Jahan&Veena

RFE for I-485 impacts EAD application?

9 posts in this topic

Hi

Today we received a RFE for I-485 asking to submit tax returns or Return Transcript from IRS to support the I-864 (we sent copies of W-2s maybe they want originals). We filed for I-765 (EAD) with the I-485 and have NOT received an RFE for that application, only for the I-485.

However, on the letter it says that you are only eligible for interim EAD 90 days from when we receive the information we have requested.

Is this is a general statement on ALL RFEs regardless of what application they are for? The online case status for I-765 does NOT say this, simply says that we have received your application and a decision will be made as soon as processing is complete bla bla...but for I-485 the online status mentions the RFE.

Please shed some light on this.

Many thanks,

Jahan&Christine.

Click here for our complete timeline; from K1 all the way to citizenship.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We got the same letter. In our RFE, it said the same thing about our EAD as well and we about freaked. When we sent back the RFE information they resumed processing and Joel got his EAC a couple weeks later, so Joel got his card within the initial 90 days. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Thanks KarenCee, it did help us. Now I can breathe. I panicked thinking that I might be stuck in home for maybe an extra month...phew!

Filed: Timeline

JahanXChris,

Maybe they want what they told you they want - a copy of the [complete] tax return or an IRS tax transcript.

Yodrak

Hi

Today we received a RFE for I-485 asking to submit tax returns or Return Transcript from IRS to support the I-864 (we sent copies of W-2s maybe they want originals). .....

Many thanks,

Jahan&Christine.

You are right Yodrak, so we quickly downloaded and faxed form 4506-T to IRS (available from irs.gov) and should have the Return Transcript within 10 business days.

Thanks for your input!

Jahan

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
KarenCee,

How long is Joel's EAC valid for? (1 yr or 2 yrs?)

THanks,

rozytc

It's good for one year. If by some chance his AOS isn't approved and GC in hand at the end of one year, then he'll have to apply again.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

An RFE for an I485 does halt processing of concurrently filed petitions.

The quicker you return the requested evidence the quicker processing of interim benefits can resume.

Thanks Rebecca, we are taking it seriously and will return the requested info ASAP. My biometrics are on Nov 4th so EAD is on halt until then anyway...and hopefully soon after the biometrics (or before if possible) we aim to return the requested info.

Jahan/Christine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.