mikelor

Online Business while waiting for work Authorization

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, i am about to enter the US and wondering what can i do effective at the house while waiting for the AOS and the work authorization for months. Does anyone know if working an online business can affect the AOS application? Can anyone advise if it is ok to do? Thanks a lot!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

One thing about online business is that your American spouse can be the legal online business owner and you can be the one that assist without pay.

If would be like if you own a store and your spouse gives you a hand for no pay.

You have to be extremely careful because you can't legally work.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

One thing about online business is that your American spouse can be the legal online business owner and you can be the one that assist without pay.

If would be like if you own a store and your spouse gives you a hand for no pay.

Don't you need a permit or license for online business? If it's already an established business under her name prior to coming to US is that still considered illegal since whatever future income will be towards her and she's technically can't have income with her visa? Just curious...

Edited by Tintin and Mike

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Timeline

That is what we think of doing but i am still wondering if they would scout detailed information as that because he has a job and having a business online means someone other than him is working on it, which would mean me..thinking about staying at home for months definitely bore me when he is working, plus it's a good thing i can help him have an income.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can work on it for him and just not be getting paid. Just like overseeing it when he isnt around. Othetwise you can just work on setting up the businesss getting the logistics out of the way cause that takes time to do it right, by the time everything is ironed out you should be able to register it under your name and not have to worry about any implications

Timeline

Starting a business can be a huge endeavor...even a little home business. What's worse, you may end up working sixty hours a week and still only just break even. Most businesses lose money for the first year or more.

Not knowing your financial situation, work experience, or education, it's hard to make recommendations. However, there may be better uses for your time. If you plan to enter the US job market, it might be wise to work on things that will give you better employment options once your GC is in hand. For instance, taking a class or two at the local community college or online, doing some volunteer work (which will help build references), etc.

My Michelle for instance is a nurse with eight years of experience. I'm hoping she'll spend the time waiting for her AOS getting acclimated to the US, my crazy dog, her crazy soon-to-be husband and our even crazier rural community, while studying for the exam that will get her licensed in Virginia to practice her profession. That will be far more beneficial to us than her being under-employed after she has her GC. She's like you though, determined to help out as soon as she can, in any way she can. Ultimately, the choice will be hers and I'll support it.

Edited by Jim-Michelle

Hello, i am about to enter the US and wondering what can i do effective at the house while waiting for the AOS and the work authorization for months. Does anyone know if working an online business can affect the AOS application? Can anyone advise if it is ok to do? Thanks a lot!

the answer to your question is: no you cannot work on an online business even if your husband is the owner and you are not paid for it (obviously your husband would make profit by having you helping him). The only thing you can do while waiting for your EAD is volunteering but it has to be a position that otherwise couldn't be filled by a paid worker and sth that brings no earnings either for you or the person who you volunteer for.

Of course you can still do that if you want, hoping that no one will find out but I wouldn't encourage that as it might get you into real troubles ones it comes out ;)

Edited by sabi

Our (K1) Journey

01-17-2012: I 129F sent

01-24-2012: NOA1 date! => Vermont Service Centre

08-02-2012: NOA2 (195 days!!!)

09-24-2012: interview - Approved!

09-26-2012: visaarrow-10x10.png issued

09-28-2012: visa received by a registeredarrow-10x10.png post

11-01-2012: POE Dublin

11-17-2012: wedding

AOS Journey

11-23-2012: AOS package sent

11-27-2912: package received and signed for at the Chicago office

11-29-2012: case numbers assigned

12-03-2012: Biometrics letter sent to the old addressarrow-10x10.png (never received)

12-10-2012: NOA1 hardcopy for I 765 and I 131

12-15-2012: NOA1 hardcopy for I 485

12-28-2012: biometrics (missed)

01-17-2013: newarrow-10x10.png biometric date

01-25-2013: EAD approval

01-30-2013: EAD production

01-31-2013: EAD mailed

02-02-2013: EAD received

My ROC Journey:

03-20-2015: I751 package sent

03-23-2015: NOA1

03-25-2015: check cashedarrow-10x10.png

07-31-2015: Biometrics ( Biometrics letter sent to the old address never received, missed it on 07/06 and had to have it rescheduled after many phone calls and service requests)

09-07-2015: Card in Production email.

