MlovesW

August 2012 AOS Filers

1,707 posts in this topic

I always thought credit score was important, for things like buying a house or a car. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the pre paid CC from Chase is great if you want to be on a budget and only spend X amount of money. It is great for budgeting and not living in debt your entire life

Credit score is important for things like that, but it's more than just how many accounts you have. It's about things like how long you've had your job, how long you've lived in the same place and how up-to-date you are on your payments.

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Credit score is very important unless you are rich and buy everything with cash. I didn't understand how important it is until recently. Back in the day, I was like whatever but now with good credit you can get really nice apartment, low interest rates on mortgage, car loans etc. I doubt not having a bank account will affect your credit. Bank account is good in the sense that if you need loans to purchase a house or a car. But like I said if you are wealthy enough to pay for everything cash, credit score is useless.

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

I didn't assume that all prepaid card users are illegal or work under table because YMMV. That's just a general statement.

The Chase Prepaid card you said. It costs $60/year in fees. The cheapest prepaid card is US Bank, $40/year.

Why even write that statement? It adds nothing to the discussion. A generalised statement is an assumption, for the record.

$60/year is still cheaper than $120-$160+/year in checking fess and whatnot. I personally prefer to use a checking account, but I won't judge others that don't.

Now I need to push Sean for his letter of employment...

This is like herding turtles

It will all come together, you'll see. You just need to push him a little!

ROC in 2014!

Credit score is very important unless you are rich and buy everything with cash. I didn't understand how important it is until recently. Back in the day, I was like whatever but now with good credit you can get really nice apartment, low interest rates on mortgage, car loans etc. I doubt not having a bank account will affect your credit. Bank account is good in the sense that if you need loans to purchase a house or a car. But like I said if you are wealthy enough to pay for everything cash, credit score is useless.

I just think that most of the time consumer credit pushes people to live outside their means. I speak to so many people that have $10000-$15000 limits on their cards and they have spent nearly up to their limit, so they ask for an increase and it spirals out of control. They've ended up living on their card and it hs become an everyday part of their budgeting process. I think mortgages and car loans are great, but consumer credit is just a crutch for more and more people these days.

I keep my credit cards for emergencies and use my savings/checking for everyday expenses. I like to stick with one or two institutions when it comes to credit; it might not always get the best rates, but you end up with the best relationship and the ability to seek more flexibility when required. That's why I was so keen to open an account with Wells Fargo, I looked at their mortgage setup, their credit cards and their checkings/savings. I like the way they do business (on the whole) and they're who I'd like to get 'everything' with.

Edited by epsonderby

ROC in 2014!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

when I came to grad school, I had a direct deposit for 2 years, and could never get a credit card because I had no credit history, and I had no credit history because I had no credit card!

some international friends witch the same bank & direct deposit that me got it approved with their debit card. they told me at chase, they changed the rules in between them and me. I didn't really care much about the CC, but wanted to get some credit history since I was going to be here for 2-3 years.

Why was it useful back then? because I had to be on prepaid phone for 2 years that was much more expensive than a plan. no plan with no credit history.

Now, we are saving money for a house down payment. hubby gave our SSN to the loan guy, and my income was useless to our household income because of no credit history.

hubby got rid of all his credit cards when he had a big debt to pay when the crisis in 2008. So I couldn't get an additional to get credit history that way either.

chase manager suggested me to apply to a capital one with a $300 limit. they approved everybody, and I could cancel it in 6 months or a year, but that would help me start a history. I've had it for 6 months. hopefully in a few months, when we have saved enough, we can use both incomes for a better deal on the house.

