golem216

Report of Marriage - Name on Marriage Certificate Different from Form

17 posts in this topic

Today I discovered a problem with my wife's married name.

Her maiden name is [first name] [her mother's maiden name] [her father's surname]. Her married name is now [first name] [her mother's maiden name] [my surname].

I was not aware that if amending or renewing a passport to the married name that her name should be [first name] [her father's surname] [my surname].

I have read about using marriage certificate and/or Affidavit of One and the Same Person if traveling to show proof of legal names.

When she becomes a US citizen, she also wants to keep her Philippines citizenship and have dual citizenship.

We are looking into doing a Report of Marriage and have a question. Since the name on the marriage certificate does not follow the naming standard required by the Philippines, should I put this for her name on that form or should I put the Philippines standard married name? Since the Philippines Passport would require the Philippines standard name, does the name on the report of marriage need to match with the one used when amending/renewing the Philippines passport?

I would like to avoid going through the name change process and fees if we can avoid it until she gains US citizenship and the hassle of updating everything.

Another question is if we did not report the marriage and renewed the Philippines passport with her maiden name, would this cause any problems with dual citizenship with the Philippines?

I am thinking I may just need to contact my local Philippines Consulate to get all the answers I need.

I appreciate any help in solving this riddle. Thank you in advance!

I was not aware that if amending or renewing a passport to the married name that her name should be [first name] [her father's surname] [my surname].

^^^ I didn't know that either. Can you link me to where you got that information?

We are looking into doing a Report of Marriage and have a question. Since the name on the marriage certificate does not follow the naming standard required by the Philippines, should I put this for her name on that form or should I put the Philippines standard married name?

^^^ I think she should figure out a way to use the same name on everything.

Since the Philippines Passport would require the Philippines standard name, does the name on the report of marriage need to match with the one used when amending/renewing the Philippines passport?

^^^ I don't know, but I imagine it does. You can ask the Philippines Consulate about that. Or, maybe someone with experience will chime in.

Another question is if we did not report the marriage and renewed the Philippines passport with her maiden name, would this cause any problems with dual citizenship with the Philippines?

^^^ She will not be allowed to renew/amend her passport without reporting the marriage first.

I am thinking I may just need to contact my local Philippines Consulate to get all the answers I need.

^^^ Yup.

You should report the marriage with the same name that is on the marriage certificate. Naming conventions be damned. It's her name, she chose it, and that is the one the PI will recognize when you do your ROM.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

The Philippine Consulate will automatically use the Philippine standard for names. My children were born here in the states & we named them using the American standard for names. Hubby wanted it that way! I didn't mind, although I would have preferred to use the Philippine standard. When we applied for my sons' Phil passports, we were told that my maiden name will appear as their middle name. We didn't have a choice. The consulate were pretty adamant about it laughing.gif.

Dunno why they told you that. We did [first name] [maiden name] {my surname], and they were just fine with it.

This was the San Francisco consulate

Edited by DavenRoxy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

which 'entity' set her married name? Go back there, and get it fixed, first, before worrying about the rest of this stuff.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I was speaking to a couple yesterday that had renewed their passport at an outreach program that the consulate had yesterday. He had said that the passport name must be [first name] [maiden surname] [my surname]. He had said also, and I found other information saying so as well, that she could have "Mrs. [my full name]" on her passport as well.

http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/dear-pao/3886-no-law-requires-married-woman-to-use-husbands-surname-in-her-passport

From the link above, they state the following from the "Philippine Passport Act of 1996":

Article 370. A married woman may use:

1. Her maiden first name and surname and add her husband’s surname, or

2. Her maiden first name and her husband’s surname, or

3. Her husband’s full name, but prefixing a word indicating that she is his wife, such as “Mrs.” (emphasis supplied).

Based on this, if we can use the second option for her name on her passport, then we would have no problem in that regard. But, the article also states that since it says "may", it is more or less up to the discretion of the consulate.

Our AOS is currently processing with her current married name and we have already gone through name changes on the identification documents that she has.

My biggest concern at the moment is if putting her non-philippines standard married name on the report of marriage so that it matches the name on the marriage certificate. The question is then if I use her current name on the report of marriage, could there be a conflict when trying to amend/renew her passport?

She eventually plans on getting her citizenship after meeting the requirements and then we could do a name change without any fee. Otherwise, after getting the green card, a name change would require a fee of $450 plus fees and hassle of changing her name everywhere else.

Thank you for all of the response so far. They have been helpful.

Timeline

Dunno why they told you that. We did [first name] [maiden name] {my surname], and they were just fine with it.

This was the San Francisco consulate

If you were referring to my post. In my sons' birth certificates their [first name] [middle name] [hubby's surname] and on their Phil passport [first name + middle name] [my maiden name] [hubby's surname].

Edited by let-it-be

Timeline

I was speaking to a couple yesterday that had renewed their passport at an outreach program that the consulate had yesterday. He had said that the passport name must be [first name] [maiden surname] [my surname]. He had said also, and I found other information saying so as well, that she could have "Mrs. [my full name]" on her passport as well.

http://www.manilatim...in-her-passport

From the link above, they state the following from the "Philippine Passport Act of 1996":

Based on this, if we can use the second option for her name on her passport, then we would have no problem in that regard. But, the article also states that since it says "may", it is more or less up to the discretion of the consulate.

