codythecolt

Birth Certificate Problem

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, i've been searching the forum and i've found a few similar problems to this one, but I thought I would go ahead and post this just to be certain about a few things.

So the problem is, my fiance just got her birth certificate. And she compared it to her brothers and sisters certificates. And she noticed that the middle name and maiden name of the mother was spelled wrong, each by 1 letter. The maiden name on her siblings bc's say Disucatan, but on my fiances it says desucatan. "note both parents died a long time ago, my fiance never even knew them passed her 2nd b-day".

So my fiances middle name is also the maiden name of her mother.... so it's also wrong, but it's still a nso bc so even tho it was filled out wrong at her birth, would desucatan be her registered name?

She was planning to apply for a passport soon, but we're both worried what would happen, since the mothers maiden name is spelled wrong on her bc ... what should she do guys? please advise :)

Timeline

Hey guys, i've been searching the forum and i've found a few similar problems to this one, but I thought I would go ahead and post this just to be certain about a few things.

So the problem is, my fiance just got her birth certificate. And she compared it to her brothers and sisters certificates. And she noticed that the middle name and maiden name of the mother was spelled wrong, each by 1 letter. The maiden name on her siblings bc's say Disucatan, but on my fiances it says desucatan. "note both parents died a long time ago, my fiance never even knew them passed her 2nd b-day".

So my fiances middle name is also the maiden name of her mother.... so it's also wrong, but it's still a nso bc so even tho it was filled out wrong at her birth, would desucatan be her registered name?

She was planning to apply for a passport soon, but we're both worried what would happen, since the mothers maiden name is spelled wrong on her bc ... what should she do guys? please advise :)

Mine was incorrect too before, go and correct her maiden name before she proceed to the next step because she will gonna use her maiden name in any application like in NBI and passport and besides in K-1 application she needs to write her mother's name and maiden name.. Anyway it takes 1 to 2 wks processing... goodluck !!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just go with the birth certificate cause it is what the nbi, and passport authority will follow, but if you decide to change it it is ok too but takes 2-6 to be approved! I have the same thing mine is dela serna, my 2 sibling were dela cerna...I am using the s one cause it is what is in the bc..But you can have an attorney to give you a certification that same person is the one in the b.c and your fiance...

Timeline

I see!, so it sounds like it's not too big of deal that the maiden name is wrong? So on the passport app, she should put the maiden name from her bc on the passport app... even tho it's incorrect, we'll still be ok? haha sorry

I see!, so it sounds like it's not too big of deal that the maiden name is wrong? So on the passport app, she should put the maiden name from her bc on the passport app... even tho it's incorrect, we'll still be ok? haha sorry

All detail/info in her in her documents should be the same as her BC. so even her maiden name is incorrect

she will just follow or use it on her documents instead to avoid problems..

Our Time Line
---------------------------
CR-1/CR-2

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

Timeline

Just go with the birth certificate cause it is what the nbi, and passport authority will follow, but if you decide to change it it is ok too but takes 2-6 to be approved! I have the same thing mine is dela serna, my 2 sibling were dela cerna...I am using the s one cause it is what is in the bc..But you can have an attorney to give you a certification that same person is the one in the b.c and your fiance...

But won't they check the database for the mothers maiden name or something? Hmm ok, we might look into getting a certification of proof its the same person, I suppose i'll tell her to go ahead and apply for the passport? So we're good to go?..

Timeline

Go with what is on the B.C. My wife's is wrong too. Not a huge deal, it seems. If she WANTS to get it changed, I think that takes a while to do.

Ok, she's gonna start the process of getting a passport now... fingers crossed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi codythecolt,

I just want to advice based from my experience when I applied my passport last April of this year. Am not sure if your fiancee has her local birth certificate already because if she has, let her check the two (NSO and local birth certificate)if her middle name and mother's maiden name are just reconciled. I mean, the same spelling for "Desucatan" that is in your local birth. I suggested this, because I really encounter problem before, when I apply my passport the first time last April of this year. It's because of ineligibility issue of my NSO birth that the guy in-charge wanted me to secure a local birth certificate and have it authenticated at the NSO before I go back there, at the DFA office. My agony started when I went to NSO office and my request for authentication of my local birth was being rejected due to inconsistency of my mother's name spelling of only one letter when they verified it against their file. My local birth bears the correct spelling of her name which she used and so with my school records that's why I prefer to have my NSO birth be corrected. So, we apply for a correction of entry in our local registrar and pay 1,000.00 for the charge.

And in your fiancee's case, I think she can just use the incorrect spelling of her mother without having a problem at the DFA if it's only reconciled against her local BC, since her mother is deceased already. Anyway, they won't require your fiancee to present her mother's birth certificate. Actually, they only require the NSO birth certificate and they will just ask for a local birth with NSO authentication if it's not readable. :):)

Good luck!!!

