Shari

K2 18 YO UK step-son ran off w/17 YO US girl . . . .

149 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
if you are thinking of calling the Police please make sure he knows it was done with the intention of beign reassured about his safety and not to get him into trouble as that will only alienate him more.

I agree and this is my concern is his safety. He is penniless and without any ID on him. He needs to let them know he is safe and have a contact number and address of his whereabouts and at least an itinerary of when he was coming home. As a parent we want our kids safe and to know that we can contact them if necessary.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
if you are thinking of calling the Police please make sure he knows it was done with the intention of beign reassured about his safety and not to get him into trouble as that will only alienate him more.

I agree and this is my concern is his safety. He is penniless and without any ID on him. He needs to let them know he is safe and have a contact number and address of his whereabouts and at least an itinerary of when he was coming home. As a parent we want our kids safe and to know that we can contact them if necessary.

I agree 100 percent.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:goofy: Thank you so much EVERYONE for your comments, and Perfect, thank you for the time you put into your post and the PM you sent. I will re-read it again when I get home from work. Emotions have run up and down in the past few days, but I think we will be calm when he does come home and lay out the law after having, hopefully, a meaningful conversation.

By the way Mary and Pink_Roses, where in Alabama are you two? :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline
:goofy:UPDATE: Daryl just called his dad (4:30 p.m.). The gist of the conversation was he was "having a fabulous time" and they are "taking walks and talking alot" and "I will see you in a couple of days". Keith did not ask any questions or make any comments. He thought if he starting speaking he would probably say more than he wanted on the phone and maybe drive Daryl away. Funny though, Daryl called and had his number blocked; smart girl teaching him how to do that. :angry: Anyhow, Keith feels better knowing Daryl is okay, so I guess Thursday is the big day! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Shari,

That is great news and a relief to you both. Now you can breath some easier and maybe Keith can get some sleep. I feel better and will continue to remember all of you in thoughts and prayers.

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

It's great that at least you know he is safe. And he probably has no idea of how he made you feel! It sounds as though he feels like he has found a new reason to be positive and upbeat and perhaps has found a sense of belonging he didn't feel before, and that's a good thing. You may find that he becomes more communicative simply because he feels as though he wasgiven his freedom, without you over-reacting directly to his face and laying down the law with no possibility of negotiation.

I guess you just need to go with the flow however long it lasts and be interested in his newfound reason for being happy and be there to support him in whatever way he needs until he learns he can fully trust in you and his new family arrangement.

You never know, when all said and done, maybe she will turn out to be good for him if you can open a two-way dialogue in the future, perhaps when they both realize you just have their best interests at heart and are not out to simply make onerus rules and be restrictive for no good reason.

Wishing all of you the very best!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

Of course you're worried. He is 18. Many 18 year olds can handle responsibility. Most need to be taught how to be responsible. He's 18 and self-centred. Not unusual. He's thinking about himself, not anyone else. He'll come back, where else can he go?

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Timeline

Glad to see that you have heard from your step-son. :D

Shows that he does care what you two think about him. So thats nice to see.

Perfect may be right. This girl may be just what he needs right now to fit in. Hopefully she is a nice young lady.

I live on the Georgia/Alabama line. I live in Valley, Alabama. West Point, Georgia is on the other side of us.

Were an hour away from Montgomery. Or if you going towards Atlanta. An hour from the airport.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

I am really glad you heard from him Shari. At least you and Keith can discuss how you are going to deal with this...intial anger always subsides to worry as time goes by....try to get across how worried you were at not being able to contact him at all.

Look forward to the update on the home coming!!

:thumbs:(F)

Filed: Timeline

So Glad you have heard from him... I remember how utterly frustrated I felt when my son was missing... so to know he is ok is good... I hope you both are able to relax a little before he comes home on thursday...

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Kezzie

Filed: Timeline

Hi

As a mother of a k2 who has returned home, i would just be glad if my son was here in the states. Sadly for us, although to us these are children, in fact they think they are making adult decisions, and if we try to temper it with our wisdom, they dont appreciate it too much.

My thought would be, this young man has many opportunities here, he is at least seeing parts of the USA. My son refused to move from the PC, TV or couch, wailed that he had no friends here, and insisted he was making the right choice to go back. Now if your step-son decided to stay he has every chance of fitting in to life here, but it may take some time. The feeling of being an alien, is a very real one. Not fitting in, finding many new and strange things is quite disturbing even for me, who has already migrated to a new country once before.

An adult conversation of how things are going to improve once he has all the papers, and has settled in may help this lad more than a 'punishment' that serves to reinforce the idea that his family has no understanding of the upheaval moving to a new country entails, let alone the passing from child to manhood.

I wish you all the best, I know how hard being a parent is...

Mother of 4, with 4 beautiful grandchildren

Julie

July 5, 2005 Married Las Vegas

AOS Process

Aug 5, 2005 AOS Sent as K2 Teenage Son arrived on August 6

NOA 1 arrived dated Aug 12, 2005 number on it differs by 1 digit from that on reverse of check so USCIS site now reflects the process

K2 needs EAD before SSN number will be assigned

Touched August 24 2005

Biometrics Appt letter arrives April 24 2006

Transfer to CSCE notified by email May 26 2006

Touched May 27 2006 then 6/7/8/9th June

Biometrics 2nd Appt for June 23

Welcome letter Mailed June 13 notified by email, arrives June 17 2006

Biometrics for Photo June 23

Touched June 23

June 24 Email from CRIS - Your card will be mailed as soon as it is ready

June 27 touched

June 28 Email your application was approved June 28

June 29 2006 Touched

GREENCARD

July 21 2006, Neighbour brought letter. Green Card 06/08/2006 no errors on it, was delivered to wrong mailbox, so I cancelled infopass for July 24 in Miami

USCIS and I have a date Mar 10 2008 to mail I-751

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Shari

That's good news, at least you know he's ok and will see him soon. :)

Amanda

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

I'm sure he will be back after he runs out of money.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

:goofy:

I'm sure he will be back after he runs out of money.

Well he had NO money, and I do mean NO money, not a cent on him. No money to eat, drink, smoke, etc., so she is having to pay for everything (including that gas from Tennessee to Alabama and back).

And we have not heard anything else from him. Tuesday he said he would see his dad in a "couple of days", but a "couple" might not literally mean 2 days to him. I kinda expect him today, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Thanks all for checking in. I will post when we know anything else. :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS: