Ashley_and_Zhenya

Who DIDN'T meet online??

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

She did. Never forget that. Never forget that these people followed you and expect you to lead. Never forget what you did to be together.

How true.

Similar to Gary and Alla, Alla and I owe a lot to mere chance and luck (mostly derived by our individual and collective hard work) and now due to our commitment to be committed to our relationship and our family.

And now we just expand and continue the hard work and are happier every day.....and Leonid is a good Kindergarten student who gets to ride the big yellow School Bus every day and has Soccer practice and games twice a week and will be signed up for winter wrestling and swimming at the high school and has his own big pool and swing-set and rabbits and chickens and goes camping all over the place, especially the beach and has Russian speaking children his age who visit to play.

Most importantly, his life is very good and very promising.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Okay, So I found Visa Journey at the very beginning of this whole K1 process in April when I filed, and it has been very interesting to read people's stories. However, it JUST occurred to me last week that MOST of the people on Visa Journey met online! Now, I have no problem with this, but it did also occur to me that those of us who didn't meet online are probably NOT on Visa Journey! The nature of the beast of meeting online means you will continue to post and participate on some sort of forum. So, I wonder, especially for the RUB people, who met in person? Particularly, who met in the states? My fiance was on an F1 Visa for a few years before I met him. We were engaged within 6 months. I called things off for a few months and he finished school and went home. NOW, I'm waiting through this HORRIBLY LONG AND EXCRUCIATINGLY PAINFUL WAITING PERIOD OF OVER 6 MONTHS!!!! <sigh> I apologize for the melo-dramatic outburst, but this is just DANG hard! We were in the same town for soo long before all this. Then he had to leave and I had NO clue it would be this long. I especially didn't realize how bitter I would be that others who applied AFTER me would get approval so fast! I have a sense of injustice, and even though I GUESS I'm happy they get to be together, I really am NOT happy! I want MY ZHENYA here again! Yeah, I probably should have just married him when we he was on his F1, but we were not ready.

Any thoughts? Is waiting as hard when you never had the luxury of living 10 minutes away from each other and getting so used to being in the same place?

I met my husband on facebook. I have noticed that some CO's seem to doubt that people can meet on facebook by accident if they are from different countries. I wonder why? This is the age of the internet. And yes it is very hard for everyone no matter if it takes 5 months or longer. My husband and I have be waiting over 2 years to live in the same country. We will be married 2 years October 16, 2012.

Edited by Dumb/Dumber

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

There is no accounting for idiots, Brad. Some people actually do get up from their computers and GO PLACES which often entails meeting people. At any rate, who gives a rat's @ss what they think?

As far as time spent together, I think it has some value in possibly eliminating surprises down the road that could be "deal breakers"if you think minor character flaws are deal breakers then it is best to spend a lot of time together. The flawed part about that is the time spent is usually like a vacation...or IS a vacation... for one or both of you. Absent the stresses of life, having to pay for things, working together on life's problems and challenges...the time together amounts to sex an sight-seeing. Not difficult to take. She arrives and the next day it is getting children enrolled in school, SS cards, assessment tests, wedding arrangements, replacing all the stuff they left behind, redecorating the house, health insurance, bank accounts, yada yada and some of the glow fades. Do you put your heads together and say "we did this, now let's DO IT!" or do you say "Wait this is not like the 6 days in Kiev at all!" and run away? When she cries in the middle of the night because she is homesick, what do you do? When she is frustrated by not being able to get places or do things as quickly as others because as much as she thought she knew the language, this is actually harder than she thought. When she is the last one to finish the exams and not the first and she always was...what do you do? When the children and she all need you at once, when the papers oile up and they all need to be done by tomorrow...what do you do? Do you say, "this is my family, I will work for them 23 hours a day" or do you say "#######! I did not sign up for THIS" ???

Therein lies the difference.

One man will be considered GOLD, the other is just the same sort of trash available everywhere in Ukraine.

I will only say that my life with Alla and my family has been wonderful and difficult. Greatly challenging and greatly rewarding. Not easy, but SO worth it. And now I just smile at the people who think the visa process is difficult. Seriously, it barely rises to the level of a nuisance. A trivial "thing".

Of all the 1 million things, tiny things, that could have prevented me from being at that place at that time to literally be in line for bus tickets behind Alla in Prague CZ...can you imagine the odds of that? And then I said, "Let me take your bags...follow me" when it was clear she was not understandinmg the clerk and I understood, "hey, this hottie is staying at the same hotel I am" And our lives and that of our children's were changed forever. The quantum physics of it alone scares the bejeezus out of me! The movie "The Butterfly effect" comes to mind often. That moment meant Sergey got a paid tuition to Rice University for a Doctoral Degree, Alla got a Masters from St Micheals in Vermont, Pasha is attending classes at UVM while still in high school! Alla and Pasha are citizens now and Alla will vote in November in a US election.

