HawaiianCecil

Wrote the check to "USCIS" - not Dept. of Homeland Security!

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I submitted my I-129F yesterday and I made my check out to "USCIS" and then I read somewhere that I should have made it out to "Dept. of Homeland Security"! Will this cause them to send it back to me?

[/q

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATS

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

Filing date: April 23, 2011

I-485 Biometrics Appt Date: May 16,2011

I-485 Approval Date:June 26 , 2011

I-485 Approved: Approved

Green Card received Date: August 04,2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

So I submitted my I-129F yesterday and I made my check out to "USCIS" and then I read somewhere that I should have made it out to "Dept. of Homeland Security"! Will this cause them to send it back to me?

I did the same thing when I sent our I-129F and they cashed the check with no problems...Good Luck :)

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think you will be ok, I mailed my check back in May, made it to USCIS and there was no problem at all :)

AOS/EAD Timeline

Married May 5th 2011 At San Francisco City Hall

May 31th, 2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

Jun 8th, 2012 - NOAs for all applications

Jun 29th, 2012 - AOS Biometrics Appointment

Jul 11th, 2012 - EAD Biometrics Appointment

Aug 8nd, 2012 - EAD approved

Aug 18th, 2012 - EADCard received

Sep 13th, 2012 - AOS Interview!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Dear Vjers,

Do you read every reply to the thread prior to posting your comments? How many threads have I read where the answer (or advice) was giving correctly within the first several replies, but then there are 2 pages of nonsense arguing about incorrect answers. Here again is another case in point. JimVaPhuong is one of the most reliable sources of information on VJ. He doesn't randomly come up with an opinion. If he states something, you can give it a fair amount of credence. In post #3

good.gif I've read it before myself....

It is the discussion. Just because an answer is given (that you think is correct) doesn't mean it can't be discussed further and debated. Most people are bored and waiting for their approvals. Let them have fun. I enjoy reading all the comments to hear different views.

Also, my 2 cents, USCIS is a Dept within the DHS, so the DHS should have authority to cash checks made out to the USCIS. With that being said, some other poster said he did the same and they sent back the whole packet, so I guess not.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is the discussion. Just because an answer is given (that you think is correct) doesn't mean it can't be discussed further and debated. Most people are bored and waiting for their approvals. Let them have fun. I enjoy reading all the comments to hear different views.

Also, my 2 cents, USCIS is a Dept within the DHS, so the DHS should have authority to cash checks made out to the USCIS. With that being said, some other poster said he did the same and they sent back the whole packet, so I guess not.

:ot: ....having fun with useful info

Yes....INS was dissolved after 9/11....leading to the creation of the Department of Homeland Security

which is broke down into 3 main categories...

1) C.I.S - Citizenship and Immigration Service

2) C.B.P - Customs and Border Patrol

3) I.C.E - Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Filed: Timeline

Well I am going to add my 2 cents here for what it is worth...I submitted my I-130 on June 16 2012 made out to USCIS and was afraid as well they would send it back but to my suprise they recieved it with no problems on June 18 2012. My friend called and was on hold with them for a long time to ask was this okay and they said people do it all the time... so I don't think it will be any different for the I-129....blessings! :)

Filed: Timeline

Well I am going to add my 2 cents here for what it is worth...I submitted my I-130 on June 16 2012 made out to USCIS and was afraid as well they would send it back but to my suprise they recieved it with no problems on June 18 2012. My friend called and was on hold with them for a long time to ask was this okay and they said people do it all the time... so I don't think it will be any different for the I-129....blessings! :)

Just noticed your signature.

Congrats. Ibadan is Gowons hometown. My Fiancees last name starts with Ade also.

I concur.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

They will send it back to you in about a month with a rejection letter telling you what to change. When I sent my I129F, I made the check out for the wrong amount. The government had lowered the fee and I didn't know. Instead of just cashing the check and mailing me a check for the difference, they rejected the whole package and I had to write a check for the correct amount.

Just let that be a good lesson to you as you start this long, long journey to your spouse becoming a permanent resident. Check and doublecheck everything until the second you put it in the mail.

Just noticed your signature.

Congrats. Ibadan is Gowons hometown. My Fiancees last name starts with Ade also.

I concur.

There area A LOT of things that would make this process go a lot quicker and smoother, but this is bureaucracy we are talking about.

They may or may not send it back. Wait and see. While you're waiting, I'd read the instructions a few more times in case there's anything else you've missed that might set you back. Always good to be prepared in case of an RFE.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

They will send it back to you in about a month with a rejection letter telling you what to change. When I sent my I129F, I made the check out for the wrong amount. The government had lowered the fee and I didn't know. Instead of just cashing the check and mailing me a check for the difference, they rejected the whole package and I had to write a check for the correct amount.

Just let that be a good lesson to you as you start this long, long journey to your spouse becoming a permanent resident. Check and doublecheck everything until the second you put it in the mail.

Your circumstance is totally different.....does not apply to the OP.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Dear Vjers,

Do you read every reply to the thread prior to posting your comments? How many threads have I read where the answer (or advice) was giving correctly within the first several replies, but then there are 2 pages of nonsense arguing about incorrect answers. Here again is another case in point. JimVaPhuong is one of the most reliable sources of information on VJ. He doesn't randomly come up with an opinion. If he states something, you can give it a fair amount of credence. In post #3

good.gif I've read it before myself....

Chill out will you.

1. You're not a moderator and no particular rule was stated concerning this that I know of, so please refrain from being patronizing.

2. Sometimes people like to hear it said by many people. One person might seem credible but who knows if they truly are especially on the internet?

3. As someone else said, let people give replies if they want to. Many of us are waiting. Live and let live. Ever hear that expression?

2003 - Met online.

Feb 2011 - Reunited online :)

Feb 2011 - Apr 2011 - Kept in touch every single day.

May 5th, 2011 - Met in person in Montreal <3 Knew we were meant to be.

July 21, 2011 - Met in person in Seattle, WA. Started talking of marriage and filing.

Nov 21, 2011 - Filed for K-1 Visa

Nov 24, 2011 - Received NOA1

Mar 23, 2012 - Met in Montreal as happy fiances. Proposal in person. <3

April 21, 2012 - Received approved NOA2

Sometime in May, 2012 - Received packet 3 letter.

Working on it about to submit...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

:ot: ....having fun with useful info

Yes....INS was dissolved after 9/11....leading to the creation of the Department of Homeland Security

which is broke down into 3 main categories...

1) C.I.S - Citizenship and Immigration Service

2) C.B.P - Customs and Border Patrol

3) I.C.E - Immigration and Customs Enforcement

The P in CBP stands for "protection."

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

The direction page states that it will be returned. There are others on VJ who filed and if it was the wrong dollar amount, it was rejected. Thus far, putting the wrong Pay to, has been processed as long as it was the correct dollar amount. Just track your check and see if it has been cashed. They use automatic check cashing system. You will know it has been cashed.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to USCIS Service Centers forum; topic is not about the visa process itself.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.