Our AOS is currently processing with her current married name and we have already gone through name changes on the identification documents that she has.

My biggest concern at the moment is if putting her non-philippines standard married name on the report of marriage so that it matches the name on the marriage certificate. The question is then if I use her current name on the report of marriage, could there be a conflict when trying to amend/renew her passport?

She eventually plans on getting her citizenship after meeting the requirements and then we could do a name change without any fee. Otherwise, after getting the green card, a name change would require a fee of $450 plus fees and hassle of changing her name everywhere else.

I don't think there will be any conflict if you use her current name on the Report of Marriage. They will follow what the Phil standard is for names on Philippine documents especially passports. Personally, i think in this way they can trace you back to your maiden name ( father's surname) like in the birth certificate document.

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/11/2012 at 10:54 PM, let-it-be said:

The Philippine Consulate will automatically use the Philippine standard for names. My children were born here in the states & we named them using the American standard for names. Hubby wanted it that way! I didn't mind, although I would have preferred to use the Philippine standard. When we applied for my sons' Phil passports, we were told that my maiden name will appear as their middle name. We didn't have a choice. The consulate were pretty adamant about it laughing.gif.

if that so did ur son have 2 names then like for example 1 name in philipine stabdard and other name in american standard ?  how much to change the names from middle name? coz my dillema is i used my middle name of my mom instead of the surname of dad and then my husband surname

Edited by Emmz

Timeline
On 8/12/2012 at 7:50 AM, golem216 said:

http://www.manilatimes.net/index.php/dear-pao/3886-no-law-requires-married-woman-to-use-husbands-surname-in-her-passport

hi just want to asked im in ur same situation too what happened in her new married name now? did it conflickt the philipine consulate wen u report marriage? 

1 hour ago, Emmz said:

hi just want to asked im in ur same situation too what happened in her new married name now? did it conflickt the philipine consulate wen u report marriage? 

I would need to double-check the paper work, but I think we reported her name using the Philippines naming convention. She also was able to get her passport renewed with that name as well. We have gone to the Philippines since then and we had no problems with the middle name being different as we omitted it from the plane tickets. We also borught along a copy of her birth certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate just in case, but neither were needed fortunately.

My wife is in the process of applying for citizenship and as part of that, she is changing her middle name to follow the Philippines naming convention, to avoid any potential issues in the future. Unfortunately, we will then need to update her middle name on any accounts and IDs that have her current one. I think it will make things easier when she eventually applies for dual citizenship and we eventually buy a townhome/condo at some point. A lot more to look into around that...

Timeline
1 hour ago, golem216 said:

I would need to double-check the paper work, but I think we reported her name using the Philippines naming convention. She also was able to get her passport renewed with that name as well. We have gone to the Philippines since then and we had no problems with the middle name being different as we omitted it from the plane tickets. We also borught along a copy of her birth certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate just in case, but neither were needed fortunately.

My wife is in the process of applying for citizenship and as part of that, she is changing her middle name to follow the Philippines naming convention, to avoid any potential issues in the future. Unfortunately, we will then need to update her middle name on any accounts and IDs that have her current one. I think it will make things easier when she eventually applies for dual citizenship and we eventually buy a townhome/condo at some point. A lot more to look into around that...

thanks for the info u gave im relieved now, so u will not change name by court ordered instead just wait for the naturalization so that u can change the middle name of ur wife ryt? did the philipine consulate didnt ask the middle name she used here in america as amarried woman? wen u filed the Report of marrieage (ROM)

Edited by Emmz

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, golem216 said:

Good idea.  :thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

23 hours ago, Emmz said:

thanks for the info u gave im relieved now, so u will not change name by court ordered instead just wait for the naturalization so that u can change the middle name of ur wife ryt? did the philipine consulate didnt ask the middle name she used here in america as amarried woman? wen u filed the Report of marrieage (ROM)

I checked the Report of Marriage document. It only has my wife's maiden name on it, not the married name. I believe we sent in the marriage certificate, which would have had the non-Philippines naming convention. I believe that the Philippines likely just followed their naming convention when reporting the marriage on their side. Since we didn't have any issues with that or the Passport renewal, which uses the Philippines naming convention by law, so I would expect that you should be fine.

We have been waiting to change the middle name until the naturalization process since it's free as part of that, we just need to have a judge officiating the ceremony, otherwise do to as part of the Green Card, there is an additional fee and can't be part of a the renewal of the green card and I think would cost the same, so basically double payment.

We filed for naturalization back in February and am still waiting for the next step of interview, which I imagine will be taking much longer than expected due to all the immigration changes from the current administration. Although, someone we know from California filed around the same time as us and they actually completed everything about one month ago and is already a citizen. I'm hoping it doesn't take 1 year like it did for the AOS process for us.

Anyway, good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine. Don't stress over it too much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.