Mr America

*URGENT* Spouse name on Indian passport?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

As we have the CR1 interview coming up soon next month, my wife has already had the passport office PCC issued a couple weeks ago. However, her Indian passport was issued a few years ago, so it does not have the spouse name added after our marriage.

I assumed this isnt needed at the US counsulate but suddenly just found conflicting information in some online discussion forums.

Can this become a issue at the US counsulate interview? Or do they not care about whether or not the spouse name has been added to the Indian passport? If we needed that, I presume we'd have to go through getting a new passport issued and then again doing the PCC based on the new passport, adding hassles.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

It may or may not. It really depend up to CO, and each case is unique. So treatment can be different.

If you have time to get passport re-issued, then that would be great as it is not an expensive solution. If done under Tatkal then it would take up to 3 days to get new passport in hand.

You don't need to redo PCC.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

It may or may not. It really depend up to CO, and each case is unique. So treatment can be different.

If you have time to get passport re-issued, then that would be great as it is not an expensive solution. If done under Tatkal then it would take up to 3 days to get new passport in hand.

If the passport is re issued, wouldn't she need to get other PCC based on her married name as it will be shown in the new passport? I am not sure, I am just asking based on what came to my mind.

USCIS:

12/06/2011 - Married

01/17/2012 - I-130 Sent

01/18/2012 - NOA1 Date

07/30/2012 - NOA2 Email Received (194 Days since NOA1)

NVC:

07/30/2012 - Case arrived at NVC building

08/20/2012 - Received case #, IIN, gave both e-mail addresses

08/20/2012 - E-mailed DS-3032 (used email template & also attached scanned copy)

08/27/2012 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID online

08/28/2012 - AOS bill appears as PAID

08/29/2012 - DS-3032 accepted

08/30/2012 - IV bill invoiced & PAID online

08/31/2012 - IV bill appears as PAID

08/31/2012 - AOS Package sent (via priority mail)

08/31/2012 - IV Package sent (via priority mail)

09/04/2012 - NVC received both packets (due to weekend & labor day holiday)

09/11/2012 - AOS/I-864 accepted

09/17/2012 - RFE for DS-230 ques 30

09/19/2012 - Mailed new DS-230 by overnight mail

09/21/2012 - New DS-230 delivered at NVC

10/01/2012 - IV Package accepted

10/01/2012 - Case Complete

10/02/2012 - Interview date assigned by email

Mumbai Consulate:

10/05/2012 - Medical Done (Got the report on same day)

11/07/2012 - Interview @ Mumbai Consulate (Result: APPROVED)

11/09/2012 - Passport Pick up

11/22/2012 - POE Atlanta

Timeline

Are you sure about this? Now im stressed because we only have a few weeks till the interview and cant be sure in that country how quickly can get this done. We might end up having to postpone the interview if so.

Has anyone passed the interview without having added the spouse name to passport? Is there any known cases of a 221g issued for this alone? The US Counsulate website doesnt at all say this has to be done.

Timeline

If the passport is re issued, wouldn't she need to get other PCC based on her married name as it will be shown in the new passport? I am not sure, I am just asking based on what came to my mind.

No, she wont need it. She still will have her old passport ( with cancelled stamp ), plus new passport will have her old passport number in biographic page.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

Are you sure about this? Now im stressed because we only have a few weeks till the interview and cant be sure in that country how quickly can get this done. We might end up having to postpone the interview if so.

Has anyone passed the interview without having added the spouse name to passport? Is there any known cases of a 221g issued for this alone? The US Counsulate website doesnt at all say this has to be done.

Yes, I am sure about that. You wont need to redo PCC. I have done the same in my process. I applied for reissued passport after my case was completed at NVC stage. My PCC was issued for old passport and was containing my old passport number in PCC.

I was required to apply for reissued passport, as my wife had to renew her extension with Indian immigration, and they told us that I must have her name in my passport due to their new rule. I glad I did, because I found out, my passport was considered as damaged.

Overall, you should understand, one can get approval even one didnt have spouse name in passport, but everything depend up to case to case. Officer to officer. Their mood, Indian official who are looking your case file using microscope. People may have similar situation, but approval result can be different because each case is unique.

It is your choice, whether you prefer to get your passport reissued or just go with what you have. That is up to you.

