148 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your suggestion to get such via InfoPass appointment: can you explain why they'd give out spousal status information? This is important

IF... I use the term loosely... If he indeed went the VAWA route. No one outside of USCIS/ICE etc.... will see details. Part of the protection of VAWA.

Infopass will prove to be fruitless, time consuming, and aggravating.

Should the OP want to follow up in any capacity, it would be to go back to the agency she had to give a statement to in the beginning and give her most recent side of the story. Again, who knows after that. Maybe a secret society meeting happens and they take another look. There is no Standard Operating Procedure here. So the ability to cite procedures is speculative at best.

Maybe no one else really gives a hoot?? I bet if it happens to someone else, then they would have a slightly different outlook.

"OMG this happened to mecrying.gif."

However, every time we as a society allow an injustice to go by without even raising a concern, then we just set ourselves up for something a little lower to happen. Eventually, we look up and wonder how did we get here..... The answer is; we kept overlooking. I loathe the desensitization and polarization of today's society.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Timeline

OP stated she knew spouse got LPR. I asked how (yes, it piqued my interest). The answer that came out was: "hearsay". But scores of members have commented: VAWA must be changed, ex-husband should be pursued for pedophilia - when there was no reasonable proof of anything in the topic (?)

Filed: Timeline

I agree. And facts are important

IF... I use the term loosely... If he indeed went the VAWA route. No one outside of USCIS/ICE etc.... will see details. Part of the protection of VAWA.

Infopass will prove to be fruitless, time consuming, and aggravating.

Should the OP want to follow up in any capacity, it would be to go back to the agency she had to give a statement to in the beginning and give her most recent side of the story. Again, who knows after that. Maybe a secret society meeting happens and they take another look. There is no Standard Operating Procedure here. So the ability to cite procedures is speculative at best.

Maybe no one else really gives a hoot?? I bet if it happens to someone else, then they would have a slightly different outlook.

"OMG this happened to mecrying.gif."

However, every time we as a society allow an injustice to go by without even raising a concern, then we just set ourselves up for something a little lower to happen. Eventually, we look up and wonder how did we get here..... The answer is; we kept overlooking. I loathe the desensitization and polarization of today's society.

SD, could we not say the same as you with the "reasonable proof" comment?!

OP stated she knew spouse got LPR. I asked how (yes, it piqued my interest). The answer that came out was: "hearsay". But scores of members have commented: VAWA must be changed, ex-husband should be pursued for pedophilia - when there was no reasonable proof of anything in the topic (?)

Anyways OP as I said before you go after him if you feel the need to clear your name, I think what you're doing is amazing and shows you're not prepared to just sit back and let someone get away with slandering you, may be if more people were like you, other making false claims wouldn't get away with it. Keep us updated with how you're doing, you might just be the one person that actually helps tip the scales on the fraudulent VAWA claims. Good Luck :thumbs:

The OP stated she had evidence that he had been grooming a minor. Other members merely stated that she should do something about it as it's not an immigration issue, it's a criminal issue to be investigated by the relevant authorities.

I commented that VAWA must be changed in order to better tighten up the loopholes that allow fraudsters to take advantage of the process. I did however note that it would be difficult to do in practice as it would close avenues to genuine VAWA applicants.

The OP never stated that she knew he got LPR, she just hypothesized that VAWA was the only possible way he could have adjusted without her. She also mentioned that others in the local Nigerian community had told her this. Not at any time did she say this had been confirmed to her by any official agency as she would not be party to their decision making process.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

"I then find out thru someone that he was given a greencard!!"

I really-really need your advice, OP, on how to find out LPR status of spouse. Help?

I actually found out cuz he was spilling the beans to someone that he did not know knew me. Other than that, they protect the rights of these fraudsters, so it is very hard to know.

Timeline

No offense but whether her husband is from Nigeria or not, is not (at least to me) an issue. I have been to Nigeria many times and met some lovely Nigerian men and women, so before you say I know nothing of the culture you are wrong. Any person that scams their US Spouse should be removed and if they have filed a false VAWA and been granted a GC they should be stripped of it and removed from the US.

I totally get how the US Citizen feels in wanting to clear her name, if it had happened to me I would want to do the same. You're right I have not read her other posts, I am however commenting on this one and that's all there is to it.

OP if you feel you need to fight to clear your name go for it, otherwise chalk it up as a bad experience and lesson learned. All the best OP and good luck with the future :)

And to add to that, Im not making it out to be a Nigerian thing as well. If the guy had scammed me for a GC and left, then I probably wud just let it go...BUT becuz I know for a fact now that he has ran my name thru the mud to do it, thats where I am totally pissed off.

Glad someone else agreed with me. The problem is that VAWA doesn't contact the accused. The policy is definitely needed in society, but policy makers need to re-visit and ask questions about such concerns and how to rectify.

But we all know that issues like immigration, VAWA, etc...... are not going to take precedence over REAL issues that threaten America like Romney's tax returns and Obama's birth certificate. whistling.gif

SAD, but true. :thumbs:

Timeline

First thanks for being brave enough to share even when you know you are going to be kicked about by the Nigerians can do no wrong crowd.

In many Nigerian communities will assume you somehow tricked the system to get here. Even my husband has had a couple ask him "when will you be moving out because I know someone back home " when that isn't in his plans. Because there are so few that will win the DV lottery or really qualify for it and there is almost no other path to the US unless you are rich there , the internet is seen as a godsend of people ( usually woman ) more than willing to fall in love and fund the whole trip. Even though you have come forward , no one here that will be in your shoes in a year will see the signs in their relationships because there are so smitten by love they can't see straight. My husband thinks some are under the spell of native majic. Once in the hands of their respective Nigerian communitity here they are will cared for. Their people will go to all lengths to make sure they stay. I am certain he had statements from others about the bad acts you did and how you left him helpless on the streets to support his VAWA claim. If you have proof he is trolling for minors do report him. Reporting to the immedate childs parents will only make him find others , although he is probably after many already.

Every case like this is another reason Lagos is hell for legimate couples yet not hard enough to really rule out the fraud. The process is truely broken and not improving.

Obviously you know EXACTLY what I mean about the Nigerian community. And this is not a put down to those legitimate Nigerians in the US. Cause as anyone knows, who has read my posts, I am married to a Nigerian and living with him here in Ghana (for now). So this is not about Nigerians in general. But it is hitting the nail on the head when you say he has had all those "in the community" write letters to try to back his allegations. And it is just a shame that there is not a clause or something that will allow under certain situations for the "offender" to be questioned or at least present their own evidence. Its a damn shame and can you imagine how many times this must have happened? It's scary

It's extremely difficult for a guy to get approved for vawa without concrete evidence. I'm sure he must have presented "damaging" stuff about you to get his case approved despite whatever was in his file. I hope you never sent him texts messages threatening not to adjust his status or even have him deported when you guys had arguments...

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Timeline

To fight or not to fight?

It is well established that, once a GC... [almost] always a GC. There was a poster here that cleverly stated it is amazing that we have been desensitized and we just let things happen like that [paraphrasing]. I agree and it is just horrible!

You're divorced, fantastic. So yes, move on emotionally.

That said, I am waiting for that one brave scam victim- and if there's one please by all means let us know- that've said: "you know what, you got your GC; you lied about me and our relationship. You used me and on top of that accused me unjustifiably. Fo**k that #######! I will fight for all of those who have been wronged."

Why is it that these shenanigans can get a "lawyer" friend to coach them and the scam victims can't get a "lawyer" friend to counter claim this $*hit? :angry:

Why is it that once these shenanigans have a GC or have become a citizen and the victim just sits tights counting the money they lost?

I say enough is enough! Someone needs to bring this people to justice. They want to stay? sure, but you need to give me my money back, for example.

Everyone has the right to sue for defamation, or distress and mental anguish; for harassment or hostile environment; for [fill in the blank]. Let's serve those idiots and see where it leads.

I know there was a case in Florida of a Cuban man that scammed a lady up to his name. She sued and accused him of rape. Well, the claim said, if you marry someone you claim to know completely and suddenly even his/her name is a lie, that person- who consummated the marriage- may feel violated. Now I don't know how this will affect scamming for immigration purposes, but hey, the point is the lady fought and won.

I think there's a network help scam victims in civil court, please advice.

Thank you and good luck!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Timeline

If there is any evidence, she should certainly put it forward.

evidence of him talking sexually and trying to hookup with the minor? lol. I have a whole transcript, and even screen shot pictures of it all. I could share if you all want to see what a piece of dirt he is? lol.

evidence of him talking sexually and trying to hookup with the minor? lol. I have a whole transcript, and even screen shot pictures of it all. I could share if you all want to see what a piece of dirt he is? lol.

I wouldn't compromise the value of the evidence by posting it on a public forum. I would just give it to the police for them to take action.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not a VAWA issue, but certainly something the local Police may be interested in.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.