Pasha has a Burton snowboard in his room because I took Alla's bag and said "follow me".

She did. Never forget that. Never forget that these people followed you and expect you to lead. Never forget what you did to be together.

Awesome!!! Thanks for this post.

NOA 1 November 15, 2010

NOA 2 August 25, 2011

Closed NVC Ocotber 11, 2011

Interview Date: January 12,2012

Thank you my wonderful God in Heaven.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

And now we just expand and continue the hard work and are happier every day.....and Leonid is a good Kindergarten student who gets to ride the big yellow School Bus every day and has Soccer practice and games twice a week and will be signed up for winter wrestling and swimming at the high school and has his own big pool and swing-set and rabbits and chickens and goes camping all over the place, especially the beach and has Russian speaking children his age who visit to play.

Most importantly, his life is very good and very promising.

:D

It doesn't get better than that Phil. Well, it does, but only when you see them grow and accomplish more. One day you will be even more proud and none of the money or worry or challenges will matter. You won't even think of that. We saw Sergey get his Masters Degree and was awarded the "Faculty Award", similar to Valedictorian for his department at Moscow Phys Tech. You can't buy that from me for 10 million dollars. He gave his sash to Alla and I and it has a place of honor in our home.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary,

That's a wonderful response and I couldn't agree more. When I think about all that my life was lacking before Lena came into my life and what it's like now I am just amazed that is has happened. But, more importantly it is the idea that, "Yes, we can merge two different cultures, background, life experiences and families and it still works!" :dance:

I will be the first to admit to anyone that there have been problems, misunderstandings and disappointments in our life, but then who doesn't have that. If you have been married before you understand the sacrifices each has to make to accommodate the other. A marriage is give and take. If that doesn't happen you will have failure. I ask what did I have to give up and what did I get? The scale tips a lot further towards what I got. (L)

Thanks for encapsulating it so well Gary! :thumbs:

You know I think I am the luckiest guy in the world. Alla is so beautiful, even more now than when I met her. She simply paralyzes me with her beauty all day every day and she is such a class act, she looks great washing the floor. :lol: Her directness and openness, her acceptance of all things natural and all things between men and women is just so refreshing. There is no game playing. Oh if she is upset you KNOW IT...the "Alla Show" is ON! :lol: But at the end of the day, nearly every day, we share a tub, a Russian fairy tale and take up about 18" of a king size bed all night every night, and it is a good day. No matter what happened, it is a good day.

Our marriage has had challenges that others do not have, but that all who marry RUB women will have. At least to a point. Sure they are beautiful and caring beyond description. But there were so many challenges, so much to do. And the things that only happen with marriages such as this...homesickness, frustration at being a foreigner, the feelings that an intelligent woman has that she is "stupid" because she has a harder time in school than native speakers. Even trying to find the products they like to eat and drink...you guys know what I mean. This forum is great support and laughs too. Yes you will laugh...when she says "lub" for "lb." And sometimes it will take all your patience, all your love and you will have to say to yourself "we wanted this, now do it" You will all go through this, many of you have and know what I mean. I do not care if you have lots of money or not, lots f things or not, you will go through it. You cannot buy your way out of it. The best way for Alla is to hold her, hug her, and EXPLAIN why everything will be OK. Not just SAY it. It may be a charater thing or maybe personal I think it is a charatar trait of RUB women. They do not buy into happy horsesh*t stories and you aren't going to blow any sunshine up her skirt...OK?

When she says "I am afraid I will fail in school" It does no good for me to say "I believe in you" even though I do. That's just so much BS to her. Instead, say "It does not matter Alla, stop worrying. No matter what, I will be here and we will be OK, nothing will ever be worse than it is right now" and then :D Slogans and phrases mean nothing, they do not want "pep talks" and muchy inspirational posters. They want to know WHY it will be OK and HOW it will be OK and they will only believe that from someone the believe can MAKE IT OK. That needs to be you.

In our case I had to do this for three people. A teenager who was transported 6000 miles and put into a school where he barely spoke the language and we both decided it was going to be best for him to "sink or swim", total immersion. We tossed him in and made him swim. I was there with him every night I got him involved in basketball so he could use the language having fun. I think kids learn faster than from other kids. He excelled beyond our wildest imagination. But it was not easy and it was not done around watching TV, drinking beer, or football games. It was done instead of everything else. The complications of a resident goign to school in a forein country were handled, very carefully, paying close attention to detail. Applying for many universities here because we all decided it would be best if part of Sergey's education was done int he US.