Timeline

Hi codythecolt,

I just want to advice based from my experience when I applied my passport last April of this year. Am not sure if your fiancee has her local birth certificate already because if she has, let her check the two (NSO and local birth certificate)if her middle name and mother's maiden name are just reconciled. I mean, the same spelling for "Desucatan" that is in your local birth. I suggested this, because I really encounter problem before, when I apply my passport the first time last April of this year. It's because of ineligibility issue of my NSO birth that the guy in-charge wanted me to secure a local birth certificate and have it authenticated at the NSO before I go back there, at the DFA office. My agony started when I went to NSO office and my request for authentication of my local birth was being rejected due to inconsistency of my mother's name spelling of only one letter when they verified it against their file. My local birth bears the correct spelling of her name which she used and so with my school records that's why I prefer to have my NSO birth be corrected. So, we apply for a correction of entry in our local registrar and pay 1,000.00 for the charge.

And in your fiancee's case, I think she can just use the incorrect spelling of her mother without having a problem at the DFA if it's only reconciled against her local BC, since her mother is deceased already. Anyway, they won't require your fiancee to present her mother's birth certificate. Actually, they only require the NSO birth certificate and they will just ask for a local birth with NSO authentication if it's not readable. :):)

Good luck!!!

Wow! thanks so much for your reply, we'll work on getting a certificate from her place of birth, she lives in manila but she was born in baler, we will work on getting that local bc :) thanks so much!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wow! thanks so much for your reply, we'll work on getting a certificate from her place of birth, she lives in manila but she was born in baler, we will work on getting that local bc :) thanks so much!

You're welcome! Good luck and God bless...:)

here is the latest news

MANILA, Philippines - President Aquino signed the new law extending the power of local civil registrars to correct errors in birth certificates without any court order.

Correcting errors in date of birth and gender in birth certificates no longer needs court approval.

Republic Act 10172, which was signed by the President last Aug. 19, amended several provisions of Republic Act 9048.

It extended the coverage of exemptions to requirement of judicial approval for correction on entries in the birth certificate.

Under the new law, the city or municipal registrar may correct clerical or typographical errors in the day and month of date of birth or gender without a court order.

The previous law did not include the entries on date of birth and gender among the exemptions on court approval requirement and only specified entries on first name and nickname in the civil register.

Apart from this, the new law also specified where the fees for corrections in the birth certificate should go.

“The fees collected by the city or municipal civil registrar or consul general pursuant to this Act shall accrue to the funds of the Local Civil Registry Office concerned or the Office of the Consul General for modernization of the office and hiring of new personnel and procurement of supplies, subject to government accounting and auditing rules,” read Section 8 of RA 10172.

The new law is a consolidation of Senate Bill 3113 and House Bill 4530 that Congress passed last May 30 and June 5, respectively.

Our Time Line
CR-1/CR-2

USCIS Stage: (13 DAYS)
Apr 15, 2012 - Filed I-130 ($420 x2)
Apr 19, 2012 - NOA-1
May 2, 2012 - NOA-2

NVC STAGE: (56 DAYS)
05/21/12 - Case finally entered into NVC system
05/25/12 - Received case #, IIN, and BIN, gave e-mail addresses, sent optin e-mail
05/25/12 - Received info package and AOS bill e-mails from NVC
05/25/12 - AOS bill invoiced & paid ($88)
05/29/12 - AOS bill appears as PAID
06/01/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & PAID ($230 x2)
06/04/12 - IV Bill Shows PAID
06/15/12 - AOS & IV Packages sent
07/02/12 - RFE email received
07/06/12 - Sent NSO copy of MC and BC
07/16/12 - Case Complete (2nd Wedding Anniversary)
08/01/12 - Interview Date Assigned -->>>>(Sept.5, 2012@ 6:15am)

Medical/CFO / Consulate / POE:
08/29/2012-------- Medical Exam: PASSED
08/30/2012 ---------Advance CFO @SMEF-COW
09/05/2012-------- Interview: VISA APPROVED!!!!

09/11/2012 ------- VISA RECEIVED!
10/02/2012 -------- POE = Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome to Hawaii

10/18/2012 - received 10yr. GC & SSN#

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Even if you go to the local civil registrar, they still have to file it with NSO. If you have a good local civil registrar, it may be quick, but when we needed it done, it took about 10 months. After going to the civil registrar several times and paying each time, we finally went straight to the NSO. They called the civil registrar and came back and said they had everything to give us a corrected copy, but we still owed 500 pesos more to the civil registrar that we had to pay the guy at NSO before we got the corrected copy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.