Shari

K2 18 YO UK step-son ran off w/17 YO US girl . . . .

149 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Did you come to a foreign country at the age of 18?

This is not an American 18 year old, he is British.

Some parents actually care about their kids for their entire lives. I sincerely hope that Shari and her husband help Daryl realise that he is loved and wanted and that they do care about his future here. Good parents do worry about their children, not just kick them to the kerb when they reach the age of 18.

Edited by Girona40

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a parent is a really hard job - you dont get a manual - you have to tailor everything to the child involved and play things by ear.

We don't eject babies into the wold knowing exactly what to do with them in any given situation.

What we DO do is try and keep them as safe as we can, and teach them values, one of which is respect.

You can't keep them kids forever but you can damn well make sure they know about respecting others when they start to spread their wings.

All we can do is teach and hope it sticks.

I think Shari and her hubby are being really cool after the horible week + they had and very restrained in their reactions. The restrained (yet still disapointed but forgiving) part will teach Daryl more about respect than any lecture Im sure. And of course there are consequences he has to bear - thats all part of being an adult, growing up and becoming a decent person.

Good on ya Shari (F)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Did you come to a foreign country at the age of 18?

This is not an American 18 year old, he is British.

Some parents actually care about their kids for their entire lives. I sincerely hope that Shari and her husband help Daryl realise that he is loved and wanted and that they do care about his future here. Good parents do worry about their children, not just kick them to the kerb when they reach the age of 18.

I agree :yes:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:goofy:UPDATE: When I got home last night, Daryl was waiting for me outside near the back door in the 40 degree temperatures. As soon as he saw me he asked "can I talk to you?". I could tell he was very nervous. I said "Just a second" and put my purse down on the outdoor table and then gave him a big hug to which he reciprocated nicely. He said he was very sorry for putting us through what he did last night, that he didn't "think", and that he promised it wouldn't happen again. I told him I was a teenager too at one time, but that we were worried. I told him that the night in the car when we picked him up I didn't speak to him because all the past week's events hit me as soon as he got into the car and I just got very upset and couldn't even speak. I told him I didn't want him to think that I wasn't going to ever speak or that I hold grudges, because that is one thing I do not do. I told him I had already talked to his dad yesterday and told Keith I was going to break the ice with him and talk because I didn't want Daryl to think I was avoiding him. So everything is fine in that regard.

But around 12:15 a.m. the phone rang three times. I was obvoiusly sound asleep. So by the time I jumped up and got it, the caller hung up. But quess who it was . . . the girlfriend from Tennessee. They haven't spoken since as Daryl was only allowed to call his family since he's been back. But because I put "annonymous call block" on the phone (didn't know I had it last week), she couldn't get through with blocking her number any more and now we have the name (her mom's) and number she was calling from for future reference (if we need it). Anyhow. I don't know if it was a "hint" call for Daryl to call her or not. We'll see if she tries any during the day today. :goofy:

Thanks everyone. Maybe I won't have to post any more on this thread. Maybe we will have smooth sailing from this point on. We can hope! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline
:goofy:UPDATE: When I got home last night, Daryl was waiting for me outside near the back door in the 40 degree temperatures. As soon as he saw me he asked "can I talk to you?". I could tell he was very nervous. I said "Just a second" and put my purse down on the outdoor table and then gave him a big hug to which he reciprocated nicely. He said he was very sorry for putting us through what he did last night, that he didn't "think", and that he promised it wouldn't happen again. I told him I was a teenager too at one time, but that we were worried. I told him that the night in the car when we picked him up I didn't speak to him because all the past week's events hit me as soon as he got into the car and I just got very upset and couldn't even speak. I told him I didn't want him to think that I wasn't going to ever speak or that I hold grudges, because that is one thing I do not do. I told him I had already talked to his dad yesterday and told Keith I was going to break the ice with him and talk because I didn't want Daryl to think I was avoiding him. So everything is fine in that regard.

But around 12:15 a.m. the phone rang three times. I was obvoiusly sound asleep. So by the time I jumped up and got it, the caller hung up. But quess who it was . . . the girlfriend from Tennessee. They haven't spoken since as Daryl was only allowed to call his family since he's been back. But because I put "annonymous call block" on the phone (didn't know I had it last week), she couldn't get through with blocking her number any more and now we have the name (her mom's) and number she was calling from for future reference (if we need it). Anyhow. I don't know if it was a "hint" call for Daryl to call her or not. We'll see if she tries any during the day today. :goofy:

Thanks everyone. Maybe I won't have to post any more on this thread. Maybe we will have smooth sailing from this point on. We can hope! :goofy:

Thanks Shari for the update - a tear came to my eye as I read it. I know teenagers are hard at times, but he has to be given some credit for asking to talk. I am so glad that you put your bag down and hugged him - he will remember that in times to come and he will learn from the whole experience.

Does Daryl have a phone in his room? Was he aware that she called last night? She may just be concerned that he is alright - not knowing what good people you are - and how it all went when he got home. Put it this way, if they weren't prepared to drive him home I doubt they will come and pick him up again in a hurry. Maybe Daryl should speak to her and ask her to stop calling late at night. She will get bored with it all soon..............they usually do, and everything will get back to normal.

He knows now how upset you were by what happened and obviously appreciates the way you guys have been so nice about everything. Boys that age think deeper than we realise at times. I have been through it and am going through it now with my youngest boy. When I hear my kids talk about me and my husband to their friends they say "My parents are so cool". They even agree now that the way we handled things was totally right - they just couldn't see it at the time, being teenagers!

You did a good job Shari - oh the joys of teenagers!

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks for the update Shari and hope things continue smoothly. It sounds like everyone is taking the time to talk and get to understand each others feelings. Teens are never easy to deal with and wanted to say that I think you did a great job.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

PWNED!!

what does that mean????? haha

I am praying for you... it is tough being a parent... handle him with love and consistency... and understanding of how it is to be a teenager in today's society... it is quite different from when I was a teen... so I tend to talk to my son a lot about things... even when he doesn't feel like talking, i just let him know that I am here. Of course, my son is 14... not 18. Wishing that it all works out for the best for both of you!

Lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: Other Timeline

Sounds like he realizes what he has done. That's a very good start.

And yeah, you can't hold grudges. Especially with kids. Could actually, if things continue to improve, be the start of real communication, you know?

Keep us posted and we'll keep up the positive mothering reinforcement!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
What a mess. I'm beginning to wonder if you might find the services of an investigator to be useful. Do you have any lawyer friends? Lawyers usually know the local process servers and investigators, and you might be surprised that they don't always charge as much as you think. This would be one way to have him 'picked up' without having the authorities involved. I would only take this tactic though if the investigator had a good reputation. We have one in our town who used to be a state trooper - he does everything by the book, breaks no laws.

Daryl may be a legal adult, but as an applicant to adjust status, he may be under under the auspices of the US government at the moment (where are our 'legal expert posters' when we need them).

And what I don't like about this, most of all, is the girl. I doubt she is 'good' for him. She's a sneak. As the mother of a son, I have to say that when I finally laid eyes on her, I'd be asking her if she enjoyed her 18th birthday - because if she pulled that again she might not live to see her 19th. *steams*

hear hear rebecca!!!

My son is 14... and i tell him that if he lies to me, then that leaves me no area to trust him. geesh, having teens is havoc on ya!

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Timeline

Just curious, Shari, how things are going. I hope that life is slowly getting back to normal and that you haven't had too many problems since.

Thinking of you.

G

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad to see things are getting back to normal for you Shari.......... :yes:

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

• 1 month later...

???? i hope well !

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

I hope so too

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.