Sofiyya

Do you spoil him?

296 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm always spoiling him. Hehe. I was doing it before we met, when I was in India with him, and now that I am back home. And I will continue to do so once he and I are together again. :thumbs:

Edited by Mandi

Our Timeline:

05.18.2006-I-129F Petition sent to NSC

05.19.2006-I-129F Petition rec'd by NSC

06.02.2006-Rec'd NOA1

06.30.2006-Rec'd RFE

07.03.2006-Sent RFE to CSC

07.11.2006-RFE rec'd by CSC - Reply

09.11.2006-*APPROVED*

09.18.2006-Rec'd NOA2

09.29.2006-Sent I-129F pkg

10.04.2006-Rec'd I-129F pkg

10.06.2006-Embassy sent packet3

10.13.2006-Form DS-230 to New Delhi Embassy

10.26.2006-Rec'd initial packet3

11.08.2006-Rec'd police certificate

11.08.2006-Interview date thru email: DECEMBER 12, 2006 @ 8 AM

11.14.2006-Rec'd interview letter snail mail

11.18.2006-Medicals

11.22.2006-Rec'd medicals

12.01.2006-Packet4 to New Delhi Embassy

12.12.2006-Interview - Still need passport clearance & co-sponsor

12.20.2006-Sent co-sponsor info

01.03.2007-Rec'd papers & passport clearance

01.04.2007-Sent papers & passport to New Delhi Embassy - Rec'd

01.16.2007-Passport sent out

01.18.2007-Passport rec'd. No visa. Need more proof of relationship

01.24.2007-Sent more proof of relationship

02.03.2007-Rec'd proof

02.06.2007-Sent to New Delhi Embassy

03.07.2007-Rec'd passport. No visa

04.18.2007-CSC rec'd papers

I'm not talking about merely being sweet to him. My husband is always telling me about foreign women who send their SOs thousands of dollars and all kinds of pricey presents; PCs, Ipods, tvs, you name it. Is this common? Is it a good thing? Just curious. I don't do this and I think my husband is a little jealous of those who are being lavished with material goods. :rolleyes:

I think the tariffs on electronics are pretty high; I imagine the guys are also coughing up a decent amount of money to have these things released within Morocco.

Filed: Timeline
I think the tariffs on electronics are pretty high; I imagine the guys are also coughing up a decent amount of money to have these things released within Morocco.

If they get them at all.... I tried to send Yousuf a teddy bear when we first got engaged... it smelled like me :blush: and he NEVER got the package... I was like :o come on! a teddy bear???? :wacko:

This discussion reminds me of one of my all time favorite books- Peter Menzel's Material World

From the forward (explaining the goal of the book)

In honor of the United Nations-sponsored International Year of the Family in 1994, award-winning photojournalist Peter Menzel brought together 16 of the world's leading photographers to create a visual portrait of life in 30 nations. Material World tackles its wide subject by zooming in, allowing one household to represent an entire nation. Photographers spent one week living with a "statistically average" family in each country, learning about their work, their attitudes toward their possessions, and their hopes for the future. Then a "big picture" shot of the family was taken outside the dwelling, surrounded by all their (many or few) material goods.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
This discussion reminds me of one of my all time favorite books- Peter Menzel's Material World

In honor of the United Nations-sponsored International Year of the Family in 1994, award-winning photojournalist Peter Menzel brought together 16 of the world's leading photographers to create a visual portrait of life in 30 nations. Material World tackles its wide subject by zooming in, allowing one household to represent an entire nation. Photographers spent one week living with a "statistically average" family in each country, learning about their work, their attitudes toward their possessions, and their hopes for the future. Then a "big picture" shot of the family was taken outside the dwelling, surrounded by all their (many or few) material goods.

I had to look this up after reading your post. His photos are fascinating ! They really make you think.

For others (like me) who had no idea what this was about, here is a website I found that has several pages of his works:

http://www.menzelphoto.com/recent/geomw2001p1.htm

Thanks for sharing this !

:thumbs:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

As far as who spoils who in my relationship, well if my husband had more money he would be the one spoiling me.

What I find funny is the plans my husband has when he gets here. First off he hates my shoes, says they are ugly. :angry: He intends on selecting my shoes from now on...we shall see about that.

But what really makes me laugh is that he wants to buy me a mercedes. He says I am the best and I deserve the best...lol The funny thing is that I am not into designer anything, or fancy cars. My personal opinion is that people that HAVE to have all of these things have some sort of insecurity in their lives that they feel the need to overcompensate for. Now I am not saying this for a person that likes an occasional nice item, but feels the need to have the best of everything, and show it off.

Funny thing, the thing that would bring me the most joy is a visa so my husband could be here.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm usually a lurker, but I'm feeling bold today and decided to add my two cents worth... Yes, I guess I do spoil my fiance. But we spoil each other. I bought him an inexpensive laptop this month so we could communicate more effectively and cut down on the outrageous phones bills on my end. (Calling from Italy to a Ghanaian cell phone is not only expensive but highly unreliable!!)

If you look at it in dollars, of course I spend more on him. But when you look at it in terms of the percentage of our incomes, then we probably spend about the same on each other. (If that makes any sense!) When it comes down to it, there's really no price when it comes to true love :)

Edited by Sankofa

K-1

October 10, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to TSC via Express Mail guaranteed 3 day delivery (NOT!!)