F1 to F1 OPT (EAD)
day 00: (2011.08.16) - sent I-765, Nebraska SC (w/ expedite - job offer starting 1 month later)
day 20: Approved / day 27: EAD Received

F1(OPT) to AOS:
2012.04.13 - ______ - Married in the US on F1 visa
2012.08.22 - (day 0) - sent I130/I485/I765 USPS express mail to Chicago Lockbox
2012.08.23 - (day 1) - USPS express mail delivered 1pm
2012.08.29 - (day 7) - 3 NOA text/email
2012.09.01 - (day 10) - 3 NOA in mail dated 08.28/mailed 08.30
2012.09.07 - (day 16) - 9 am, Biometrics notice (09.28) dated 08.31/mailed 09.04
2012.09.07 - (day 16) - 10 am, Walk-in completed
2012.09.18 - F1/OPT visa expired!
2012.10.04 - (day 43) - interview text.
2012.10.26 - (day 64) - EAD in production
2012.11.06 - (day 75) - interview, Approved on spot!
2012.11.15 - (day 85) - 2-year GC in hand!

ROC
2014.10.17 - (day 0) - - sent I751 ROC. USPS express mail to California SC

2014.10.20 - (day 3) - - NOA1 sent. Check cashed

2014.10.24 - (day 7) - - NOA1 received.

2014.10.30 - (day 13) - - Biometrics notice received for 11/11

2014.11.04 - (day 13) - - Biometrics completed. Early walk-in

2015.03.30 - (day 134) - Permanent GC Approved

NATURALIZATION/CITIZENSHIP
2015.08.15 - eligible for Naturalization through marriage (and Baby #1 was born)

2024.05.17 (friday) - (day0) - Submitted N-400 online.

2024.05 22- (day 5) - NOA1 received

2024.05 25- (day8) - NOA2 Biometrics received. No need to present, will use previous.

2024.07 16- (day 60) - NOA3 Interview

2024.08 29- (day 100) - Interview: Approved

2024.08 .... Notice of Oath???   

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Also you can check if you apply for an FHA loan, they have great interest rates.

On a happier note, my FIL sent me the paperwork today :)

Day 0 08/21/2012 Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131

Day 1 Received the next day via UPS

Day 6 08/27/2012 email and text for all 4

Day 10 08/31/12 NOA1 for all 4 and Biometric appointment for 09/21

Day 18 09/08/12 REF on I-485, waiting for the letter

Day 31 09/21/12 Biometrics done

Day 34 09/24/12 RFE hard copy for I-864

Day 51 10/11/12 RFE Response sent (about 30 days behind)

Day 55 10/15/12 RFE response review

Day 64 10/24/12 Online status changed to EAD/AP Card production

Day 72 11/01/12 EAD/AP Card arrived!!

Day 73 11/02/12 Interview SMS for December 3rd

Day 76 11/05/12 Applied for SSN and HARD COPY of Interview

Day 104 12/03/12 INTERVIEW DAY!!! 9 am Chicago, IL

Also you can check if you apply for an FHA loan, they have great interest rates.

Good news :)

ROC in 2014!

Good news for me.. I gave up checking my AOS status already cause nothing was happening..and then today..I found out that my EAD card is in production. So happy right now. I am hoping that everyone will have a good news soon. :)

Edited by B_J

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Dominica
Timeline

Hoooray i'm so happy for you. That's awesome news.

Married: 24th February

Adjusting from B2 Visa

Concurrent filing I130, I485 and I765:

Day 0.... 08/06/12- Package mailed to Chicago Lockbok via FedEx ground

Day 2.... 08/08/12- Package delivered and signed for

Day 4.... 08/10/12- Received Email and text confirmation

Day 8.... 08/14/12- Check cleared

Day11... 08/17/12- I797C, NOA biometric appt received. Scheduled date 08/31/12 @ 12:00

Day16....08/22/12- Biometric appt completed.... Early walk-in less than 15 minutes

Day16....08/22/12- Received NOA hard copies in the mail for I-130, I-485, I-765

Day38....09/13/12- Received text notification for interview. Scheduled date 10/18/10

Day40....09/15/12- Received hard copy for interview. Scheduled 10/18/12 @ 12:45 Holtsville NY

Day61....10/06/12- Received text notification about EAD card production

Day66....10/11/12- Received 2nd and 3rd text notification about EAD card in production

Day67....10/12/12- Received notification card was picked up by USPS

Day70....10/15/12- Received EAD card in the mail. I'm loving it

Day72....10/17/12- Went to SS Office to apply for card

Day73....10/18/12- Interview day!!!! Approved

Day77....10/22/12- Received approval letters for I-130 and I-485. Got SS card

Day78....10/23/12- Got 2 text msgs about card production

Day79....10/24/12- Green card mailed

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Credit score is important for things like that, but it's more than just how many accounts you have. It's about things like how long you've had your job, how long you've lived in the same place and how up-to-date you are on your payments.

Any August 10-16th, 2012 filers get their EAD or Interview yet?

event.png

Timeline

Adjusting from B2 Visa

Day11... 08/17/12- I797C, NOA biometric appt received. Scheduled date 08/31/12 @ 12:00

Day16....08/22/12- Biometric appt completed.... Early walk-in less than 15 minutes

Day38....09/13/12- Received text notification for interview. Scheduled date 10/18/10

Day40....09/15/12- Received hard copy for interview. Scheduled 10/18/12 @ 12:45 Holtsville NY

Day66....10/11/12- Received 2nd and 3rd text notification about EAD card in production

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wow. See what happens when I don't get online for a few days??!!?? :ot: I agree, it is quite presumptuous to assume that someone is doing something wrong or illegal just because they don't want to fall in line with the status quo everyone else finds to be "normal". (Rant warning) It also shows that the poster hasn't followed our entire thread very closely, because it was stated before that 1. I am a US citizen (FYI, my family homesteaded this area before it was even recognized as a state of the Union, and there are 2 US presidents - James K. Polk & George Washington - in my family's tree) and 2. I hold a legitimate line of employment, as a registered nurse. I have a legitimate REASON for not choosing to have lines of credit, so please don't make blanket assumptions about people. When I was a very young girl, I saw my parents get caught up in living beyond their means with credit. They lost everything, and spent the next 20 years pinching pennies and scratching to get by. I learned to be self sufficient, and to accept the fact that if I cannot pay cash for something, then I don't really need it after all. When I have a "want" (new TV, expensive pair of shoes, whatever) then I save up for it and get it. I have funds set aside for emergency use for the "needs". I have a stable work history (1 year with my current hospital, 9 years with my previous hospital) and a strong credit rating which I have built through financing vehicles & mortgage (necessary evils in our society). I put myself through LPN school 9 years ago, then worked as a LPN for 8 years and saving money (as a single mom of 4 btw) until I had enough to send myself to RN school. It IS possible to have legal reasons (such as not wanting to take the risk of overextending yourself or the desire to be self sufficient) to not want to be tied up in banks and lines of credit. I enjoy my reloadable prepaid card. It saves me the risk of carrying cash, which has become dangerous in our society, and allows me the benefit of being able to shop or pay bills online. It also is insured by the issuer for the amount I load in case of loss or theft. For me, the best part is that I am spending my own money and not some nebulous line of credit with strings like interest rates and late fees attached. If I load $2500, then that is how much I have to spend. It doesn't spoil, rot, or disappear, but I also cannot spend $3000 on a vacation or some shiny something at the mall that I really don't need anyways and cannot afford. Helps me keep myself on track and on budget. I will step off my soapbox now, don't think there is anything left for me to say. Sorry about the rant, but it irritates me to have people assume things, and I hope my explanation will serve to be educational & to open people to the fact that sometimes the actions of others really are as simple as they seem on the surface... preference. No ulterior motives.

