kenandmaritza

Traveling to Peru with different names: Problems?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

My wife is traveling home in December. We booked her ticket in her married name (same as green card) but her Peru passport is obviously in her maiden name. She also has her DNI (Peru ID) in her maiden name. I contacted American Airlines to see if we needed to change the name and they said they cannot change the name on the ticket, but thought there might be a problem since the name doesn't match the passport. We don't have time to change her name on her passport (could take up to 2 1/2 months)

Looking for advice / experiences.

PE.gifUS.gif

12.06.04 -Divorce finalized.

12.29.04 -Sent I-129F application.

12.31.04 -VSC received. 2 days

01.04.05 -NOA1. 6 days

01.19.05 -NOA2. 21 days

01.27.05 -Received at NVC. 29 days

01.31.05 -Sent to Embassy ?. 33 days

01.31.05 -Received by Embassy. 33 days

02.07.05 -Received Packet 3&4, but incorrect. 40 days

02.18.05 -Received Correct Packet 3&4. 51 days

03.22.05 -Interview APPROVED! but Conditionally. 83 days

04.06.05 -My fiance returned to the embassy, presented additional documents and obtained her Visa. Yeah! Small bump at the end of the long Visa Journey! 98 days

04.15.05 -Lima a Miami a Philadelphia ... my baby arrives! 107 days

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Legally one is required to have a ticket in the same name that is on the passport. Even if she's got married and now uses her married name on everything, her tickets should be in her maiden name, until/unless she can update her passport.

She may not be able to get on the plane with ticket and passport in different names.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

The airline says they won't change the name on the ticket. So what do we do now? Do we have any options?

PE.gifUS.gif

12.06.04 -Divorce finalized.

12.29.04 -Sent I-129F application.

12.31.04 -VSC received. 2 days

01.04.05 -NOA1. 6 days

01.19.05 -NOA2. 21 days

01.27.05 -Received at NVC. 29 days

01.31.05 -Sent to Embassy ?. 33 days

01.31.05 -Received by Embassy. 33 days

02.07.05 -Received Packet 3&4, but incorrect. 40 days

02.18.05 -Received Correct Packet 3&4. 51 days

03.22.05 -Interview APPROVED! but Conditionally. 83 days

04.06.05 -My fiance returned to the embassy, presented additional documents and obtained her Visa. Yeah! Small bump at the end of the long Visa Journey! 98 days

04.15.05 -Lima a Miami a Philadelphia ... my baby arrives! 107 days

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

I'm peruvian too, I'm traveling to Peru for Christmas and I bought my tkt with my married name, my passport is under my maiden name BUt my Visa under my married name, little confusing right?? anyway, I'm bringing my marriage certificate, DNI, Green Card with me. I don't think that she will have any problem if she brings those documents.

When is she flying???

Good Luck!!

Vi :thumbs:

sofsmile-1.jpg

I'm peruvian too, I'm traveling to Peru for Christmas and I bought my tkt with my married name, my passport is under my maiden name BUt my Visa under my married name, little confusing right?? anyway, I'm bringing my marriage certificate, DNI, Green Card with me. I don't think that she will have any problem if she brings those documents.

When is she flying???

Good Luck!!

I think this makes 2 people in this thread now that will have a problem.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Timeline

It is against international law for an airline company to allow somwone to board a flight if the name on the ticket does not match the name on your passport.... they sre not interested in the name on your Greencard or your marriage certificate...

The lady in front of us in the check-in line has the same issue.... she was not allowed to travel...

Kezzie

Timeline
It is against international law for an airline company to allow somwone to board a flight if the name on the ticket does not match the name on your passport.... they sre not interested in the name on your Greencard or your marriage certificate...

The lady in front of us in the check-in line has the same issue.... she was not allowed to travel...

Kezzie

I just came from a vacation trip to Mexico last september, I bought my plane tickets with my maiden name since it was the one matching my passport, every security control I had to go through I showed my passport and my green card... the looked at both. I flew with American Airlines and they did the same thing, looked at both. Before buying my plane tickets I looked for information online... "buy plane tickets matching the name in your passport..."

On the way back, Dallas was our port of entry to the united states, the officer looked at both again, he asked me the weirdest question... "have you ever reported your passport lost or stolen?" I said "NO!"... he asked how long we were in Mexico and why we went there... "10 days, on vacation"... that was it! He didnt ask for the marriage certificate or anything, the passport and green card was enough.

C (Oregon, USA) & Melissa (Lima, PERU)

---

K1- 129F: Profile - Signature and Story

--

05/27/2005 We are married!

06/02/2005 Got Marriage Certificate

06/02/2005 Change name in SSC

06/11/2005 Receive SSC

--

AOS: Profile - Signature and Story

--

EAD: Profile - Signature and Story

--

10/06/2006 Find out we are pregnant!!

05/29/2007 Our boy is born

--

08/14/2007 Start gathering documents for I751

08/29/2007 Mailed I751

08/30/2007 I751 received at NSC

09/27/2007 Received NOA1 in the mail, dated 08/30/2007

10/04/2007 Received Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2007 Biometrics 1pm

11/30/2007 Card production ordered!! Whoohooo!!!!

Wish Upon a Plane

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

When is she flying???

Good Luck!!

:wacko: I'm flying to Peru in february.

Im probably do the same bring whit me my passport, my green card, my marriage certificate, DNI... Is that enought?? :unsure:

Tell me Vi mazzella if you have some problems whit you fly to Peru....

Your flight ticket MUST match your Passport... it is the passport that allowes you to travel internationally not your greencard...

The Greencard only gets you into the USA it is not for international travel... yes you may be asked to show it when you check in but the name on the ticket has to match the name on the passport... that is international law...

Kezzie

Timeline
Your flight ticket MUST match your Passport... it is the passport that allowes you to travel internationally not your greencard...

The Greencard only gets you into the USA it is not for international travel... yes you may be asked to show it when you check in but the name on the ticket has to match the name on the passport... that is international law...

Kezzie

Thanks for the tip

Maybe I could change my last name on my passport, I have couples months before my trip to Peru but If not possible I just will show my green card.

Thanks for the tip

Maybe I could change my last name on my passport, I have couples months before my trip to Peru but If not possible I just will show my green card.

That is what I am trying to tell you showing your Greencard is not going to get you on a flight out of the US to Peru.... the airline will not let you board if the name on your ticket is not the same as the name on your passport.....

Now if the name on your ticket is your maiden name and the name on your passport is your maiden name and the name on your Greencard is your married name then you need to take along a copy of your marriage certificate to show the link in your names when you are re-entering the USA...

But to get on the plain in the first place the ticket must be in the same name as the PASSPORT not the Greencard..

Kezzie

Timeline

that is what I am trying to tell you showing your Greencard is not going to get you on a flight out of the US to Peru.... the airline will not let you board if the name on your ticket is not the same as the name on your passport.....

Now if the name on your ticket is your maiden name and the name on your passport is your maiden name and the name on your Greencard is your married name then you need to take along a copy of your marriage certificate to show the link in your names when you are re-entering the USA...

But to get on the plain in the first place the ticket must be in the same name as the PASSPORT not the Greencard..

Kezzie

thank U again ;)

I understand what a u saying...

I just was thinking a posibility to change my name on my passport that has my maiden name for my married name in order to avoid all those things..

but If cant do it because we live a little far from the peruvian consulate... I could :wacko: show my marriage certificate to re-enter to America...and my green card too...

Timeline
Are your tickets in your Married name or maiden name?

Kezzie

I havent bought the tickets yet...

we are planning go to Peru for january next year

That's why I 'm interested in this topic

:P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.