cassecouilles

A job in the US without a college degree

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have just started the K1 application process but if everything goes well we should (hopefully) be in the states by June 2013.

It's probably a bit premature, but I worry about finding a job in the states. I'm only a few classes short of graduating in translating but I don't actually have my Bachelor's degree yet and I might not be able to graduate before moving to the states.

Can you get a good job in the states without a college degree? I have about 4 years of work experience. I worked as a travel insurance agent the first year, and have been working at the US embassy in progressively responsible jobs for the last 3 years. I have good references, and the last three are actually from US supervisors. I'll be honest, the lack of degree hasn't held me back at all until now, I make a pretty good salary and love my job... but am terrified of what's going to happen once I move to the US.

I'm not a "rockstar" at anything, don't have any super specialized talents to give me an edge. Basically I'm just a quick learner that's willing to work. I grew up speaking French, Dutch and Spanish. I am also fluent in English and German. But even though I am fluent in five languages, I don't actually have a degree or certificate that oficially states that.

Do you think I would be able to find a good job? By that I mean maybe an administrative job in a large company.

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts on this!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You appear very talented. Any Member would agree with that. Finish your Degree is what most thoughts would be. But, in your favor. If you have those talents you stated, you have a good chance more than others. Make a good choice....

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I have just started the K1 application process but if everything goes well we should (hopefully) be in the states by June 2013.

It's probably a bit premature, but I worry about finding a job in the states. I'm only a few classes short of graduating in translating but I don't actually have my Bachelor's degree yet and I might not be able to graduate before moving to the states.

Can you get a good job in the states without a college degree? I have about 4 years of work experience. I worked as a travel insurance agent the first year, and have been working at the US embassy in progressively responsible jobs for the last 3 years. I have good references, and the last three are actually from US supervisors. I'll be honest, the lack of degree hasn't held me back at all until now, I make a pretty good salary and love my job... but am terrified of what's going to happen once I move to the US.

r

I'm not a "rockstar" at anything, don't have any super specialized talents to give me an edge. Basically I'm just a quick learner that's willing to work. I grew up speaking French, Dutch and Spanish. I am also fluent in English and German. But even though I am fluent in five languages, I don't actually have a degree or certificate that oficially states that.

Do you think I would be able to find a good job? By that I mean maybe an administrative job in a large company.

In order for you to work in the USA you must have an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). When You first arrive in the US, your passport should be stamped with an I-94, this will give you the ability to work in the USA for 90 days. After this, you can not work in the USA until you have filed the AOS (Adjustment of Status) process and have received your EAD and 2-year green card. It would be in your best interest to have your college transcript(s) evaluated by a credited education evaluation agency. As my memory serves me, there are 2(two) agencies in the USA that do this. Getting a job, good job, in the US is not that difficult, just time consuming.

As an example, my gal, a filipina, was unable to get a good job here in the USA until she got her 2-year green card. Your experience may differ.

Best wishes,

Sid

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone,

SInce you speak all these languages, you may easily work as a teacher, unless you are not interested in. There is always a great need here for foreign languages and for Spanish teachers.

But you first should finish your degree and have your credentials evaluated.

Timeline

Thanks for the input guys. Originally the plan was for me to graduate before I left. However, my fiance tells me he wants to get married in March already. Since we're petitioning for a K1 Visa, this has to be in the US.

It's all a timing issue. He has a house in Detroit, which is where we'll eventually end up, but right now he's still active duty abroad. In May he would leave his current post abroad and move to the fleet, he doesn't know in which state yet. The thing is, for me and our little boy to be able to go with him we need to start applying now. That way we can move when he does and instead of him staying in the baracks we can rent something. It's only for 11 months, so if I wait until say, the end of july (after my exams) to leave, he would have to rent a place only for 8 months. It hardly seems worth it to go through the expense of moving twice. If we hadn't had our 5 months old little boy I would have made the sensible decision, wait for him here, graduate and he could stay in the baracks. Easier all the way around. But we do have a little baby boy, and he's missing out on so much already that we both don't want him to wait an extra year longer.

How long does it take before I can actually travel again? I think it's after you become a legal resident right? If that doesn't take too long, I could always come back in september and take the second set of exams and hope I graduate on the first try.

The one thing that's becoming clear to me though is that I absolutely need that degree.

Let's put it this way. You can find a job in the US without a degree, on another hand having a good paying degree job without a degree is challenging. I've been in this position before I got my degree. I also speak 4 languages fluently, but degree did it all. I found a first good paying job after I got my bachelors, after completing my master's I got a raise for having a Master's degree, currently I am half way done with my PhD and terminal degree in the US are big boost. I am not saying that you should go thru all the levels I did, but you should consider getting at least bachelor's if you are looking for a good paying job.

Sorry if I offended you and I don't undermine you skills and knowledge, but degree, will give you a better chance.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Timeline

Let's put it this way. You can find a job in the US without a degree, on another hand having a good paying degree job without a degree is challenging. I've been in this position before I got my degree. I also speak 4 languages fluently, but degree did it all. I found a first good paying job after I got my bachelors, after completing my master's I got a raise for having a Master's degree, currently I am half way done with my PhD and terminal degree in the US are big boost. I am not saying that you should go thru all the levels I did, but you should consider getting at least bachelor's if you are looking for a good paying job.

Sorry if I offended you and I don't undermine you skills and knowledge, but degree, will give you a better chance.

