Oliverpb

Name change

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok, I have read the post earlier about changing his wifes name. I have looked online, asked the Immigration official during our interview and asked the advice of a lawyer and I am confused. As far as I can tell there are two ways to change her last name in the state of Nebraska and I am sure it is similar elsewhere.

1. Take a certified copy of your marriage license to the social security and DMV office. Easy peasy

2. Fill out a form to petition the court, get that approved and then go to DMV and SS office. The lady at the immigration interview said this was what we had to do but her name would still stay maiden as far as the immigration process is concerned until she gets her citizenship in 3 years.

Im not just confused about which route you are supposed to take, but now her I551 is maiden and I understand that, but will this get too confusing having a I551 in maiden name, and drivers license social security card, and as far as banks, and everyone else is concerned it is her married name? Should we just wait until the 3 years is up and change it then?

Just wondering what everyone else did?

Patrick and Yulia

Ok, I have read the post earlier about changing his wifes name. I have looked online, asked the Immigration official during our interview and asked the advice of a lawyer and I am confused. As far as I can tell there are two ways to change her last name in the state of Nebraska and I am sure it is similar elsewhere.

1. Take a certified copy of your marriage license to the social security and DMV office. Easy peasy

2. Fill out a form to petition the court, get that approved and then go to DMV and SS office. The lady at the immigration interview said this was what we had to do but her name would still stay maiden as far as the immigration process is concerned until she gets her citizenship in 3 years.

Im not just confused about which route you are supposed to take, but now her I551 is maiden and I understand that, but will this get too confusing having a I551 in maiden name, and drivers license social security card, and as far as banks, and everyone else is concerned it is her married name? Should we just wait until the 3 years is up and change it then?

Just wondering what everyone else did?

My wife kept her maiden name.

You can go to the SSA with the marriage certificate and her original SSC in her maiden name and change that. To change the name in the immigration process you just fill out the form in the name you want on the document. You could have put her married name for AOS and her GC would be in her married name. Your next chance to do a for free name change is at ROC and then at Naturalization. You could always pay the $460 for the I-90 and change the name on the GC now, but why?

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.