MayoKy

I 751 September 2012 Filers

826 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I actually called USCIS yesterday and the representative informed me that he cannot give me any tracking number or further information because I'm still in initial review on the system (even though I got the approval letter). I explained my current situation and he just kept saying I have to wait at least 60 days before taking any action (I got the letter on 4/17). Also, he sounds like he's careless and doesn't care.

Oh..one more thing I got the same notification as you did (request for change of address) about 3 week ago even though I never filed it.

Anyways, what did you tell them? Can you give me some tips?

I was lucky that I spoke with a nice and knowledgeable representative. I told him that I had received the change-of-address notice without ever changing address, he sent an internal email to his colleagues telling them that the notice I had received was wrong, and asking to send me the card. within 24 hours I got an email and text message saying that my card was being printed and then sent to me. I guess you will need to call again until you speak with someone who will help you out.

I was lucky that I spoke with a nice and knowledgeable representative. I told him that I had received the change-of-address notice without ever changing address, he sent an internal email to his colleagues telling them that the notice I had received was wrong, and asking to send me the card. within 24 hours I got an email and text message saying that my card was being printed and then sent to me. I guess you will need to call again until you speak with someone who will help you out.

I'll call them right now. I feel like i'm going through hell now..(sigh).

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you updated!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I asked my employer that as well. However, she said she needs an actual card. (I know..it sounds really stupid..)

No she doesn't. Bring the printout from the I-9 instructions and highlight the passage on page 9 where it lists the documents (http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf)

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

I'll call them right now. I feel like i'm going through hell now..(sigh).

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you updated!

explain to the representative that you fear that your card will be sent to the wrong address, given the change-of-address notice.

explain to the representative that you fear that your card will be sent to the wrong address, given the change-of-address notice.

I called them and I told them my concern. However, the representative told me to just wait. Should I keep calling them to talk to other representatives? (Sorry for asking too much questions!)

Timeline

I called them and I told them my concern. However, the representative told me to just wait. Should I keep calling them to talk to other representatives? (Sorry for asking too much questions!)

I would

I would

I just talked to the male representative who is very knowledgeable and nice! (I have waited literally 80 minutes to talk to him..that USCIS song is still howling in my head) He said I can disregard my change of address notice and I could "double-confirm" my current address with him. Also, he told me to wait one more month to receive the card. (even though it has been 45 days already) It sounded like they didn't send my card yet. I guess I have let my employer know. (sigh)

Anyways, Thank you newlyweds2010!

Timeline

I just talked to the male representative who is very knowledgeable and nice! (I have waited literally 80 minutes to talk to him..that USCIS song is still howling in my head) He said I can disregard my change of address notice and I could "double-confirm" my current address with him. Also, he told me to wait one more month to receive the card. (even though it has been 45 days already) It sounded like they didn't send my card yet. I guess I have let my employer know. (sigh)

Anyways, Thank you newlyweds2010!

I would also try to schedule an infopass before Friday and see if they replace your expired GC and extension letter with an I-551 stamp. This should suffice for your employer to verify your work eligibility.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

It would be sad to lose the job because the HR's lack of knowledge. Aren't they obliged to accept an I-551? I would request her to consult her bosses or the legal dept if she has one. Also if the job is worth it, offer to get a letter from maybe an attorney or so who can explain it to her.

Jason9090:

Martyshk is correct. As an HR professional myself your employer has to accept the i-551 stamp as an acceptable document in column A of the i-9 form and that's it! She doesn't need a card.

It does appear that your particlular HR person is clueless.

In the many years I have spent in HR, I've not once had an employee present me with an acceptable document in allowed timeframe and me rescind their job offer.

I-130: Stepdaughter

10/21/09: NOA1

3/10/10: NOA2

3/16/10:NVC Case # Assigned

3/17/10: Email Given to NVC

3/19/10: AOS and IV Fee Bills Received by NVC

3/23/10: AOS Bill and IV Shows Paid

3/24/10 IV Bill Shows Paid

4/7/10: Police Certificates and other documents received from step-daughter

4/14/10: DS-230 and I-864 documents sent to NVC

4/23/10: AVR - Documents Received

4/29/10: Case Complete

6/22/10: Interview

Jason9090:

Martyshk is correct. As an HR professional myself your employer has to accept the i-551 stamp as an acceptable document in column A of the i-9 form and that's it! She doesn't need a card.

It does appear that your particlular HR person is clueless.

In the many years I have spent in HR, I've not once had an employee present me with an acceptable document in allowed timeframe and me rescind their job offer.

I was in the job training and the manager kicked me out from the training center. The manager said if I get a new greencard by this Friday, she could put me back in the training. I explained her that I got an extension for a year and I even showed her the letters (both approval and extension letter). Also, I was aware of the I-551 stamp, so I mentioned about that too. However, she said she will only accept a NEW greencard. (While she was talking, she was circling the expiration date (December 3, 2012) on a photocopy of my expired greencard.)

Oh I forgot to mention this. It's a flight attendant position, so it requires traveling abroad. My manager was worried about the possibility that I could not come back to the United States because of my expired greencard. (Even though I told her that I have traveled abroad many many times with my expired greencard and the letter.)

Edited by jason9090

I will requote what Martyshk stated earlier:

jason9090, on 29 May 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:snapback.png

I asked my employer that as well. However, she said she needs an actual card. (I know..it sounds really stupid..)

No she doesn't. Bring the printout from the I-9 instructions and highlight the passage on page 9 where it lists the documents (http://www.uscis.gov...es/form/i-9.pdf)

If you go to the same uscis website home page look to the top right side of page for self check E-Verify and follow the instructions to self check your authorization to work. You may also want to try this if you can't make it to your local uscis office and get the i-551 stamp by Friday. If it were me and I wanted to try and keep this job, I would do everything I could to schedule and infopass appoinment, get the stamp and then take that to HR. If they still refuse and rescind job offer you may want to file a complaint or consider speaking with an employment attorney because their not accepting this document when uscis clearly allows this as an acceptable document.

I-130: Stepdaughter

10/21/09: NOA1

3/10/10: NOA2

3/16/10:NVC Case # Assigned

3/17/10: Email Given to NVC

3/19/10: AOS and IV Fee Bills Received by NVC

3/23/10: AOS Bill and IV Shows Paid

3/24/10 IV Bill Shows Paid

4/7/10: Police Certificates and other documents received from step-daughter

4/14/10: DS-230 and I-864 documents sent to NVC

4/23/10: AVR - Documents Received

4/29/10: Case Complete

6/22/10: Interview

I will requote what Martyshk stated earlier:

jason9090, on 29 May 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:snapback.png

No she doesn't. Bring the printout from the I-9 instructions and highlight the passage on page 9 where it lists the documents (http://www.uscis.gov...es/form/i-9.pdf)

If you go to the same uscis website home page look to the top right side of page for self check E-Verify and follow the instructions to self check your authorization to work. You may also want to try this if you can't make it to your local uscis office and get the i-551 stamp by Friday. If it were me and I wanted to try and keep this job, I would do everything I could to schedule and infopass appoinment, get the stamp and then take that to HR. If they still refuse and rescind job offer you may want to file a complaint or consider speaking with an employment attorney because their not accepting this document when uscis clearly allows this as an acceptable document.

Yes, I really really want to keep this job. In fact, I'm desperate.

I'm actually trying to make an INFOPASS appointment right now, but for some reason INFOPASS website says that "At this time, there are no information appointments available for the office in your area. Please try back again later." Do you know if they take a walk-in appointment? or is there specific time that they open available time slots?

Edited by jason9090

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.