fbibob

Dependant Child

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My Russian fiancee' has a 10 year old daughter who will come with her to the United States. The normal process requires that the applicant have proof that she has sole custody of the child, or the permission of the father for the child to emmigrate to the US. But the father of the girl is Vietnamese, and is currently living in Hanoi. At no time did he ever provide any support or have any influence on the child's life.

We are not even sure we can locate him.

So my question is has anybody been in a similar situation? I need to know if the embassy will accept the little girl's obvious asian parentage and believe that the father is not a Russian national and cannot be located to provide permission.

Filed: Timeline

fbibob,

Ask the people who will make the decision - the consular section in Moscow?

Yodrak

My Russian fiancee' has a 10 year old daughter who will come with her to the United States. The normal process requires that the applicant have proof that she has sole custody of the child, or the permission of the father for the child to emmigrate to the US. But the father of the girl is Vietnamese, and is currently living in Hanoi. At no time did he ever provide any support or have any influence on the child's life.

So my question is has anybody been in a similar situation? I need to know if the embassy will accept the little girl's obvious asian parentage and believe that the father is not a Russian national and cannot be located to provide permission.

here's a link to Moscow Embassy.

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/

my guess is she shouldn't have a problem if she has sole custody and the father isn't even in the country.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
fbibob,

Ask the people who will make the decision - the consular section in Moscow?

Yodrak

i do not beleive the embassy will care if the father is a russian national or a foreign national. They want to know that she has permission from the child's father to emigrate. I am speaking from a ukrainian perspective but for me there is was option to do a legal proceeding to provide my fiance sole custody of the child due to abandonement. the embassy would not consider any other kind of evidence other than the signed parental release or the court action. moscow maybe different but i have my doubts.

here's a link to Moscow Embassy.

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/

my guess is she shouldn't have a problem if she has sole custody and the father isn't even in the country.

i agree sole custody is the defining issue. can she prove sole custody? she may from a literal or a practical standpoint have sole custody but can she prove it with a legal document.....

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.