:ot2: Great news today on our AOS journey! Have been checking online every day. Still listed as "RFE response review", but we got a paper notice for my husband's interview date!!!! November 8 at 10 am!!!! Very excited, it was so completely unexpected!! Saw the USCIS envelope, and really figured (with the online status unchanged) that it was yet another RFE, so boy was I surprised! Yea!!!!!!! :dance:

Iaia! Progress! Woohoo! I know how frustrating it is doing the paperwork ourselves & waiting, so I can imagine waiting for someone else to take care of stuff so you can move forward is twice as frustrating. Hopefully things will speed forward for you now.

Met online March 2011

Met in Egypt July 2011

2nd visit to Egypt September 2011

3rd visit to Egypt December 2011

``````````````````````````````````

Entered F-1 visa December 2011

Started classes January 2012

Married in USA April 2012

July 2012 - we're pregnant!!

Our family is set to grow by 1 girl on 02/20/13

``````````````````````````````````

AOS (I-130/I-485/I-765) sent via FedEx 08/16/12

Package delivered with signature 08/17/12

USCIS acceptance email & text NOA1 08/21/12

RFE on I-485 09/01/12

Biometrics completed 09/13/12

Paper interview notice received 10/09/12 - Interview date 11/08/12

EAD card production on USCIS website 10/19/12

EAD in hand 10/27/12

Interview 11/08/12 - Approved!!

Green Card in hand 11/19/12

Removal of conditions 11/2014

The road to success is full of flat squirrels who couldn't make up their minds.

Timeline

Wow. See what happens when I don't get online for a few days??!!?? :ot: I agree, it is quite presumptuous to assume that someone is doing something wrong or illegal just because they don't want to fall in line with the status quo everyone else finds to be "normal". (Rant warning) It also shows that the poster hasn't followed our entire thread very closely, because it was stated before that 1. I am a US citizen (FYI, my family homesteaded this area before it was even recognized as a state of the Union, and there are 2 US presidents - James K. Polk & George Washington - in my family's tree) and 2. I hold a legitimate line of employment, as a registered nurse. I have a legitimate REASON for not choosing to have lines of credit, so please don't make blanket assumptions about people. When I was a very young girl, I saw my parents get caught up in living beyond their means with credit. They lost everything, and spent the next 20 years pinching pennies and scratching to get by. I learned to be self sufficient, and to accept the fact that if I cannot pay cash for something, then I don't really need it after all. When I have a "want" (new TV, expensive pair of shoes, whatever) then I save up for it and get it. I have funds set aside for emergency use for the "needs". I have a stable work history (1 year with my current hospital, 9 years with my previous hospital) and a strong credit rating which I have built through financing vehicles & mortgage (necessary evils in our society). I put myself through LPN school 9 years ago, then worked as a LPN for 8 years and saving money (as a single mom of 4 btw) until I had enough to send myself to RN school. It IS possible to have legal reasons (such as not wanting to take the risk of overextending yourself or the desire to be self sufficient) to not want to be tied up in banks and lines of credit. I enjoy my reloadable prepaid card. It saves me the risk of carrying cash, which has become dangerous in our society, and allows me the benefit of being able to shop or pay bills online. It also is insured by the issuer for the amount I load in case of loss or theft. For me, the best part is that I am spending my own money and not some nebulous line of credit with strings like interest rates and late fees attached. If I load $2500, then that is how much I have to spend. It doesn't spoil, rot, or disappear, but I also cannot spend $3000 on a vacation or some shiny something at the mall that I really don't need anyways and cannot afford. Helps me keep myself on track and on budget. I will step off my soapbox now, don't think there is anything left for me to say. Sorry about the rant, but it irritates me to have people assume things, and I hope my explanation will serve to be educational & to open people to the fact that sometimes the actions of others really are as simple as they seem on the surface... preference. No ulterior motives.

