Empressre

What happens after they get to you????

49 posts in this topic

My boyfriend "lived" with me in the USA for 6 months on his tourist visa. Because he couldn't work he was basically a house husband, spent a couple hours a day working out, watched The Sopranos and called his family back home. But he's okay with that kind of slow lifestyle. I set him up with a volunteer job, but he hated it after the first day and decided to not go back.

When I moved to Costa Rica to be with him I was very restless before I got a job. So I convinced him to let me adopt a dog. That got me out of the house every day. I also took Italian classes, since I already know Spanish. And spent a TON of time looking for jobs and going on interviews.

Now that we're both working we are hardly ever bored! :thumbs:

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I did the best that I could for my hubby and there stillwas a short time when being home/not working was driving him insane. I started putting in work before he came tothe states by having him think of his new career path, which we would researchtogether, and I started helping to kill all misconceptions he had about livingin this country to prepare him. When hecame on his visa and we were waiting to get married, I took advantage of histime off so we could travel, do final planning for our wedding, etc. That was for about the first three months butwe had a great time getting used to living together, I would take him out andshow him nice restaurants to get him used to the food, took him on day trips tothe beach, rodeo and all kinds of stuff that I knew he had never experiencedbefore. Just seeing his face as he triedsomething new or saw something beautiful was well worth it. All the while, during the day, I kept himoccupied by having him research what type of school he wanted to go to, littlethings around the house and finalizing his career choice. After our marriage and honeymoon, he was readyto do the finishing touches and enroll in school. That took up the time when we were doingbiometrics, etc. We received his working permit but it was half way through histraining at that time. By then he hadhis driver’s license, car and took frequent trips to the library just to fillhis time and study before we would have an outing at night. Next came his graduation. The two months between him being certified forhis new profession and finding a job was when it all hit the fan. He got boredand aching to work. I say this to tell you that no matter what, if you have aman that really wants to work, even if you keep him occupied like I did, hewill find some downtime to worry about having a job so don’t feel bad about it. Just roll with it. It’s not you. The best you can do is get all of his paperwork submitted to shorten hiswait and have fun because busy schedules will get in the way of your timetogether soon enough.

K-1 Visa
I-129F NOA1: 2010-02-16 Approved 239 days from I-129F NOA1 date!
Interview Date: 2010-10-13

Visa Received: 2010-10-20
Marriage: 2010-12-12

nx03ix4cky8.png

AOS/EAD/AP
I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent: 2011-01-10
Bio. Appt: 2011-02-16
EAD/AP Approval Date:
2011-03-11 Approved in 60 days!
Interview Date: 2011-06-10
Approval Date:
2011-06-20 AOS was Approved in 5 months, 6 days!
ROC
Mailed I-751: 3/20/2013

Approved: 8/5/2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is a great topic . . . I have been talking to my man and stressing this fact . . that I work and he will be at home waiting for me-Just like I do when I am in JA - waiting for him to come home. Our plan is to put him in school, for him to take a english as second language class (even if I have to pay out of pocket). That way he will have something to fill his days and nites (beside me of course, :lol:) with homework. He wants to succeed and we have plans/goals together and therefore, he will jump into this with both feet and an elbow. The thing I worry about is he will b coming in the winter (Michigan) and how do u explain snow and the cold hawk to someone who has NEVER experienced it? He says he will adjust and understands . . but . . what is he understanding?

Anyways, I think we will be ok for we have lived as a couple in JA and there has been plenty of times when we both just sat, looked and enjoyed each other's company as we swapped flies and baked in the hot weather . . .

Wait deh. ESL course? :lol: For what? English is the official language in JA. Just thought it funny you said that. Anyway, I've already suggested to my honey to take some Continuing Ed courses at the local community college while he waits. Yes, TV and computer will get boring after a while. That's the downside of the K1.

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I did the best that I could for my hubby and there stillwas a short time when being home/not working was driving him insane. I started putting in work before he came tothe states by having him think of his new career path, which we would researchtogether, and I started helping to kill all misconceptions he had about livingin this country to prepare him. When hecame on his visa and we were waiting to get married, I took advantage of histime off so we could travel, do final planning for our wedding, etc. That was for about the first three months butwe had a great time getting used to living together, I would take him out andshow him nice restaurants to get him used to the food, took him on day trips tothe beach, rodeo and all kinds of stuff that I knew he had never experiencedbefore. Just seeing his face as he triedsomething new or saw something beautiful was well worth it. All the while, during the day, I kept himoccupied by having him research what type of school he wanted to go to, littlethings around the house and finalizing his career choice. After our marriage and honeymoon, he was readyto do the finishing touches and enroll in school. That took up the time when we were doingbiometrics, etc. We received his working permit but it was half way through histraining at that time. By then he hadhis driver’s license, car and took frequent trips to the library just to fillhis time and study before we would have an outing at night. Next came his graduation. The two months between him being certified forhis new profession and finding a job was when it all hit the fan. He got boredand aching to work. I say this to tell you that no matter what, if you have aman that really wants to work, even if you keep him occupied like I did, hewill find some downtime to worry about having a job so don’t feel bad about it. Just roll with it. It’s not you. The best you can do is get all of his paperwork submitted to shorten hiswait and have fun because busy schedules will get in the way of your timetogether soon enough.

