nebodihome

Passport entry stamps as proof of bonafide relationship?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Okay, I may have stumbled across something else. When I go into the file folder where our photos are saved and can see all the photos in there in thumbnail format. Then , I can click on one of them, let's say IMG_022. What happens is a larger preview of this image appears to the right, while on the bottom it has "stats" about the image, including the size of the image, dimension, camera that took it, and it also has something that says "Date taken: 12/21/2011 10:58pm" . This seems good. The only problem is that obviously the time in the camera was messed up because it has some photos in broad daylight, and while the date is right, it will say "3:06 am" :( So am assuming it's pretty easy to adjust internal camera date/time and so this "evidence" is no good, right?

Yet I also notice we have photos from August 2011, which were taken with my cellphone, which I can't adjust the time because it sets it automatically, and these photos have all the date and time exactly right. I guess it wouldn't hurt to include these things as well.

First of all, a copy of entire passport, front to back, proves you're a US citizen. it also proves you've visited(passport stamps). Those are 2 out of the 3 requirements for being eligible to petition your fiancee. The 3rd requirement is being legally free to marry.

Print the pictures out on regular paper and hand write the dates and location. The file info is good in case you don't recall when the pictures were taken however handwritten dates are just as good.

I can only assume you're gathering info for the i-129f petition, is that correct?

There are 2 different ways of proving relationship, and what is most important when filing the initial petition is simply proving you have met. You prove that with easily trusted evidence such as passport stamps, creditcard statements of having used credit card in your fiancee's country, hotel room in both your names etc. The pictures merely supports this evidence however I'd still put a few pictures in the petition.

Then there's proof of ongoing relationship which is needed later on at the embassy. This may be chatlogs, new pictures, phone calls, visits since the petition had been filed(new passport stamps also) - all this to prove that your relationship is alive and kicking and has been since you filed the petition.

Again, we need more info, please :)

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Timeline

OP, it would benefit you greatly if you were to fill out some profile information, such as what country your fiancé is from.

Consulates vary from country to country.

That way, you can get answers tailored to your specific situation.

For the I-129F, all you have to do is prove you met within the last 2 years, are legally able to marry, letters of intent from both of you, and divorce decrees if necessary.

The ongoing relationship comes after NOA2 and when your fiance goes to the K1 interview.

But, if you are dealing with a high fraud consulate, then front loading the petition may benefit you. If not, then you can just concentrate on the evidence for meeting face to face within last 2 years.

Copy all pages of your passport, even the blank ones. (There is a reason to copy all of the pages which you won't read in any instructions. This is to show that you are not trying to; #1-hide anything and #2- that nothing has been manipulated in your passport. There are several super senior members who advocate this. I am of the same opinion.)

The fact that you actually entered the country outweighs a boarding pass. (Who knows, someone could have been denied entry and never entered the country) It is nice to have it all, but not everyone does.

Good Luck, you are well on your way to getting this all done....

Thank you. I will update my profile soon. I am of course from the U.S. and my fiance is from Colombia. When you say proving that I am legally able to marry, would this only entail basically indicating that I am single and have never been married? I also assume that my fiance wouldn't have to do anything special either because, even though Colombian laws seems to be more strict with legally proving freedom to marry, this shouldn't apply since this whole process is done with a U.S. consulate. Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

All your evidence goes together to make a complete package for USCIS and their evaluation.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

When you say proving that I am legally able to marry, would this only entail basically indicating that I am single and have never been married?

OK, I apologize for not using full sentences. That was my fault and sorry for the confusion.

Please study the I-129F directions carefully.

For the I-129F, the documents you need to provide to prove you(and fiancé) can legally marry are:

#1- The evidence that you 2 met within the last 2 years. (passport copies, hotel receipts, and photos of you 2 together..etc....)

#2-An original signed letter from both of you establishing intent to mary within 90 days (example here)

#3-If you are not of age to marry, you need consent

#4- If either of you have been married before, copies of divorce decrees.

Moomin's post was well written, re-read it.

Study the K1 guide carefully. I don't say this to insult you, I say this in order to save you time and heartache later through a simple RFE.

Learn to use this website like a tool. Read through some threads in K1 forum. Look at the questions others are asking and then see the answers they are given. Here again, I know I catch hell for being blunt. Someone will read this and say I am being insensitive. But really I am not, I am trying to emphasize how important it is for you to understand the process through studying. Then, when you hit a bump in the road and need clarification, members can assist you more efficiently.

Best of luck to you. And remember, if you run into some snags, please ask.

Edited by Que Saudade

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Correct. We have tons of photos together, I can prove that I have sent money through Western Union, my Skype bills, our online conversations... etc. I can prove I have purchased airline tickets to her country and also for her within her country, I can prove we had reservations in both our names at hotels. The problem is that, silly us, we never thought when we were together this past December that we would be getting married... so we didn't save anything like boarding passes, hotel receipts, nothing. Well, we have ONE hotel receipt that proves that I at least was physically there and paid for it. So my plan is to use that, coupled with the reservation in that hotel, coupled with my entry stamps into her country in August 2011 and December 2011 to prove that we have seen each other in the past two years. Will that be good enough?

Proving that there's an ongoing relationship should be far easier.

Have you tried contacting the airline to see if you can get a copy of the itinerary or boarding passes? Sometimes they will send you a copy. How did you book the travel? Find the CC statement and copy the information about the tavel arrangements to her country. Treat this like a court of law and you must PROVE that you met within the last two years because you made airlines reservations--itinerary or board passes would be best; entered her country--passport stamp; met her--photos and those receipts of hotels you have. Connect the dots for them. Fortunately my wife and I need visas to visa the other's country so the visa has our names along with the validity date and the stamps, but I still sent in boarding passes and photos should us together in front of recognizable land marks. If you cannot come up with this information, I would strongly suggest you visit her again and keep all documentation. The having met within two years is one of those they do not bend on at all.

Good luck,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.