:ot2: Great news today on our AOS journey! Have been checking online every day. Still listed as "RFE response review", but we got a paper notice for my husband's interview date!!!! November 8 at 10 am!!!! Very excited, it was so completely unexpected!! Saw the USCIS envelope, and really figured (with the online status unchanged) that it was yet another RFE, so boy was I surprised! Yea!!!!!!! :dance:

And i totally agree with you. Congrats on your interview btw

Iaia! Progress! Woohoo! I know how frustrating it is doing the paperwork ourselves & waiting, so I can imagine waiting for someone else to take care of stuff so you can move forward is twice as frustrating. Hopefully things will speed forward for you now.

Adjusting from B2 Visa

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I think your explanation is exceptional. It is a great way to see thing and to keep control of your money.

Congrats on your interview!!

I will have the response by tomorrow morning for the RFE and since Sean has to work, I will have the package ready by tomorrow night and send it by Thursday. I will WALK with the babies to the UPS store and send it. That is how desperate I am, hahahaha (is about 10 blocks back and forward, no side walk)

Day 0 08/21/2012 Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131

Day 1 Received the next day via UPS

Day 6 08/27/2012 email and text for all 4

Day 10 08/31/12 NOA1 for all 4 and Biometric appointment for 09/21

Day 18 09/08/12 REF on I-485, waiting for the letter

Day 31 09/21/12 Biometrics done

Day 34 09/24/12 RFE hard copy for I-864

Day 51 10/11/12 RFE Response sent (about 30 days behind)

Day 55 10/15/12 RFE response review

Day 64 10/24/12 Online status changed to EAD/AP Card production

Day 72 11/01/12 EAD/AP Card arrived!!

Day 73 11/02/12 Interview SMS for December 3rd

Day 76 11/05/12 Applied for SSN and HARD COPY of Interview

Day 104 12/03/12 INTERVIEW DAY!!! 9 am Chicago, IL

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

So, who is first in line for interviews? Maybe I cannot read the spreadsheet right, but it appears interview dates are not there. Just want to know who to watch for.. :). Ours is coming up in two weeks.. Yikes

~OUR STORY~

4/2012: Met online and began this cRaZY journey

9/2/2011: He proposed and I said YES!!After multiple trips back and forth.....

7/4/2012: He entered USA at LAX on B2 to visit 6 months

8/8/2012: We got married!!8/8/2012: AOS packet sent (Day 0)

8/10/2012: Packet signed for at 11:48a (Day 2)

8/14/2012: We got our txt/email notifications (all 4) (Day 6)

8/16/2012: Checks cashed.. (Day 8)

8/23/2012: Biometrics letter received via "snail mail" today.. September 7th at 12p in Sacramento CA (Day 15)

8/27/2012: Finally received all 4 NOA1 hard copies via US mail (Day 19)

9/7/2012: Biometrics completed!! (Day 30)

9/19/2012: Received txt message for interview!! October 22nd, 2012.. (Day 42)

9/21/2012: And the interview letter comes in snail mail.. October 22nd, 2pm in Sacramento..Time to get the final stuff together.. (Day 44)

10/16/3012: Received txt msg, EAD is approved and card being mailed. Right before interview and not really needed anyhow!! (Day 69)

10/19/2012: After a bunch of repetitive text messages, my husband received his combo card EAD/AP.. Of course four days before our interview!! (Day 72)

10/22/2012: Interview.. APPROVED!! (Day 75) Next journey ROC!!

10/29/2012: Green Card received in US mail... (Day 82) WOO HOO!!

~ROC BEGINS!!~

08/25/2014: Lifting Conditions Packet Mailed to CA service center (Day 0)

08/27/2014: NOA1 Receipt (Day 2)

09/05/2014: Biometrics letter received via "snail mail" Set for September 15th at 10a in Sacramento CA (Day 11)

09/15/2014: Biometric completed... now we wait!! (Day 21)

11/21/2014: Card/Document Production email received!! (Day 88)

12/01/2014: Card arrives in our mailbox.. this chapter is over... (Day 98) Next is citizenship!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.