cellardoor10

K-1 Past 5 Months, Should We Contact Senator?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I’ve been perusing VisaJourney for some time, and I’m grateful that a supportive community like this exists. :thumbs:

It’s been over five months since I mailed out my K-1 application (before May 1st). Under the advice of my lawyer, about 3 months into the processing time, I submitted an expedite request based on an emergent situation. Two months have passed since my expedite request was received by the Vermont Service Center, and I have heard nothing back yet(not even a denial.) Furthermore, the last two times I called the NSC, they told me that normal processing time was 5 months. When I called again yesterday to find out the status of my expedite request, (which they still had no answer for), I was informed that the processing time was now 7 months. They are still working on Feb. 28th applications!

I’m not sure what else I can do. My SO and I really don’t want to needlessly wait 2 more months, when we definitely know that some couples who submitted at the same time as us have already had their application approved. Is it worth asking a senator for a letter at this point? Could a senator’s letter possibly annoy anyone at the service center and cause more harm than good? Some insight would be deeply appreciated. I don’t want to rock the boat if there is the risk of it tipping over.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I've been perusing VisaJourney for some time, and I'm grateful that a supportive community like this exists. :thumbs:

It's been over five months since I mailed out my K-1 application (before May 1st). Under the advice of my lawyer, about 3 months into the processing time, I submitted an expedite request based on an emergent situation. Two months have passed since my expedite request was received by the Vermont Service Center, and I have heard nothing back yet(not even a denial.) Furthermore, the last two times I called the NSC, they told me that normal processing time was 5 months. When I called again yesterday to find out the status of my expedite request, (which they still had no answer for), I was informed that the processing time was now 7 months. They are still working on Feb. 28th applications!

I'm not sure what else I can do. My SO and I really don't want to needlessly wait 2 more months, when we definitely know that some couples who submitted at the same time as us have already had their application approved. Is it worth asking a senator for a letter at this point? Could a senator's letter possibly annoy anyone at the service center and cause more harm than good? Some insight would be deeply appreciated. I don't want to rock the boat if there is the risk of it tipping over.

Processing is backlogged across the board. You may have seen several posts here on VJ about USCIS moving files to other offices to get things moving along. There is little that a Senator's office can do.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello its normal to feel like that.like you dont know whats going on to your papers. the normal time is 5 to 8 months befor you get your approval from the NVC,, nothing to do just wait...it would come im sure you can get from them..gudluck to you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I’ve been perusing VisaJourney for some time, and I’m grateful that a supportive community like this exists. :thumbs:

It’s been over five months since I mailed out my K-1 application (before May 1st). Under the advice of my lawyer, about 3 months into the processing time, I submitted an expedite request based on an emergent situation. Two months have passed since my expedite request was received by the Vermont Service Center, and I have heard nothing back yet(not even a denial.) Furthermore, the last two times I called the NSC, they told me that normal processing time was 5 months. When I called again yesterday to find out the status of my expedite request, (which they still had no answer for), I was informed that the processing time was now 7 months. They are still working on Feb. 28th applications!

I’m not sure what else I can do. My SO and I really don’t want to needlessly wait 2 more months, when we definitely know that some couples who submitted at the same time as us have already had their application approved. Is it worth asking a senator for a letter at this point? Could a senator’s letter possibly annoy anyone at the service center and cause more harm than good? Some insight would be deeply appreciated. I don’t want to rock the boat if there is the risk of it tipping over.

I literally received my response from my senator this week and the response was basically that the USCIS still allows for 30 days even after your five months processing time before you're considered out of normal processing time. It's effectively a USCIS C.Y.A move. Only thing I can tell you is be patient. I don't think a senatorial letter will do much good unless you know the senator personally.