It all takes a LOT of time and patience and it is ALL more difficult than a visa. But it is SO worth it.

In the middle of this, I keeled over one day from a heart attack. Had to have quad bypass surgery and when I opened my eyes, as it turned out 2 days later, Alla was looking directly at me and all 4 boys were in the room...Sergey having come from Moscow. Yes it is worth it.

It does not matter HOW you meet them, you just need to be prepared for the challenges and be committed to meet them and be the leader.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

It does not matter HOW you meet them, you just need to be prepared for the challenges and be committed to meet them and be the leader.

And therein lies the difference between those of us who have a successful relationship and those who do not, did not, never could do it or were scammed. When I read all their "stories", it's usually some flaw in the preparation for the challenge or noncommitment that leads to us talking about them.

Timeline

I would like to opine something else on this matter (moi? ne pas moi!)

There seems to be a very common thread that the people waiting for visas seem, to me, to be very impatient and stressed over the time it takes to get the visa. I can not determine if this is more pronounced among those that met online but I am guessing that it is. If someone wants to research that, they are welcome to it.

I have nothing agisnt meeting online or by catalog or whatever. Probably better than a lot of the women I met in clubs and restaraunts, but I was only practicing anyway. But there seems to be this "text it to me", "fax it to me", "scan it and email it" mentality and also the expectation that there is some sort of tracking number that pinpoints your file every day...and there is not and there is no intention for that to ever happen.

I will just say to those in waiting, that no matter how long it takes the waiting for the visa is nothing, it is immediately forgotten and you will discover that there were 10,000 things you should have been doing instead of checking on that visa and you did not have time to do them. I waited 50 years to meet Alla, I hope to have 30 more with her (crossing fingera and hoping the grafts don't blow out during acrobatic sex!) What's a few months? Less time than you wait for a baby, less time than most people wait for a wedding reception hall. Less time than a building permit in some cases.

My Ukrainain wife, (I do not know about the rest) is very patient as long as something is moving forward, as long as we have done what we need to and she understands the process. We have an I-130 in process right now and neither of us has checked on it and neither of us has said to the other "what about Mom's petition" Mom has not asked about it. We send it in and wait for the letter to come. It WILL be approved because I did it right and Alla is entitled as a citizen to petition her mother...nothing to worry about. I never checked on the AOS or ROC or the N-400. It all happens in due time and it is all nothing more than routine paperwork, less complicated than a tax return or college application. If I were calling every day or every week she would first ask if I were running a high fever and if I were sick. If I had been that way from the beginning she would not be here. It is not generally an attractive charactar trait. Especially not for RUB women that like to think their men are in control. Just say "It takes a long time and we will get a letter" and that is that. Stop fretting over it. If you fret over it then something is wrong. What's wrong? Damn, never let them see you sweat. :lol:

And I assure you that none of you in waiting are more in love than I was or I am. I went to Ukraine 6 times during our relatively brief wait (Alla was HERE 6 months after filing the petition). I hated to be separated from her...so I went there every 4 weeks! My employer was not too pleased. So what? Good wives are 1 million times more rare than good jobs. I still hate to be separated from her and it is a rare night we are not together but when we are not I would rather stay up all night and work, catch up on reports or paperwork. It just is not the same.

Anyway, hang in there. It all comes in time and it is all worth the wait.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary and Alla,

Your sense of family is strong and to some, I'm sure, quite admirable. What I fail to see is how any of what you say makes you, Alla, her children (because we really don't hear about your sons anymore) or your relationship any more special than any other couple at VJ. These qualities are not exclusive to the RUB culture, nor RUB woman, regardless of how loud or often you proclaim. I would make a bet that most couples, who live together, actually have sex. Shocker! I would even go out on a limb and say some of those couples even sleep naked next to their spouse who they adore and find attractive.

Your ease and willingness to discuss your wife's sexual proclivities is offensive at best, but downright exploitative on a public forum. In the end, you actually tarnish this relationship you hold so dear and in such high regard. Clearly, your desperate need for approval compels you to share some of the most private and intimate details of your life on here. You may not have noticed, but you are the only poster among hundreds who does this. I'm sure your anecdotes thrill the Schlubs™ to no end, but it leaves you sitting there in a less than flattering light as you choose to put everyone else down in the process.

A man who truly loved his wife would certainly not sully her image by reducing her to nothing more than a willing cumdumpster on a public forum. You're a stranger, amongst strangers, with a God complex who needs to learn a bit of decorum and kindly stfu.

