doudou75012

I-485 RFE J-1 requirements...Help !!!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I received a RFE but I don't understand what do they want and how to prove...

I previously entered the US as a J-1 non-immigrant exchange visitor (2008), "Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act requires that persons who enter the US as a J-1 must return to their sponsoring country for a period of two years after their period of admission has expired so they can share the knowledge they acquired. As such, the applicant must comply with one of the following:

1) Submit evidence to establish that the applicant has fulfilled the requirements and conditions of his J-1 admission, as stated above, or

2) Submit evidence to establish that the applicant has been granted a waiver of section 212(e) two-year foreign residency requirement, or

3) Submit evidence to establish that the applicant is not subject to section 212(e) of the Act"

I read a lot of topics with the same RFE but they don't really say what they sent back, I saw they talked about the DS-2019 form but I don't have it anymore :unsure:

Can someone help me please, thank you :)

You need to prove to them that you were not eligible for the 2-year HRR, or have a waiver for it. What information do you have that proves it?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

uh oh!!! I don't even know if I was, how do I know that? I read a little bit about the HRR...I think I was not but if it is the case what proves other than the ds2019 can I send?

Try calling the agency and see what is in their records, or maybe you can get a reissued DS certificate? What does your actual visa say? I would just look everywhere and contact everyone that had anything to do with issuing the visa to get some proof.

If you were required to do the 2-year HRR, then your AOS will be denied. You can try to obtain a waiver of the requirement, but that has to be done before AOS is filed. So, if it is denied, I would stay here, try to get the waiver, then resubmit. This is something that needs to be taken care of before AOS is submitted. Good luck.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

The university told me they only have the Certificate for Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (J1)...Well I remember I was with a guy from Suriname, he was require to do the 2year HRR but not me, at the time I didn't know what it mean so I were not eligible for it but it doesn't say it on my J1 visa

I believe you are looking for something that says "NOT SUBJECT" to the 2-year HRR.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It has been printed right on the visa for a while, but I am not sure when that because standard. Check your actual visa in the passport to see if it is printed on there.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

I received a RFE but I don't understand what do they want and how to prove...

I previously entered the US as a J-1 non-immigrant exchange visitor (2008), "Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act requires that persons who enter the US as a J-1 must return to their sponsoring country for a period of two years after their period of admission has expired so they can share the knowledge they acquired. As such, the applicant must comply with one of the following:

1) Submit evidence to establish that the applicant has fulfilled the requirements and conditions of his J-1 admission, as stated above, or

2) Submit evidence to establish that the applicant has been granted a waiver of section 212(e) two-year foreign residency requirement, or

3) Submit evidence to establish that the applicant is not subject to section 212(e) of the Act"

I read a lot of topics with the same RFE but they don't really say what they sent back, I saw they talked about the DS-2019 form but I don't have it anymore :unsure:

Can someone help me please, thank you :)

What I would send in for these (and maybe I'm wrong, I never had J1 visa):

1. I would show the DS form or whatever it is called (the equivalency of I-20) that shows how long I was invited to work at X institute under my J1 visa

2. I would show them that I have obtained a waiver from my embassy

3. basically, if you are not subject to it at the first place, your passport where your visa is would state "bearer is NOT subject to two year home residency requirement" if you have gotten a waiver, that I would include along, so even though originally you were subject to it, you've obtained a waiver and hence no longer subject to it.

I hope I did not say something completely bs

good luck!

Timeline

It has been printed right on the visa for a while, but I am not sure when that because standard. Check your actual visa in the passport to see if it is printed on there.

No it's not on there :(

Timeline

What I would send in for these (and maybe I'm wrong, I never had J1 visa):

1. I would show the DS form or whatever it is called (the equivalency of I-20) that shows how long I was invited to work at X institute under my J1 visa

2. I would show them that I have obtained a waiver from my embassy

3. basically, if you are not subject to it at the first place, your passport where your visa is would state "bearer is NOT subject to two year home residency requirement" if you have gotten a waiver, that I would include along, so even though originally you were subject to it, you've obtained a waiver and hence no longer subject to it.

I hope I did not say something completely bs

good luck!

thank you your post really helped me...but unfortunately my visa doesn't state that I was not subject to the 2yr hrr...After I left in may 2008 when my visa expired I came back in december 2009 on vacation to see my fiance and they told me nothing at the immigration, just a stamp in my passport with the date. Because I don't really know what is a waiver :/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

If you're not subject to HRR J-1 requirements, the annotation on your visa should say

'BEARER IS NOT SUBJECT TO 212(E)

TWO YEAR RULE DOES NOT APPLY'

That's exactly what is written on mine. Send a copy of your visa back to USCIS and that should do it!

OUR K-1 JOURNEY

I-129F Sent - 2012/04/04

I-129F NOA1 - 2012/04/06

I-129F NOA2 - 2012/07/20

NVC Received - 2012/07/27

NVC Left - 2012/07/30

Consulate Received - 2012/08/02

Packet 3 Emailed - 2012/08/03

Visa Received - 2012/09/03

US Entry (Newark, NJ) - 2012/09/27

MARRIED - 2012/09/28

AOS Filed - 2012/10/04

NOA Date - 2012/10/15

Bio. Appt. - 2012/10/22 (early walk-in, scheduled appointment: 11/06)

EAD approved - 2012/12/04

EAD/AP combo card received - 2012/12/12

GREEN CARD received! - 2013/06/29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Wait a sec, your visa is from 2008, so it seems that all you have to do is to prove that you 'returned to their sponsoring country for a period of two years after their period of admission has expired' as stated in your RFE.

So you only need to prove you got back to France and spent there at least two years (2008-2010). Also, I don't know the purpose of your J-1 visa, but if you can prove that you applied what you learned in the US back in your home country, that might help as well!

thank you your post really helped me...but unfortunately my visa doesn't state that I was not subject to the 2yr hrr...After I left in may 2008 when my visa expired I came back in december 2009 on vacation to see my fiance and they told me nothing at the immigration, just a stamp in my passport with the date. Because I don't really know what is a waiver :/

OUR K-1 JOURNEY

I-129F Sent - 2012/04/04

I-129F NOA1 - 2012/04/06

I-129F NOA2 - 2012/07/20

NVC Received - 2012/07/27

NVC Left - 2012/07/30

Consulate Received - 2012/08/02

Packet 3 Emailed - 2012/08/03

Visa Received - 2012/09/03

US Entry (Newark, NJ) - 2012/09/27

MARRIED - 2012/09/28

AOS Filed - 2012/10/04

NOA Date - 2012/10/15

Bio. Appt. - 2012/10/22 (early walk-in, scheduled appointment: 11/06)

EAD approved - 2012/12/04

EAD/AP combo card received - 2012/12/12

GREEN CARD received! - 2013/06/29

Timeline

Wait a sec, your visa is from 2008, so it seems that all you have to do is to prove that you 'returned to their sponsoring country for a period of two years after their period of admission has expired' as stated in your RFE.

So you only need to prove you got back to France and spent there at least two years (2008-2010). Also, I don't know the purpose of your J-1 visa, but if you can prove that you applied what you learned in the US back in your home country, that might help as well!

Oh yes, I was an English teacher in France in high school (pretty hard) I started in sept 2008 until july 2011, I can prove it with my pay subs and my major at the US university was English literature...But still I don't understand this 2 yr hrr. I truly hope I was not eligible

Oh, I thought you have been back in the US since 2009. So you worked in France from 2008-2011? Then all you need to show is that you were in France for 2 years. It won't matter if you were eligible or not, because if you were eligible, you fulfilled the requirement.

So it is true you worked in France for 2 years?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.