Sofiyya

Do you spoil him?

296 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
She did describe what she meant in a previous post:

"First of all, my ex husband is not white.

Secondly "ghetto" is a slang term used a lot. If you take offense to it that's your business.. I don't and I use it and hear it used a lot.

I also don't think a person's race has anything to do with whether they live in a particular neighborhood or not. The place I was referring to in my post was a trailor park... my husband was the only "person of color" in the whole park. I am the only "white" person on the street I live in now. It doesn't make a difference to us. The first key to getting past racism is seeing past the races. "

And this is offensive because . . .

Because "it is a slang term used a lot" shows that she is using the term in a derogatory way, because that is what the use of the word in slang is. She isn't writing a research paper.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

It just occured to me that perhaps what is racist thinking is perpetuating the idea that ghetto refers to concentrations of disadvantaged minorities. It is the racists, after all, that associated that word with that connotation. Perhaps it is less racist to disengage from that meaning.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The point is not the derivation of the word or the original use of the word, but it's current use in the US. Furthermore, ethnic groups are not only defined by the color of one's skin. Jews are an ethnic group.

Actually Jews are a religious group. There are Arab Jews, European Jews, etc...

and let's not forget prune jews, pineapple jews, and so on :thumbs:

Charles, you never fail to make me laugh out loud. Thanks for bringing some humor to this forum where major PMS seems to be the rule.

:blush: ty

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

That's an excellent idea. Once there are no longer ghettos in this country, perhaps we can throw the word out altogether. But until then, it's use as slang for things undesirable is elitist and arrogant.

It just occured to me that perhaps what is racist thinking is perpetuating the idea that ghetto refers to concentrations of disadvantaged minorities. It is the racists, after all, that associated that word with that connotation. Perhaps it is less racist to disengage from that meaning.

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

Given what a ghetto has been and is, using the word to describe the things a person thinks they are above is elitist, and can easily go hand in hand with racism/prejucide and stereotyping.

Edited by Bosco

Timeline

That's an excellent idea. Once there are no longer ghettos in this country, perhaps we can throw the word out altogether. But until then, it's use as slang for things undesirable is elitist and arrogant.

Well, peezy, that's the way you see it, just as you were explaining to me what "we" were talking about, as if I wasn't part of the discussion. But that doesn't make your view the mutually exclusive one, nor does it make your right.

Well, peezy, that's the way you see it, just as you were explaining to me what "we" were talking about, as if I wasn't part of the discussion. But that doesn't make your view the mutually exclusive one, nor does it make your right.

Really, szsz? I am actually shocked right now to read that you do not find the use of the word in this way as terribly racist. You are an excellent teacher of Islam, and particularly eloquent and sensible when you talk about relationships. I am having a really hard time understanding why it is that someone with your level of education and deep respect for fairness and justice would see things the way you do.

Timeline

I've made it clear that, for me, there is way too much pc thinking here, and that makes it oh so easy for someone to be offended, as pc thinking is beased on emotion rather than logic, which makes just about anything offensive. I don't buy into pc thinking, so I'm not so easily offended, nor do I see a boogeyman around every corner.

Ghetto is a subjective term, some are offended by it, some are not. I happen not to be offended by it. I don't see the big deal. I can also separate the use of the term with the fact that there are poor people in the world. Arguing about the use of the word doesnt make them less poor.

Filed: Timeline
Based on your racist remarks here, the whole point of this conversation is clearly lost on you. It is not used as a slang to describe "just about everything", and EVERYONE doesn't use it. I'm pretty sure you choose the words that come out of your mouth, as evidenced by your disgusting display of ignorance. "Everything" isn't anything, anywhere, and I'm sure there are plenty of people from the south, living in the south who would not describe their geographical location in the way you have.

I'm sorry who are you? You've been here for a hot minute and want to come here telling me of my "ignorance"? Take a leap buddy. :huh:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Based on your racist remarks here, the whole point of this conversation is clearly lost on you. It is not used as a slang to describe "just about everything", and EVERYONE doesn't use it. I'm pretty sure you choose the words that come out of your mouth, as evidenced by your disgusting display of ignorance. "Everything" isn't anything, anywhere, and I'm sure there are plenty of people from the south, living in the south who would not describe their geographical location in the way you have.

I'm sorry who are you? You've been here for a hot minute and want to come here telling me of my "ignorance"? Take a leap buddy. :huh:

uh oh, someone feels challenged!

I've made it clear that, for me, there is way too much pc thinking here, and that makes it oh so easy for someone to be offended, as pc thinking is beased on emotion rather than logic, which makes just about anything offensive. I don't buy into pc thinking, so I'm not so easily offended, nor do I see a boogeyman around every corner.

Ghetto is a subjective term, some are offended by it, some are not. I happen not to be offended by it. I don't see the big deal. I can also separate the use of the term with the fact that there are poor people in the world. Arguing about the use of the word doesnt make them less poor.

I still stand by the logic that words are powerful and until we can become sensitive to the use of words we will never learn to communicate effectively. Conflict resolution (be it a disute betwen friends or a international dispute) begins with listening and effective language. I don't call that PC

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Does it matter who I am? Make something up, it's irrelevant to the discussion. You asked me the same question the last time I challenged you. Get over it and move back to the topic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Because "it is a slang term used a lot" shows that she is using the term in a derogatory way, because that is what the use of the word in slang is. She isn't writing a research paper.

There is nothing derogatory about "ghetto fabulous" :no:

especially when it's written across the "junk in the trunk" :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.