HawaiianCecil

Wrote the check to "USCIS" - not Dept. of Homeland Security!

42 posts in this topic

So I submitted my I-129F yesterday and I made my check out to "USCIS" and then I read somewhere that I should have made it out to "Dept. of Homeland Security"! Will this cause them to send it back to me?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Most probably. It needs to be sent to the department of homeland security.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So I submitted my I-129F yesterday and I made my check out to "USCIS" and then I read somewhere that I should have made it out to "Dept. of Homeland Security"! Will this cause them to send it back to me?

I'm pretty sure they can't cash it if it's made out to USCIS. They'll probably return the entire package to you.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

"send it back to me?" no. The bad side is that many people have sent in "blank checks/money orders," etc..., and the receiver of the "negotiable instrument" was able to re-word the "Pay To" line.

Best word(s)of caution: read all the instructions at least twice beforehand.

Best of luck,

Sid

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

its going to get returned to you. be on the look out

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Yes, they will. I did the same thing and they sent the whole package back, took a couple of weeks for them to get it back to me. Resent it with the right wording and now just waiting on that precious NOA2.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Several derogatory posts and those quoting removed. Stay civil and on topic or be thread banned. For the record, it is generally recommended NOT to use one's real name on internet forums. Informative part of posts quoting removed posts returned below ****

Sid, try and be Positive. A mistake.. I have seen this topic before. Though they are different entities of Goverment they are connected. 50/50 %. Its a 129-F simple form.

I think the check will clear.. Future mistakes are not so forgivable.

:ot2: OP, sorry to hear this happened! I almost did it too! But before I filled it out I doublechecked! Lesson learned. Hope it comes back to you soon or you get your NOA1. Good luck and just relax. Not much you can do until one of those things happens. (Side note: You might be able to call them and ask. It wouldn't hurt of course, but I'm not sure how they would track it without NOA1 because that has your case number on it. I'd try and see what happens.)

I believe it will be returned. If so, just write out the new check and send it the next day! Wont be a huge delay for you! Live and learn. While you are at it, if I was you I'd quadruple check the entire package! Don't want anything else holding you in time. I checked my package many times but even now I wonder if I missed something or will get an RFE... maybe its a blessing for you and you will catch something questionable and avoid an RFE later. Please update and let us know if it worked for you! Good luck!!!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Dear Vjers,

Do you read every reply to the thread prior to posting your comments? How many threads have I read where the answer (or advice) was giving correctly within the first several replies, but then there are 2 pages of nonsense arguing about incorrect answers. Here again is another case in point. JimVaPhuong is one of the most reliable sources of information on VJ. He doesn't randomly come up with an opinion. If he states something, you can give it a fair amount of credence. In post #3

I'm pretty sure they can't cash it if it's made out to USCIS. They'll probably return the entire package to you.

good.gif I've read it before myself....

Edited by Que Saudade

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don't understand why they even care about what it says on the check, they just use it to get your routing and account numbers and then do an electronic transfer. They never cash the check normally. I guess it's a legal thing that they can't use this info if the check isn't addressed to them.

Edited by vbtwo

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

i had endorsed the checks that i sent to DHS (on accident, of course).. they cashed it and didn't have a problem! so i'm thinking you won't get yours back..

event.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

the check has to be made out to the right departments, there are many, the application says make the check to us department of homeland security thats the way they want it follow instructions,

I actually did this very thing...they simply cashed the check and started my application...no big deal. Good luck.

Jackie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.