Sounds a bit similar to what I have planned... Lots of traveling, trying new things, school, etc...

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Ok, so I was in the kitchen cooking dinner and started to wonder what my day would be like if my hunny was here with me. Then I thought to myself...how is it going to be when he just gets here? I will have to go to work and I guess he will just have to sit at home? I mean once we get married and he applies for residency he can start looking for work but in the mean time I have a feeling he is going to get reallyyyyyy bored! :unsure:

Just wondering how those of you who have already crossed that bridge handled it....Thanks!

when my fiance comes he will take the time to get to know things better and luckly for him his best friend and mine live below me so he can spend some time with him while im at work.... talk with his family on skype every day

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

as1cJOU-M240000MDAwMDA4fDAwMDEzOThsfGJlY2FtZSBhIGNvdXBsZQ.gif

Filed: IR-2 Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My hubby loves to work and cook so that will keep him occupied until he finds work. We have also looked into construction apprenticeships in my area (we are hoping he comes by the end of the year), he also wants to go back to school.... :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Wait deh. ESL course? :lol: For what? English is the official language in JA. Just thought it funny you said that. Anyway, I've already suggested to my honey to take some Continuing Ed courses at the local community college while he waits. Yes, TV and computer will get boring after a while. That's the downside of the K1.

Lol!

Edited by cocoadiva

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I have actually been wondering the same. The good thing is he is coming right before the holidays... he will probably want to see all the Christmasy stuff everywhere. In Chile they have Christmas during their summer. Washington State is the complete opposite. Hopefully he will like that. But im making a stash of movies for him to watch and comics for him to read. XD

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I restore British and German cars (have had couple of cars in international magazines). I am looking forward to restoring a W201 Mercedes I picked up for my Fiancee. First order of business is working with her to convert it from auto to stickshift.

Very cool! My guy is a bit of a car geek too, but he doesn't restore them just likes to look at them once guys like you are done. What he'll be doing is looking for all the local car shows that he can attend. LOL We have a lot here in So Cal.

Good luck with your next project!

May 2008: Met on the Carnival Paradise
2008-2012: 20 Cruises, 8 vacations, many wonderful moments
May 2012: Engaged!

K-1
May 17 2012: I-129F Sent
May 22 2012: NOA1
Aug 17 2012: NOA2
Aug 28 2012: Left NVC
Aug 29 2012: Vancouver Consolate Received
Sept 7 2012: Package 3 received
Sept 18 2012: Package 4 received
Nov 20 2012: Medical
Nov 26 2012: Interview - APPROVED!
Dec 01 2012: POE
Jan 12 2013: Wedding!
AOS
Jan 26 2013: AOS Sent
Jan 31 2013: NOA1 eMail
Mar 06 2013: Feb 13 2013 (walk-in) Biometrics Appt
Mar 28 2013: EAD/AP Approval
April 02 2013: Interview - APPROVED!
April 05 2013: EAD/AP Card received
April 10 2013: Greencard ARRIVED!!

ROC

Jan 12 2015: I-751 Sent

Jan 16 2015: Received NOA1. Receipt date: Jan 13th

Feb 19 2015: Biometrics

June 10 2015: APPROVED!

June 18 2015: Greencard Arrived!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Museums, I'm not far from Chicago. He wants to go there. Visiting friends and relatives, trying new food, shopping, things like that. We want to cook together and invite people over for dinner. He has never eaten Mexican food. We have a couple nice Mexican restaurants here. He loves sea food (more than me). I showed him the menu for Red Lobster. Now he wants to go there, too. He has never seen the inside of our huge American stock-up stores. We will need a tight budget!

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Can a person take classes for "credit" toward a degree prior to receiving their green card? Or does it have to be noncredit classes?

Like in college?

Day 0 08/21/2012 Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131

Day 1 Received the next day via UPS

Day 6 08/27/2012 email and text for all 4

Day 10 08/31/12 NOA1 for all 4 and Biometric appointment for 09/21

Day 18 09/08/12 REF on I-485, waiting for the letter

Day 31 09/21/12 Biometrics done

Day 34 09/24/12 RFE hard copy for I-864

Day 51 10/11/12 RFE Response sent (about 30 days behind)

Day 55 10/15/12 RFE response review

Day 64 10/24/12 Online status changed to EAD/AP Card production

Day 72 11/01/12 EAD/AP Card arrived!!

Day 73 11/02/12 Interview SMS for December 3rd

Day 76 11/05/12 Applied for SSN and HARD COPY of Interview

Day 104 12/03/12 INTERVIEW DAY!!! 9 am Chicago, IL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.