morocco4ever

Is your SO practicing his religious beliefs?

Is your SO active in his religion?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is your SO active in his relgion?

• Yes
    • No
    • Spritiual, but not religious
    • Does not believe in God
  2. 2. When you met were you of the same belief/religion?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If not, did you later convert?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't apply to us

54 posts in this topic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

My point is this is a secular nation. Our laws are applied equally without regard to a person's station, race, color, or beliefs. When one starts saying a law is based on a religious belief, we need to examine that law because if it is, indeed, based on religion, then that religion is being favored. That isn't something a modern civilized democracy does.

Around Christmas time, the nation becomes far less "secular". That Christmas has been made a federal holiday has been challenged unsuccessfully in courts, and symbols of it are displayed on public property, sometimes with a nod to Chanukah. If you have been raised to see Christianity as part of your social network, and most Americans are raised that way, then you will not be so sensitive to how often the Judeo-Christian perspective is the basis of social law.

I feel very strongly about this because this allows you to practice your religion as you see fit. And it allows me to believe what I want without fear of oppression or discrimination. As long as our beliefs do not infringe on the freedom of others in this country, we're allowed to believe and practice whatever we want.

How many Muslims are given the opportunity and space to pray during business hours? The freedoms of some are often sacrificed for the efficiencies of the work place.

Edited by szsz

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Samir practices his religion and its not a problem at all. I think it is wonderful to have such a wonderful husband who is devoted to God. I am truely blessed.

Hi Charles!

hiya sarah. where you been? (F)

I've been here... I did just recently start a real job so maybe I've been here less, but not really. I guess that shows how much I've been working!

How are you and Nessa?

Thank God! You got a job! Awesome :yes: Now if you could just get over your VJ addiction................... ;)

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Samir practices his religion and its not a problem at all. I think it is wonderful to have such a wonderful husband who is devoted to God. I am truely blessed.

Hi Charles!

hiya sarah. where you been? (F)

I've been here... I did just recently start a real job so maybe I've been here less, but not really. I guess that shows how much I've been working!

How are you and Nessa?

Thank God! You got a job! Awesome :yes: Now if you could just get over your VJ addiction................... ;)

Aww thanks Shannon! Yep I got a great job with great pay and benefits for myself and my husband. It's so nice to have financial stability right out of college. VJ is when Hicham and I are working, or he is working and I'm at home... I have lots of friends here!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

hassan practices what he can. he dont go to mosque like he should and he doesnt pray. here in the united states is not as easy as it would be in syria to practice. example....not a mosque in every block....the world dont stop when the call to prayer sounds. so its just not so easy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
My point is this is a secular nation. Our laws are applied equally without regard to a person's station, race, color, or beliefs. When one starts saying a law is based on a religious belief, we need to examine that law because if it is, indeed, based on religion, then that religion is being favored. That isn't something a modern civilized democracy does.

Around Christmas time, the nation becomes far less "secular". That Christmas has been made a federal holiday has been challenged unsuccessfully in courts, and symbols of it are displayed on public property, sometimes with a nod to Chanukah. If you have been raised to see Christianity as part of your social network, and most Americans are raised that way, then you will not be so sensitive to how often the Judeo-Christian perspective is the basis of social law.

In case you haven't noticed, the main thing being worshipped during Christmas is the Almighty Dollar.

I feel very strongly about this because this allows you to practice your religion as you see fit. And it allows me to believe what I want without fear of oppression or discrimination. As long as our beliefs do not infringe on the freedom of others in this country, we're allowed to believe and practice whatever we want.

How many Muslims are given the opportunity and space to pray during business hours? The freedoms of some are often sacrificed for the efficiencies of the work place.

I'd say about as many as smokers given the space and opportunity to smoke outside during business hours.

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We are both Muslim, so yes he does. I havent practiced since my mother died. I'm willing to get "back into it". But I will probably only wear the hijab to the mosque.

And he said that he doesnt care if I have a Christmas tree. I dont really care about it either. Some years if I have the money, I celebrate since I wasnt big on it growing up. It doesnt have to be every year. We do it for fun. Hes very understanding about the cultural differnces. There hasnt been any definite "No, you cant do that." or 'We will live by my rules." I guess you can say we are conversing on how to adapt to certain changes before he gets here. It makes it all the more simple because we do have the same religious background. The combination of life styles will be amazing. I am truly looking forward to it!!!!!!

Pray with me Forrest! Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here..... Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far. Far, far away from here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Yes, Yes, and Doesn't apply to us. We're both Christians. :)

Our Timeline:

05.18.2006-I-129F Petition sent to NSC

05.19.2006-I-129F Petition rec'd by NSC

06.02.2006-Rec'd NOA1

06.30.2006-Rec'd RFE

07.03.2006-Sent RFE to CSC

07.11.2006-RFE rec'd by CSC - Reply

09.11.2006-*APPROVED*

09.18.2006-Rec'd NOA2

09.29.2006-Sent I-129F pkg

10.04.2006-Rec'd I-129F pkg

10.06.2006-Embassy sent packet3

10.13.2006-Form DS-230 to New Delhi Embassy

10.26.2006-Rec'd initial packet3

11.08.2006-Rec'd police certificate

11.08.2006-Interview date thru email: DECEMBER 12, 2006 @ 8 AM

11.14.2006-Rec'd interview letter snail mail

11.18.2006-Medicals

11.22.2006-Rec'd medicals

12.01.2006-Packet4 to New Delhi Embassy

12.12.2006-Interview - Still need passport clearance & co-sponsor

12.20.2006-Sent co-sponsor info

01.03.2007-Rec'd papers & passport clearance

01.04.2007-Sent papers & passport to New Delhi Embassy - Rec'd

01.16.2007-Passport sent out

01.18.2007-Passport rec'd. No visa. Need more proof of relationship

01.24.2007-Sent more proof of relationship

02.03.2007-Rec'd proof

02.06.2007-Sent to New Delhi Embassy

03.07.2007-Rec'd passport. No visa

04.18.2007-CSC rec'd papers

Filed: Timeline

Abdel's family observed both Ramadan and Christmas, at least the basic rituals of them, not really the religious parts. I tend to be so busy with finals around Christmas, and we do so much of the celebrating at family's house, that I don't always put up a tree or decorate. This year I'm taking the last two weeks of the year off to paint my son's room and do some work in his bathroom and get caught up on general cleaning between semesters. I would just not observe Christmas at all, but my family refuses to let me out of it. Last year we went away for our honeymoon and my family had Christmas before we left so we couldn't get out of it, then, since we couldn't afford to stay gone long enough to not be here for it, they did the immediate family Christmas on Christmas day and insisted we come, even if just for dinner. Well I knew they had presents for us so I wasn't showing up without presents for them.

Neither one of us is religious, but we both see the spiritual world about the same and share the same viewpoints about most things in life. We're both also open to the other's viewpoints and often learn from each other.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.