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

Yes, I am sure about that. You wont need to redo PCC. I have done the same in my process. I applied for reissued passport after my case was completed at NVC stage. My PCC was issued for old passport and was containing my old passport number in PCC.

I was required to apply for reissued passport, as my wife had to renew her extension with Indian immigration, and they told us that I must have her name in my passport due to their new rule. I glad I did, because I found out, my passport was considered as damaged.

Overall, you should understand, one can get approval even one didnt have spouse name in passport, but everything depend up to case to case. Officer to officer. Their mood, Indian official who are looking your case file using microscope. People may have similar situation, but approval result can be different because each case is unique.

It is your choice, whether you prefer to get your passport reissued or just go with what you have. That is up to you.

I have just confirmed the info with the VFS for Mumbai counsulate that as long as the original marriage certificate has been provided, that is proof enough and adding spouse name to Indian passport is not necessary. This is the US counsulate, they should be consistent when they say something is needed or not.

I ask that please dont post possible misleading information that made us nervous for no reason. Getting a fresh passport is a big deal if needed (maybe faster in some parts of India than others), theres no way in Kolkata as my wife was told the passport could be issued in 3 days, more like 1-2 weeks at minimum even under Taktaal.

Timeline

I have just confirmed the info with the VFS for Mumbai counsulate that as long as the original marriage certificate has been provided, that is proof enough and adding spouse name to Indian passport is not necessary. This is the US counsulate, they should be consistent when they say something is needed or not.

I ask that please dont post possible misleading information that made us nervous for no reason. Getting a fresh passport is a big deal if needed (maybe faster in some parts of India than others), theres no way in Kolkata as my wife was told the passport could be issued in 3 days, more like 1-2 weeks at minimum even under Taktaal.

VFS is not a decision maker for anyone's visa application. Requirement for the doc can be different based on case to case. I have not given any misleading information, and I already have made it clear that it really up to CO, and case to case. If your case would need your passport to be updated, then they would ask, if they dont need, then they are fine.

Kolkata has PKS, and I dont see why it would take 1 or 2 weeks there. PSK is faster and can grant the passport on spot, and can get your passport avail in few days.

Edited by iwaiting

XrVRp5.png

Timeline

VFS is not a decision maker for anyone's visa application. Requirement for the doc can be different based on case to case. I have not given any misleading information, and I already have made it clear that it really up to CO, and case to case. If your case would need your passport to be updated, then they would ask, if they dont need, then they are fine.

Kolkata has PKS, and I dont see why it would take 1 or 2 weeks there. PSK is faster and can grant the passport on spot, and can get your passport avail in few days.

Peace folks :) Let's put it this way...... I don't have much to add on this topic but both are correct in your own ways. So no need to fight on this topic anymore :thumbs:

I-130 Processed at USCIS

========================

12/17/2011 : I-130 Sent to USCIS

12/20/2011 : I-130 NOA1

05/11/2012 : I-130 NOA2

NVC

===

05/28/2012 : Received at NVC

06/11/2012 : Case number issued by NVC

06/11/2012 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent Email Sent to NVC

06/13/2012 : AOS Bill Issued

06/13/2012 : AOS Bill Paid

06/14/2012 : AOS Bill Marked as "PAID" in NVC System

06/14/2012 : AOS Package Mailed to NVC

06/18/2012 : AOS Package Delivered to NVC

06/19/2012 : DS-3032 Accepted

06/21/2012 : IV Bill Issued

06/21/2012 : IV Bill Paid

06/21/2012 : IV Package Mailed to NVC

06/22/2012 : IV Bill Marked as "PAID" in NVC System

06/22/2012 : IV Package Delivered to NVC

06/25/2012 : AOS Accepted by NVC

06/29/2012 : IV Accepted by NVC

06/29/2012 : Case Complete at NVC

08/01/2012 : Interview Date Assigned and Case Forwarded from NVC to Mumbai Consulate

09/07/2012 : Interview at Mumbai Consulate (Result: Approved!)

09/11/2012 : Received Visa in Mail at home

09/22/2012 : POE at Houston, TX (IAH)

Timeline

Peace folks :) Let's put it this way...... I don't have much to add on this topic but both are correct in your own ways. So no need to fight on this topic anymore :thumbs:

Fight? People should show appreciation for the advice they get from those who have been gone thru this journey and have plenty of experience. In my original post, I clearly mentioned that it may or may not, but it really depend up to CO since each case is unique. It was clear!

XrVRp5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.