09-09-2015: Card mailed

09-11-2015: Card delivered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

the answer to your question is: no you cannot work on an online business even if your husband is the owner and you are not paid for it (obviously your husband would make profit by having you helping him). The only thing you can do while waiting for your EAD is volunteering but it has to be a position that otherwise couldn't be filled by a paid worker and sth that brings no earnings either for you or the person who you volunteer for.

Of course you can still do that if you want, hoping that no one will find out but I wouldn't encourage that as it might get you into real troubles ones it comes out ;)

And THIS is the correct answer. good.gif

Filed: Timeline

Do you have perhaps a government type source to share?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Very true and technically correct.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Do you have perhaps a government type source to share?

Not as we speak, as I got that information from my fiance's friend who is familiar with the immigration law...

In the meantime I found a very helpful article:

http://jnusblog.takimedia.com/eng/?p=197

There is a fine line and it is very easy to break the law while volunteering and most of all, without a work authorization you cannot be providing services or labor for an employer for wages or other remuneration (including free meals, transportation, any type of academic credit, or any other type of benefit)- by running your husband's business you are already breaking that by receiving free accommodation, meals etc. Would be probably hard to prove that you are doing it voluntarily as the profits stay within the household...

Edited by sabi

Our (K1) Journey

01-17-2012: I 129F sent

01-24-2012: NOA1 date! => Vermont Service Centre

08-02-2012: NOA2 (195 days!!!)

09-24-2012: interview - Approved!

09-26-2012: visaarrow-10x10.png issued

09-28-2012: visa received by a registeredarrow-10x10.png post

11-01-2012: POE Dublin

11-17-2012: wedding

AOS Journey

11-23-2012: AOS package sent

11-27-2912: package received and signed for at the Chicago office

11-29-2012: case numbers assigned

12-03-2012: Biometrics letter sent to the old addressarrow-10x10.png (never received)

12-10-2012: NOA1 hardcopy for I 765 and I 131

12-15-2012: NOA1 hardcopy for I 485

12-28-2012: biometrics (missed)

01-17-2013: newarrow-10x10.png biometric date

01-25-2013: EAD approval

01-30-2013: EAD production

01-31-2013: EAD mailed

02-02-2013: EAD received

My ROC Journey:

03-20-2015: I751 package sent

03-23-2015: NOA1

03-25-2015: check cashedarrow-10x10.png

07-31-2015: Biometrics ( Biometrics letter sent to the old address never received, missed it on 07/06 and had to have it rescheduled after many phone calls and service requests)

09-07-2015: Card in Production email.

09-09-2015: Card mailed

09-11-2015: Card delivered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeline

Thank you all for great advise..

So i have to accept the fact that i'll be staying at the house for long haha..then i'll prepare good books, good movies and start to learn how to cook my lovey dovey's favorite food :):dance: ..hmm, a long holiday after years of working hard won't be that bad i guess :)

Timeline

Not as we speak, as I got that information from my fiance's friend who is familiar with the immigration law...

In the meantime I found a very helpful article:

http://jnusblog.takimedia.com/eng/?p=197

There is a fine line and it is very easy to break the law while volunteering and most of all, without a work authorization you cannot be providing services or labor for an employer for wages or other remuneration (including free meals, transportation, any type of academic credit, or any other type of benefit)- by running your husband's business you are already breaking that by receiving free accommodation, meals etc. Would be probably hard to prove that you are doing it voluntarily as the profits stay within the household...

Thanks a lot sabi, you're so helpful as always. goodluck for your incoming interview...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.