if that will help, because our problem was just a mispelling, so it was a little different. But we were never asked anything, and not one word was said about the mistake in his name. Oh, and they did look at all the info on their computer when we boarded, so that might have helped. :thumbs:

Sorry for the long post, I wish you good luck! (F)

Timeline

tx thanks for your story. very good info. i think we'll be ok, but i still want to get a firm answer from some government/airline SOMEBODY!! can anybody tell me who controls the identification/boarding process? is it the airline, customs and border protection (cbp), tsa, the embassy, or someone else? i've called american airlines, cbp, and visited the tsa website. no place have i gotten a firm answer, just simple advice and opinions. who is it that may or may not permit you from boarding the plane?

PE.gifUS.gif

01.04.05 -NOA1. 6 days

01.19.05 -NOA2. 21 days

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey Ken

Again, I'm in a similar situation, and all these messages got me a little bit nervous, I talked to my boss and he said that he had the same problem last year, he's american and his wife dominican, and she just needed to show some photo ID, She brought her Green Card & marriage certificate and they didn't make a big deal.

I'm not nervous anymore, I'm sure everything is going to be fine..

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
tx thanks for your story. very good info. i think we'll be ok, but i still want to get a firm answer from some government/airline SOMEBODY!! can anybody tell me who controls the identification/boarding process? is it the airline, customs and border protection (cbp), tsa, the embassy, or someone else? i've called american airlines, cbp, and visited the tsa website. no place have i gotten a firm answer, just simple advice and opinions. who is it that may or may not permit you from boarding the plane?

Hi - regarding air tickets, this is how I understand it (I work at a Travel Agency so have a bit of experience) - there can be one letter mistake on the ticket, this is allowable, however the airline is NOT ALLOWED to accept a ticket with a different last name to that on the passport. So it's the airline who can refuse you boarding (and it should be at check-in where this is picked up) and they who are breaking the law (I have no clue what law or regulation it is) if they allow you to travel with a different name on your passport to that on your ticket.

HOWEVER I know that airlines will *sometimes* make allowances and whatever they say before, it comes down to pleading your case at the airport at check-in. For example, I once had a ticket which for some random reason came with my first and last names the wrong way around (I did not notice the mistake when I got the ticket because all it said was for example JANE/SMITH instead of SMITH/JANE) and although it was picked up twice during the four flights the ticket was good for, they allowed me to travel without much of a fuss.

Once you're boarded there wont be a problem with getting into the US, so long as you have a valid Green Card (and if it's in a different name from the passport, a copy of the marriage cert would be a good idea as others have said.)

I hope this helps; personally I would also be concerned in your situation but if there is nothing you can do about the ticket I would do my damndest to get something from AA in writing just to put your mind at rest.

Permanent Resident Since 01/03/2007

N-400 application mailed 3/20/17

Credit card charged 3/25/17

NOA 3/31/17

Timeline

candace and vi thanks for both your comments. i'm am also sure that everything will be fine but i am still nervous.

is it fair to say that if/once she obtains her boarding pass at check-in she will have no problems afterward?

PE.gifUS.gif

01.04.05 -NOA1. 6 days

01.19.05 -NOA2. 21 days

Timeline

Hi Ken and Maritza,

I'm travelling to Peru next Nov. 18. I just got my Green Card, so I don't have enough time to change my passport. My husband was last Monday in the Inmigration Office for a different theme, but he also asked the official what happen in the case, where my last name in the passport is still my maiden name and my green card shows a different last name, he told my husband that I have to bring my ID, my Green Card, my Marriage License and my Passport.

But he also recommended him as soon as I can to change my last name in my passport, it is something that I must do sooner or later, so I'll try to do while I'm in Lima, if I can.

I think everything is going to be ok, don't worry

adrianiux

AOS

06/19/2006 Got Married again in San Francisco City Hall

07/17/2006 Refiling AOS and EAD. Chicago (daughter included as dependent child)

07/26/2006 Got NOAs in the mail

08/09/2006 Biometrics taken, Santa Rosa, CA (my daughter and I)

10/17/2006 Interview in Sacramento, CA just me APPROVED!!!

10/27/2006 GOT MY GREEN CARD

11/30/2006 Got my daughter's EAD

12/07/2006 Got my daughter's SS Card

01/25/2007 My daughter's Interview in Sacramento, CA APPROVED!!!

02/10/2007 Today is my daughter's birthday and today SHE GOT HER GREEN CARD

REMOVING CONDITIONS (I-751)

07/15/2008 I-751 sent (daughter included as dependent child)

07/21/2008 I-751 received (Laguna Niguel-California Center)

07/23/2008 Only one check cashed ($545)

07/26/2008 I 797-NOA Extension Letter received (only for me)

07/28/2008 Check $80 (daughter's) returned

08/04/2008 Infopass!

08/14/2008 Biometrics appointment 8:00 am (just me)

10/16/2008 2pm Interview in Sacramento. APPROVED!

11/06/2008 GOT MY GREENCARD, Expires 10/30/2018

10/23/2008 I-751 sent for daughter, check for $545 included

10/27/2008 I-751 received (Laguna Niguel-California Center)

10/30/2008 check cashed

11/06/2008 My daughter got her I-797-NOA Letter of Extension

08/01/2009 My daughter got her GREENCARD, 10 years

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Here is what we did . We purchased the tickets in my married name so we found out that we should have gotten them in my maiden name so they will match my passport.

We called the airline and explained the mistake and they canceled our ticket and let us purchase the same ticket under my married name.

Ana-Romania3dflagsdotcom_roman_2fawm.gif

Kenn-Texas3dflagsdotcom_us_tx_2fawm.gif,United States of America

Please note that im only giving away my personal opinion.My advice is not legal.

Timeline

My wife has travelled twice to Peru and had no problem with her married name on the ticket. We did go to the Peruvian Consulate in Washington to register our marriage and change the name in her passport and DENI but because they put only a stamp in there, it is very confusing to airline personnel. We flew American Airlines twice and my wife had to present her passport & green card both leaving the US and Peru. She never encountered any problems whatsoever.

BTW the process of registering the marriage and getting a DENI is about 45 days from the time you apply until the documents show back up at the consulate. Make sure you call the consulate ahead of time as the website is vague of all the documents you need. And if you are going to register your marriage with the civil registry you will need 2 witnesses with either DENI's or Passports. The witnesses do not have to be Peruvian citizens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.