Mr VJ Superperson, who can not even fill out a timeline and not even provide the minimum of a profile should just be quiet and hope that your relationship....or relationship that you hope will come to pass, will do just that and come one iota close to what you read.

Gary is very proud of his wife and his family and he ought to be since my wife has met his wife and everything he speaks of is true. If his detailed descriptions of his relationship with his wife bothers you.....then you ought to self-reflect and take that to yourself. We here on the RUB understand and experience the same with our spouses....maybe not as verbose, but we do for sure.

They, and many of us, are not hindered or bothered by what others consider to be the norm by which we should live our lives......we are not part of that party that must and should and will conform to the party line. Maybe you are and do and your president thanks you for your conformity.

Please go away and leave us to our happiness. Many of us also express our thanks for our relationships....I have just as Gary has but I use a different tact. Kip uses another and Slim and Brad and Oliver and many others do differently. WE all understand each other and you do not.

Time to go; must get the little one to bed for school tomorrow and then shower and bed for us. Yes we are mostly naked next to each other, every night, and none of our daily issues are brought into the bedroom...that is sacred ground. Use your imagination?! I too, am the luckiest guy in the world... and my wife considers herself to be the luckiest gal in the world... and little Leonid only cares about playing with his friends. Put it all into proper perspective.

Edited by baron555

Timeline

If I post something about sex or RUB women, whether it be "good" ior whether it be "bad" there will be someone from another forum who will find something negative, so I really don't care. I am married to a very beautiful and straight forward woman who will tell you the same things I will, or say them in front of our sons (which the same will people will castigate me for talking about favorably) The boys have threatened to take away our car keys if we do not stop having sex in the car...how's that? How do they know? They catch us coming in in various stages of undress late at night. So what? We laugh about it. What about you? My wife has no hang ups about her sexuality. She freely and openly discusses sex with our sons for their own protection and so we do not have to complain about the schools teaching our children about sex. That is pretty nice.

If you haven't noticed, I really do not care what others think, I say it how it is and realize there is no making some people happy...so I don't try.

We are happy, some people are not. That's a shame. Shoulda married a RUB woman.

And Sergey is doing well at Rice University, has a nice apartment. Pasha attends high school 3 days per week and UVM two days per week because he finished all the high school core classes last year and now they are paying for him to take University courses. Alla is in nursing school, so far with a 95 avaerage on her tests and quizes, she begins her clinicals this week

And meanwhile, the sloth doesn't even have a family. You should try it.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Mr VJ Superperson, who can not even fill out a timeline and not even provide the minimum of a profile should just be quiet and hope that your relationship....or relationship that you hope will come to pass, will do just that and come one iota close to what you read.

Gary is very proud of his wife and his family and he ought to be since my wife has met his wife and everything he speaks of is true. If his detailed descriptions of his relationship with his wife bothers you.....then you ought to self-reflect and take that to yourself. We here on the RUB understand and experience the same with our spouses....maybe not as verbose, but we do for sure.

They, and many of us, are not hindered or bothered by what others consider to be the norm by which we should live our lives......we are not part of that party that must and should and will conform to the party line. Maybe you are and do and your president thanks you for your conformity.

Please go away and leave us to our happiness. Many of us also express our thanks for our relationships....I have just as Gary has but I use a different tact. Kip uses another and Slim and Brad and Oliver and many others do differently. WE all understand each other and you do not.

Time to go; must get the little one to bed for school tomorrow and then shower and bed for us. Yes we are mostly naked next to each other, every night, and none of our daily issues are brought into the bedroom...that is sacred ground. Use your imagination?! I too, am the luckiest guy in the world... and my wife considers herself to be the luckiest gal in the world... and little Leonid only cares about playing with his friends. Put it all into proper perspective.

:thumbs:

90% of marital problems are solved by taking off each others clothes. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee' and I initially met here in Texas over 16 months ago, I was on a business trip and she was here (from the Philippines) on a short-term visa. As difficult as it may be to believe, it was truly love at first sight for us. We filed our I129-F back in early February 2012 and FINALLY received our NOA2 about a week ago. 7 months and 4 days! We have heard that Embassy interviews in Manila are taking about 2 months to be scheduled (allegedly due to the flooding in Manila earlier this year which caused a back-up) so we are yet again waiting very, very patiently for the bureaucratic wheels to turn. If that schedule holds true, we are expecting her arrival in The US sometime in December. Time goes by agonizingly slowly when you are in love and apart, and having "faith" in "the system" is NOT my strong suit but, at least the wheels are turning and since receiving the NOA2 I am more encouraged than ever that this difficult first process will soon be completed. This process will continue for several more years (even after we are married) before it is finalized and we both have accepted the responsibilty of seeing it through to the ultimate end which will result in her becoming an official citizen of The USA. That will truly be the 2nd happiest day of my life, the happiest day will be when we are finally married and together forever. We all suffer during this difficult time, it's simply part of the process.

