sasaqlain

Processing Time for N400 in New York City......?

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

I just worked out that October 12, 2012 is the last day to register to vote in New York City to qualify to vote in the November 6 election. I don't think I am going to make it thanks to the ultra slow processing by the NYC field office.

Lawyer said that USCIS often underestimates the amount of time to schedule and interview. She said I could call the number, but they'd likely tell me the same thing. Tried calling the number, it doesn't answer. Our tax dollars at work.

Tax dollars AND $680 filing fee.

That's what's annoying me most - I get that NYC is busier than most, but every one applying has paid their money to file, yet we're getting an inferior service.

Timeline

I finally managed to get through to USCIS this morning, they told me NYC is processing Jan 2 applications now. I said that I participate in an online forum and that someone in NYC with a priority date after mine has already got an interview scheduled (that would be BGD). The agent on the phone opened a service request for me for non-receipt of documents, the NYC field office has 15 days to respond. I also contacted my Congresswoman and Sen. Gillibrand's office to express my disappointment in the under-resourcing of the NYC field office, pointing out that we pay fees for to file applications and have a reasonable expectation that our applications will be processed in a timely and professional manner.

Edited by BKMatthew

I finally managed to get through to USCIS this morning, they told me NYC is processing Jan 2 applications now. I said that I participate in an online forum and that someone in NYC with a priority date after mine has already got an interview scheduled (that would be BGD). The agent on the phone opened a service request for me for non-receipt of documents, the NYC field office has 15 days to respond. I also contacted my Congresswoman and Sen. Gillibrand's office to express my disappointment in the under-resourcing of the NYC field office, pointing out that we pay fees for to file applications and have a reasonable expectation that our applications will be processed in a timely and professional manner.

I spoke to them last week and after getting a service request, was also told the January 2 thing, which I knew to be untrue (though unlike you didn't raise it with them - I wish I had now, good on you for doing it).

I wouldn't be so bothered by the timing - 8 months or so to become a citizen really isn't so bad IF it were the normal timescale. Seeing people at other centers getting their oaths within 3 months is amazingly annoying. Even more so when it means I won't get to vote this year.

Edited by EgonRonay

Prompted by everyone’s calls to USCIS re NYC scheduling and “coincidental” notices, I have tried to get some kind of an answer from USCIS this am.

The first service rep, I spoke to was a really nice lady, but knowing she does not have access to much of the info, I requested to be connected to second tier rep. Unfortunately, he was nothing like his colleague. The bottom line he told me is that NYC is processing application since January 2, and my application is still in their valid time frame. For it to be considered out of the normal timeframe for this office, a 143 BUSNIESS DAYS need to pass in order for them to do anything. His was unwilling to open a service request, and only suggestion was to make an InfoPass. As BKMatthew I did rise the point that applicants after Jan 2 and as recent as May applicants have received their interview notices. At that point, conversation went downhill.

So wise people of VisaJourney any suggestions for me.

Prompted by everyone’s calls to USCIS re NYC scheduling and “coincidental” notices, I have tried to get some kind of an answer from USCIS this am.

The first service rep, I spoke to was a really nice lady, but knowing she does not have access to much of the info, I requested to be connected to second tier rep. Unfortunately, he was nothing like his colleague. The bottom line he told me is that NYC is processing application since January 2, and my application is still in their valid time frame. For it to be considered out of the normal timeframe for this office, a 143 BUSNIESS DAYS need to pass in order for them to do anything. His was unwilling to open a service request, and only suggestion was to make an InfoPass. As BKMatthew I did rise the point that applicants after Jan 2 and as recent as May applicants have received their interview notices. At that point, conversation went downhill.

So wise people of VisaJourney any suggestions for me.

I feel you frustration. My only advice from here would be to watch for people whose time frame on here is similar to yours - the two people who recently had their letters sent were added to the 'interview scheduling' queue the same day as me so I'm hoping to get a notice or letter soon.

Frustratingly, it seems waiting in the only option at this point.

Timeline

I feel you frustration. My only advice from here would be to watch for people whose time frame on here is similar to yours - the two people who recently had their letters sent were added to the 'interview scheduling' queue the same day as me so I'm hoping to get a notice or letter soon.

Frustratingly, it seems waiting in the only option at this point.

I believe that your "Priority Date" is the most important date, it should be the same as your first notice date from USCIS, but doesn't have to be. The tables on visajourney don't have a column for Priority Date. If someone with a later priority date gets action before you, that is a problem for USCIS. You really need to use all the code words so that they know you know what you're talking about.

I believe that your "Priority Date" is the most important date, it should be the same as your first notice date from USCIS, but doesn't have to be. The tables on visajourney don't have a column for Priority Date. If someone with a later priority date gets action before you, that is a problem for USCIS. You really need to use all the code words so that they know you know what you're talking about.

I will double check my priority date the moment I get home, and compare it to the the others applications.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This whole longer process thing in NYC is really getting me down today! It's not so much the longer wait--I can handle that as my husband's green card is valid and there's no real hope of him getting to vote in this year's election. We frequently travel--him even more so for business--and it's making me feel like my life is on hold while waiting for an interview date! I wish they would just schedule the interview right away. Even if it's 8 months down the road, I would feel more settled! Added to the fact that it seems there's nothing we can do about it. UGH.

Sorry to complain. I love NYC but not when it comes to USCIS. mad.gif

N-400 Timeline

August 18, 2012 - Mailed application

August 20, 2012 - Check cashed

August 21, 2012 - NOA

August 30, 2012 - Biometrics Appt for 9/12

August 31, 2012 - Walk-in Biometrics completed (Brooklyn, NY)

September 5, 2012 - Notification of being placed in line for interview

December 20, 2012 - Notification of interview being scheduled

January 28, 2013 - Interview date

February 8, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I have a feeling before this month comes to an end, things will pick up pace, including in NY.... I got an "inline for interview text" today.

IR5 For Parent

Timeline

I have a feeling before this month comes to an end, things will pick up pace, including in NY.... I got an "inline for interview text" today.

Congrats! It's always good to hear some progress is being made. I hope you're right!

N-400 Timeline

August 21, 2012 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So, when " in-line for interview", is there a timeframe where I should expect a scheduling. If I don't hear anything, when should I contact Uscis for an update?

IR5 For Parent

So, when " in-line for interview", is there a timeframe where I should expect a scheduling. If I don't hear anything, when should I contact Uscis for an update?

Unfortunately being put in-line doesn't necessarily mean an interview letter is coming anytime soon - I was put inline on July 10th and am still waiting - though as you said, things will be speeding up now summer is over.

Timeline

Unfortunately being put in-line doesn't necessarily mean an interview letter is coming anytime soon - I was put inline on July 10th and am still waiting - though as you said, things will be speeding up now summer is over.

You've been waiting two months just for the interview date to be scheduled?! Wow... That doesn't bode well for us at all. :(

Do you think the wait depends on how easily they are able to get information from your home country? I've seen some people zip through this process and for others it seems to take quite a lot longer.

N-400 Timeline

August 21, 2012 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.