October 23, 2006 - NOA1

October 27, 2006 - Check cashed - called bank to obtain case# from back of check

October 31, 2006 - Received NOA1 via snail mail

January 17, 2007 - NOA2

January 24, 2007 - NVC received petition

January 25, 2007 - Petition forwarded to Ghana

March 11, 2007 - Fiance receives letter from Embassy dated February 12 informing him to come pick up Packet 3!!! (case never lost!!!)

March 27, 2007 - Packet 3 received from Embassy

March 28, 2007 - Packet 3 returned, Packet 4 received with interview date

July 12, 2007 - Interview Date

August 10, 2007 - Picked up Visa from American Embassy in Accra

August 11, 2007 - Engagement Ceremony in Accra, Ghana

August 21, 2007 - MY BABY CAME HOME!!! POE - JFK

AOS

August 27, 2007 - Civil Marriage Ceremony

September 21, 2007 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox

September 28, 2007 - Check cashed

October 1, 2007 - Received NOA's (1-485, I-131, I-765) in mail dated September 27, 2007

October 21, 2007 - Wedding Day!!

October 22, 2007 - Original date for Biometrics appt (missed appt because of honeymoon)

November 7, 2007 - Walked in to USCIS Jacksonville and had biometrics taken with no problems

November 13, 2007 - AP Received

November 19, 2007 - EAD Received

November 29, 2007 - Case transferred to CSC

January 22, 2007 - RECEIVED GREEN CARD IN MAIL DATED JANUARY 14, 2008!!!!

My personal opinion is that people that HAVE to have all of these things have some sort of insecurity in their lives that they feel the need to overcompensate for. Now I am not saying this for a person that likes an occasional nice item, but feels the need to have the best of everything, and show it off.

I have always thought the same exact thing... my ex was big into material things - mostly cars... we lived in the freaking ghetto so he could drive a trans am :rolleyes:

Funny thing, the thing that would bring me the most joy is a visa so my husband could be here.

Same here :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
I'm usually a lurker, but I'm feeling bold today and decided to add my two cents worth... Yes, I guess I do spoil my fiance. But we spoil each other. I bought him an inexpensive laptop this month so we could communicate more effectively and cut down on the outrageous phones bills on my end. (Calling from Italy to a Ghanaian cell phone is not only expensive but highly unreliable!!)

If you look at it in dollars, of course I spend more on him. But when you look at it in terms of the percentage of our incomes, then we probably spend about the same on each other. (If that makes any sense!) When it comes down to it, there's really no price when it comes to true love :)

The laptop is a great idea - I really want to do that for my fiancee - sad thing is with the money we've already spent on the phone we could have already bought one, possibly two, laptops haha.

I completely understand what you are saying about the income - my fiancee does what he can and that has always been enough for me :-)

03/09/07 - POE at JFK - Temp EAD given

03/13/07 - Married

AOS

04/20/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

04/26/07 - NOA1 for AOS and AP

05/08/07 - AP touched

05/22/07 - Biometrics

05/23/07 - RFE email notification for 485

05/29/07 - RFE received by mail - Request for medical exam

06/01/07 - Contacted congressman regarding RFE

06/08/07 - Case resumed processing

10/01/07 - Email Notice of Transfer to CSC

10/04/07 - Pending at CSC

11/09/07 - Green Card Approved

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

With all the money she sends him, he can afford it.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

No particular person, just a type that has come up in conversations with my husband and some of his friends. It seems that there are foreign women who shower their Arab men with thousands of dollars and tons of gifts. On the "Doubts" thread, I related the story of a family member whose gf sends him buku bucks and expensive gifts that he uses to entertain other women. She's not the only one who feels a need to do this, and the ones I've heard of are mostly European. I'm just wondering about this practice and how common it is.

Edited by szsz

I have always thought the same exact thing... my ex was big into material things - mostly cars... we lived in the freaking ghetto so he could drive a trans am :rolleyes:

From Wiki

Some people in the U.S. and Europe strongly dislike the term ghetto, believing to have racist, elitist and culturally insensitive overtones, and the mention of such a word to describe a working-class ethnic community is considered a generalization or an insult. Many social workers and community leaders suggest alternative words to describe these areas like Inner city and economically disadvantaged areas

Count me in as one of those people. It always shocks me when advantaged white people use this word to describe their conditions. Look at the definition: "A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure". Does it really fit?

A white person, even a poor white person, who finds themselves in a situation living in a neighborhood they find undesirable, has power to get out, especially when the only thing holding them there is a sports car.

I had to look this up after reading your post. His photos are fascinating ! They really make you think.

For others (like me) who had no idea what this was about, here is a website I found that has several pages of his works:

http://www.menzelphoto.com/recent/geomw2001p1.htm

Thanks for sharing this !

Thanks for going the extra step and finding this link!

:thumbs:

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Count me in as one of those people. It always shocks me when advantaged white people use this word to describe their conditions. Look at the definition: "A section of a city occupied by a minority group who live there especially because of social, economic, or legal pressure". Does it really fit?

A white person, even a poor white person, who finds themselves in a situation living in a neighborhood they find undesirable, has power to get out, especially when the only thing holding them there is a sports car.

First of all, my ex husband is not white.

Secondly "ghetto" is a slang term used a lot. If you take offense to it that's your business.. I don't and I use it and hear it used a lot.

I also don't think a person's race has anything to do with whether they live in a particular neighborhood or not. The place I was referring to in my post was a trailor park... my husband was the only "person of color" in the whole park. I am the only "white" person on the street I live in now. It doesn't make a difference to us. The first key to getting past racism is seeing past the races ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.