8xeno8

first things to get done after poe

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

First things first for me will be apply for SSN... then i already have a deposit on my car and im going to pick it up on the morning after poe.

but then things just get blurry for me... what important things do i need to do within lets say the first 3 days of arrival into the US ?

Obviously im going to get married but thats happening 12 days after my arrival.

Im excited to hear some stories or just some advice, would be very helpful to help me remember some important things! Thank youuu!!!

I-129f sent 01/31/12

Received in Dallas sent to Vermont 02/03/12

NOA1 notice date 02/03/12

Touched 02/11/12

NOA 2 07/25/12

NVC Receive 08/01/12

NVC left 08/03/12

Consulate received 08/06/12

Medical 08/08/12

sent packet 3 docs 08/10/12 (yes i have sent before packet 3 letter received, called embassy who confirmed they have me in system as of today)

Interview scheduled 09/13/12

APPROVED!

POE 09/26/12

Wedding booked for 10/08/12

Nothing really. You should wait around 10 days to get the SSN so your POE details has time to get into their system. You could open some joint bank accounts or try to start establishing your credit by getting a credit card (once you get the SSN). The real stuff happens after marriage (file AOS) and thereafter (get EAD, look for job etc). I can't think of anything that is so time sensitive that you need to do it within the first 3 days after POE. To be honest, you won't be able to do a lot of things until you have your Greencard. You are getting a car? How are you going to be insured or get your license?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Yep, I went to the SSA office on the very first Monday and was advised to wait two weeks to let my wife's info get into the system.

As far as the bank account, HSBC wanted a picture ID with the address on it. So we have to wait to go to DMV and get her ID. Ask your bank, they may want the same. And depending on your state and bank, your SO may not be able to get a state ID without the SS#

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

There's no much you can do, besides getting marry. You can buy a car, but remember that a foreign license has a time in which cant be used anymore. Besides that, you can start adjusting to you new life, spending quality with your future wife, unpacked your stuff, and going around your new neighborhood. The first month, is the most exciting cause everything is new and its all about adjusting. I spent that whole month enjoying with my husband and planning our wedding. Take a time and rest from the whole paperwork, trust me, once you start filing for AoS you will be very busy :) . You can also start with the SSN but you need to wait at least, 2 or 3 weeks AFTER your arrival, also open some joints accounts after getting married. Basically that's all you can do the first weeks in terms of paperwork. But according to my experience, the best thing you can do is relax and enjoy the time. Starting with feeling comfy in your new house, unpack, go out and meet your fiance's friends, go to the malls, learn new address of supermarkets, pharmacy, bakery store, gyms, hospital etc etc, so when the times comes and you can get your green card, you can feel totally comfy with your new life. Im also doing some english studies for free in a high school near my home.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would suggest getting sleep, getting familiar with your area, observing, figuring out where to find things (favorite foods, stores, etc).

Oh, and you could get a journal or notebook or something - write down your thoughts. Take pictures/videos, if you can. My SO did some of that when he first got here, and it's really nice to look over it now!

The best part, though, is enjoying the company of the person you love, knowing that you're finally together for good!

Enjoy!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Also buy the book "Culture Shock - USA" at Amazon.com for under $10 to get an idea of the culture in the US. It has been very informative for my fiancee.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I'd suggest catching up with your fiance, unpacking and simply getting settled because you can't do that much without your ssn. After that, you can check to see if any bank will let you open a bank account. If your state/county clerk's office doesn't require ssn, you can apply for a marriage license as long as it's still valid on the day of marriage. This applies especially to those who have a waiting period from applying until getting married. See when you can be added to your future spouse's health insurance(if there is any).

I spent the first few days/weeks buying whichever I needed that I didn't bring, had sent or already purchased online before arriving. And cleaning. After a week, I applied for ssn, then state-ID. Then scanned all documents(the stamp in passport, i94 etc) for there sole purpose of not having to copy or scan 100 documents at the same time when preparing for AOS, and to have backup of it if anything went missing.

Congrats on approval, and upcoming wedding!

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Nothing really. You should wait around 10 days to get the SSN so your POE details has time to get into their system. You could open some joint bank accounts or try to start establishing your credit by getting a credit card (once you get the SSN). The real stuff happens after marriage (file AOS) and thereafter (get EAD, look for job etc). I can't think of anything that is so time sensitive that you need to do it within the first 3 days after POE. To be honest, you won't be able to do a lot of things until you have your Greencard. You are getting a car? How are you going to be insured or get your license?

We arrived POE on 9/2/12. Went SSA office on 9/4/12 and applied no problem, got her SSN card on 9/10/12. Went to the bank on 9/8/12 with her Passport and opened joint savings and checking accounts and got her an ATM card. I have a mortgage on my home so I can't add her to title without a credit check, same for utilities and needless to say she has no credit yet. Will get her an Amex and Visa card next. We get married on 10/5/12 and then file our AOS the next week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.