I believe a relatively small number of dual-culture couples actually initially meet in person, whether in one's own home country or abroad as the case may be. I also believe that there are in fact many differences between those who do VS those who meet initially via the internet. Additionally, I do believe that true love is possible in either case and I commend anyone whom can succeed in this most difficult of human endeavors. True love is as rare as it is beautiful no matter where or how it happens, when it happens between 2 people from different countries the difficulties and rewards are magnified immensely. In our relationship, the odds of us meeting at all were absolutely astronomical. Everything had to happen in the absolutely exact correct way, in the exactly correct time, and in such a perfect fashion that it boggles the mind to even consider how and why. With that said, I firmly believe that we are truly meant to be together despite our vast differences. I suspect the same is true for a large percentage of the other couples here on VJ, much more so than in many so-called "normal" couples whom meet domestically.

What is more interesting to me is the reason behind why so many Americans, primarily American men, (I can only speak from an American/male perspective although I also know that many other men from other Western Nations also seek the same) seek and pursue relationships with women from other countries. I'm sure that is a subject which may be best posed on another forum and will solicit a wide variety of diverse and passionate responses. Suffice to say in my own personal case, and quite by chance(?), I finally found in my Filipina fiancee' all of the qualities which seem to be exceedingly rare in the "typical" American woman. Regardless, I fell in love with HER as the person she truly is, if she had come from Pluto I would still feel the same. I consider myself to be a truly blessed man and to my amazement, she feels the same about me.

Depite the many difficulties involved in obtaining the necessary requirements to marry someone from another country, the wait for a visa is a small price to pay in exchange for securing someone you truly love and whom truly loves you in return. As for me, I would walk on my lips across the Pacific Ocean just to see her smiling face again.

"We Are The Art"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There is no accounting for idiots, Brad. Some people actually do get up from their computers and GO PLACES which often entails meeting people. At any rate, who gives a rat's @ss what they think?

As far as time spent together, I think it has some value in possibly eliminating surprises down the road that could be "deal breakers"if you think minor character flaws are deal breakers then it is best to spend a lot of time together. The flawed part about that is the time spent is usually like a vacation...or IS a vacation... for one or both of you. Absent the stresses of life, having to pay for things, working together on life's problems and challenges...the time together amounts to sex an sight-seeing. Not difficult to take. She arrives and the next day it is getting children enrolled in school, SS cards, assessment tests, wedding arrangements, replacing all the stuff they left behind, redecorating the house, health insurance, bank accounts, yada yada and some of the glow fades. Do you put your heads together and say "we did this, now let's DO IT!" or do you say "Wait this is not like the 6 days in Kiev at all!" and run away? When she cries in the middle of the night because she is homesick, what do you do? When she is frustrated by not being able to get places or do things as quickly as others because as much as she thought she knew the language, this is actually harder than she thought. When she is the last one to finish the exams and not the first and she always was...what do you do? When the children and she all need you at once, when the papers oile up and they all need to be done by tomorrow...what do you do? Do you say, "this is my family, I will work for them 23 hours a day" or do you say "#######! I did not sign up for THIS" ???

Therein lies the difference.

One man will be considered GOLD, the other is just the same sort of trash available everywhere in Ukraine.

I will only say that my life with Alla and my family has been wonderful and difficult. Greatly challenging and greatly rewarding. Not easy, but SO worth it. And now I just smile at the people who think the visa process is difficult. Seriously, it barely rises to the level of a nuisance. A trivial "thing".

Of all the 1 million things, tiny things, that could have prevented me from being at that place at that time to literally be in line for bus tickets behind Alla in Prague CZ...can you imagine the odds of that? And then I said, "Let me take your bags...follow me" when it was clear she was not understandinmg the clerk and I understood, "hey, this hottie is staying at the same hotel I am" And our lives and that of our children's were changed forever. The quantum physics of it alone scares the bejeezus out of me! The movie "The Butterfly effect" comes to mind often. That moment meant Sergey got a paid tuition to Rice University for a Doctoral Degree, Alla got a Masters from St Micheals in Vermont, Pasha is attending classes at UVM while still in high school! Alla and Pasha are citizens now and Alla will vote in November in a US election.

Pasha has a Burton snowboard in his room because I took Alla's bag and said "follow me".

Well said!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Amen! +100

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.