Lornaevo

GC holder being deployed?

8 posts in this topic

Ok, so I was just approved for my 2 Year Conditional GC based on marriage to my USC spouse. Now I know as a GC holder you're not supposed to stay out of the country for more than 6 months, however I would like to join the navy. How would this affect my 6 months out of the country if I'm deployed?

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Ok, so I was just approved for my 2 Year Conditional GC based on marriage to my USC spouse. Now I know as a GC holder you're not supposed to stay out of the country for more than 6 months, however I would like to join the navy. How would this affect my 6 months out of the country if I'm deployed?

It will not affect your timeline for purposes of maintaining residence or applying for citizenship. You will be ok in that regards.

On a personal note, thank you for considering serving our country.

Here is a link to Military service & immigration: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=f1a03e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=f1a03e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

It will not affect your timeline for purposes of maintaining residence or applying for citizenship. You will be ok in that regards.

On a personal note, thank you for considering serving our country.

I've always wanted to serve this country I call home. I will defend this nation with my dying breath if I am ask to do so.

So if deployed I can stay out of the country for more than 6 months without affecting my GC?

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've always wanted to serve this country I call home. I will defend this nation with my dying breath if I am ask to do so.

So if deployed I can stay out of the country for more than 6 months without affecting my GC?

No your time in the military is considered as if you were residing in the US. That is one of the benefits of being in the military.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Yes you can and it will not affect your status in regards to physical presence.

Here is a snippet from the website the link of which I post-posted above:

Qualifications

A member of the U.S. armed forces must meet the requirements and qualifications to become a citizen of the United States. He or she must demonstrate:

• Good moral character
  • Knowledge of the English language
  • Knowledge of U.S. government and history (civics), and
  • Attachment to the United States by taking an Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution

Qualified members of the U.S. armed forces are exempt from other naturalization requirements, including residence and physical presence in the United States. These exceptions are listed in Sections 328 and 329 of the INA.

All aspects of the naturalization process, including applications, interviews and ceremonies are available overseas to members of the U.S. armed forces and certain “command-sponsored” spouses.

A person who obtains U.S. citizenship through his or her military service and separates from the military under “other than honorable conditions” before completing five years of honorable service may have his or her citizenship revoked.

Here are the Sections mentioned above:

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-10031.html

http://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-10086.html

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,Just to share my thoughts on your question.Firstly, I do not understand how one can be a of a different citizenship and be a member of the US armed forces.will that not be divided loyalty.I am thinking that by the time you graduate from millitry school you will graduate as a US citizen.Someone can correct me if I am wrong though.THANKS

Filed: Timeline

Hello,Just to share my thoughts on your question.Firstly, I do not understand how one can be a of a different citizenship and be a member of the US armed forces.will that not be divided loyalty.I am thinking that by the time you graduate from millitry school you will graduate as a US citizen.Someone can correct me if I am wrong though.THANKS

You're wrong. You can be in the US military while being an LPR (you live here!!!) and have a different citizenship. Thi is the country you choose to live in. You DO NOT graduate as a US citizen, I never heard that before. They military will ell you with your naturalization (paperwork etc.) but you won't be able to just get your citizenship because you joined. Than everybody would join for a few years ...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.