golem216

Report of Marriage - Name on Marriage Certificate Different from Form

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, golem216 said:

I checked the Report of Marriage document. It only has my wife's maiden name on it, not the married name. I believe we sent in the marriage certificate, which would have had the non-Philippines naming convention. I believe that the Philippines likely just followed their naming convention when reporting the marriage on their side. Since we didn't have any issues with that or the Passport renewal, which uses the Philippines naming convention by law, so I would expect that you should be fine.

We have been waiting to change the middle name until the naturalization process since it's free as part of that, we just need to have a judge officiating the ceremony, otherwise do to as part of the Green Card, there is an additional fee and can't be part of a the renewal of the green card and I think would cost the same, so basically double payment.

We filed for naturalization back in February and am still waiting for the next step of interview, which I imagine will be taking much longer than expected due to all the immigration changes from the current administration. Although, someone we know from California filed around the same time as us and they actually completed everything about one month ago and is already a citizen. I'm hoping it doesn't take 1 year like it did for the AOS process for us.

Anyway, good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine. Don't stress over it too much.

thnk u so much 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, golem216 said:

I checked the Report of Marriage document. It only has my wife's maiden name on it, not the married name. I believe we sent in the marriage certificate, which would have had the non-Philippines naming convention. I believe that the Philippines likely just followed their naming convention when reporting the marriage on their side. Since we didn't have any issues with that or the Passport renewal, which uses the Philippines naming convention by law, so I would expect that you should be fine.

We have been waiting to change the middle name until the naturalization process since it's free as part of that, we just need to have a judge officiating the ceremony, otherwise do to as part of the Green Card, there is an additional fee and can't be part of a the renewal of the green card and I think would cost the same, so basically double payment.

We filed for naturalization back in February and am still waiting for the next step of interview, which I imagine will be taking much longer than expected due to all the immigration changes from the current administration. Although, someone we know from California filed around the same time as us and they actually completed everything about one month ago and is already a citizen. I'm hoping it doesn't take 1 year like it did for the AOS process for us.

Anyway, good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine. Don't stress over it too much.

Correct, the ROM document does not ask for the married name, by virtue of the marriage it would be the traditional name for the Philippine;  Her GIVEN name, her PREVIOUS SURNAME as her middle name, and the husband's SURNAME as her new last name.

For passport renewal you would present the BC, the PSA marriage certificate and old passport.  (at the consulates in the USA I think they ask for a copy of the green card also).  After naturalization to get a Philippine passport it is the joy of Dual Citizenship processing.

The changes with Naturalization started BEFORE the election. ;)    Naturalization was taking 4-6 months before the flaw in the background checks was discovered, after that it jumped to 6-12 months.    Our friends in AZ filed end of last year and were done very quickly also, maybe 5 months .. I was surprised.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.