You're merely stating what you know to be true, that could never offend me :-) That was very helpful, thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Do some research now looking at jobs/careers that you would be interested in pursuing. Find out what the qualifications are and then plan accordingly.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Many school districts/courts/hospitals MUST offer translation services. Some use phone based systems but others may prefer in-person translational help. One of my former coworkers had language skills desperately needed here and was on-call with the courts, the state police, the county sheriffs, and the school districts. Unfortunately, there is no way to "manage" your hours as it's on-call work but it gave him a nice supplemental income [$30/hr - including travel time] and it got him networking with tons of people.

I would also look at the local universities near where you are re-locating and see what it will take to complete your degree. I'd do it now so you can hit the ground running when you arrive in the US.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You may end up getting a good job in the US without a college degree but all really good jobs will require a college degree. I would strongly recommend you get your degree before you move to the US or seek a college or university that will accept your credits, so you can continue your education in the US.

As you already work at the US Embassy, you may start your network right there. The connections you acquire through the Dept of State are invaluable. Depending on where you will live, they may come in handy. Alternatively you may look and find out if there are any consulates in the area where you will live and where you could use your language skills.

Other than that, you can apply to become a certified translator which will enable you to make some extra money either working for yourself or for a translation/interpretation company. Here is the link to the ATA website: http://www.atanet.org/

If you already know where you will establish residence in the US it may behoove you to look at what jobs are available in that area for it will give you an idea of what is in demand and if you need to beef up your resume one way or another.

viel Glueck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Here's my own experience and I do believe there are other factors at play - it's not just about whether or not you have a degree - it's whether you have relevant experience in place of a degree, where you live ( I live in Orange County, California) and how you come across at interview:

Once I had my EAD I didn't know where my skills and personality would be best suited in the US job market so I became a temp with an employment agency for 6 months. ($25 ph)

Another temp agency helped me get a position which lasted five years - starting pay $55k - got laid off in reduction in force - ending pay $65k

Unemployed 9 months April 2010 to Jan 2011 - but ended up with 54 interviews and 5 job offers - none of which paid less than $55k and landed a job in which starting pay was $72500 and now earning $76k.

I do not have a degree of any kind and work in administrative positions as an Executive Assistant -so it can be done if all the factors are in your favor if you can find a company who will look past your lack of degree!!

Good luck.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

SInce you speak all these languages, you may easily work as a teacher, unless you are not interested in. There is always a great need here for foreign languages and for Spanish teachers.

But you first should finish your degree and have your credentials evaluated.

No, she can't. Teaching requires a degree + a state approved teacher education program + state specific test.

It is far from being easy.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

In order for you to work in the USA you must have an EAD (Employment Authorization Document). When You first arrive in the US, your passport should be stamped with an I-94, this will give you the ability to work in the USA for 90 days. After this, you can not work in the USA until you have filed the AOS (Adjustment of Status) process and have received your EAD and 2-year green card. It would be in your best interest to have your college transcript(s) evaluated by a credited education evaluation agency. As my memory serves me, there are 2(two) agencies in the USA that do this. Getting a job, good job, in the US is not that difficult, just time consuming.

As an example, my gal, a filipina, was unable to get a good job here in the USA until she got her 2-year green card. Your experience may differ.

Best wishes,

Sid

That's not true, the I-94 does NOT allow you to work for 90 days. Also you don't need your EAD AND 2-year green card to work. You can work once you get your EAD, while waiting for the green card.

Thanks for the input guys. Originally the plan was for me to graduate before I left. However, my fiance tells me he wants to get married in March already. Since we're petitioning for a K1 Visa, this has to be in the US.

It's all a timing issue. He has a house in Detroit, which is where we'll eventually end up, but right now he's still active duty abroad. In May he would leave his current post abroad and move to the fleet, he doesn't know in which state yet. The thing is, for me and our little boy to be able to go with him we need to start applying now. That way we can move when he does and instead of him staying in the baracks we can rent something. It's only for 11 months, so if I wait until say, the end of july (after my exams) to leave, he would have to rent a place only for 8 months. It hardly seems worth it to go through the expense of moving twice. If we hadn't had our 5 months old little boy I would have made the sensible decision, wait for him here, graduate and he could stay in the baracks. Easier all the way around. But we do have a little baby boy, and he's missing out on so much already that we both don't want him to wait an extra year longer.

How long does it take before I can actually travel again? I think it's after you become a legal resident right? If that doesn't take too long, I could always come back in september and take the second set of exams and hope I graduate on the first try.

The one thing that's becoming clear to me though is that I absolutely need that degree.

You can travel once you have your AP. You'll apply for this after you get married, along with your AOS and EAD. EAD/AP takes 60-90 days. AOS (the green card) can take a lot longer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Best wishes,

Sid

The information provided in this reply is incorrect. You can obtain a SSN with the I-94 but it will be noted on the SSN card that it is only valid with DHS authorization. The document that allows you to work is the EAD card and you can only apply for the EAD card once you are married and file for AOS/EAD/AP. People need to research the information that they provide before posting as it just confuses the OP when being provided with misleading information. When filing for the EAD it will take between 60 to 90 days to be approved and mailed out to you. You can apply for your SSN within 14 days of your arrival into the US. It allows for Immigration to have your information added into the system. I applied for my SSN after 7 days and I received my first card within 5 business days. After I was married I went back to the Social Security office and had my name changed using a certified copy of my marriage license. After you receive your GC you can go back to the Social Security office and have the DHS authorization removed from the card as your EAD card will no longer be required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.