There are some of us April filers here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/361055-i-129f-april-2012-filers/page__pid__5732033__st__285#entry5732033

As you will see, you are not alone, and there is nothing we can do about it until the time span reaches a certain point. USCIS updated the processing times page on Sept. 13th. It shows February 27th rather than 5 months now. This date only affirms that there is a backlog. It is not reliable for much else. If you look at VSC approvals for I-129F in Igor's List, you will see it's a bag of mixed nuts. Some late February filers ARE just getting approved. However, the majority of the current approvals on Visa Journey alone have been March filers with several April filers thrown into the mix. It is moving forward in some form or fashion. The only thing we can really do is wait at this point.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

220 days and counting and no NoA2 from VCS. But life still goes on. I am sending my loved one to Japan for 2 months to visit her sisters there. That way I do not have to listen to where is the approval where is the approval. Plus the weather is changing there and she will see what it feels like and she will be able to buy winter clothes for her and the little one because it looks as though it could be early March before they get here.

I did write to my Senator and did get a prompt reply back stating that their office has received a number of complaints about VCS in regards to the delays. I wrote to my Senator mainly about the directive that was issued end of August and the fact that Illegals were getting there U Visas approved in only 3 weeks and our applications are taking months after months and we are the ones going about it the correct way.

I am very glad that I have a very strong relationship with my loved one and we have survived every test that we have come up against. We just past our 6th year anniversary of going out with each other and this is just another bump in the road. If you truly have a strong committed relationship and you love each other then you should be able to survive the wait.

No it is not easy and it does take an emotional and financial toll on you and it is a hard pill to swallow when you see others getting there K1 applications approved before you but in the end the wait will have been well worth it.

So hang in there for there are thousands of other folks in the same boat as we are.

In a few months CVS folks will be complaining that VCS is ahead and the vicious circle of the K1 process continues.......

Edited by mik2012

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

VSC is a mess right now. i really feel sorry for all those peeps still waiting in there. i thought they would have gotten their act together by now but i was wrong. good luck to you all :thumbs:

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Processing is backlogged across the board. You may have seen several posts here on VJ about USCIS moving files to other offices to get things moving along. There is little that a Senator's office can do.

Roger that....keep waiting. Good friends took 10 months, no RFEs, just took that long.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Although I agree that USCIS probably won't move faster because of an inquiry, that really isn't the main reason to ask. Each congressional office has a staffer that specializes in immigration issues, and they USCIS has special liasons to deal with these staffers (and others no doubt). If you have a conversation with the staffer, and your visa application is past due, they can quickly make sure that it is on track, and not lost in transit or on the desk of an adjudicator that is taking leave or something.

I went to my Congressman when we went past the USCIS projected time, and got a prompt response and some email follow up from the staffer who helped us out. She seemed professionally interested in the USCIS meeting the projected time they gave her. I did not ask for a letter or anything, just to have them check on the file.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

there are several ways to push the intake on an expedite request:

1. submit via seperate letter with the I-129F

2. call into USCIS Hotline, get a Tier 2, follow instructions for intake exactly or

3. send off a a seperate letter and pray.

Which method did you use, 2 or 3 ?

Do This Today -> IMO, you really should chase down the expedite request with an ISO, a Tier 2 Human - NOT the first person that answers the phone.

Describe, exactly, how the expedite request intake was handled by yer attorney.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

220 days and counting and no NoA2 from VCS. But life still goes on. I am sending my loved one to Japan for 2 months to visit her sisters there. That way I do not have to listen to where is the approval where is the approval. Plus the weather is changing there and she will see what it feels like and she will be able to buy winter clothes for her and the little one because it looks as though it could be early March before they get here.

I agree with you ... nice job on finding other things to help her out. I sent my fiancee to some dental appointments to get her and her daughters teeth taken care of :D

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You will get there. Patience is learned through this process. Good luck.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

This is copied out of my timeline through VSC:

Processing

Estimates/Stats :Your I-129f was approved in 251 days from your NOA1 date.

Your I-130 was approved in 265 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 314 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.