M&O

RFE: They ask for marrige certificate type that doesn't exist ?!

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

There's nothing on the back of the original document.

We didn't send any copies - we send original certificate as we got them from the court.

Because you sent the original document to USCIS instead of a photocopy (USCIS only requires photocopies), you will now need the court to re-issue the certificate they gave you the first time. The NVC will require the original document.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

they are not looking for the marriage certificate from the court, they are looking for the one from the civil status department where the court would have sent it to be registered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Because you sent the original document to USCIS instead of a photocopy (USCIS only requires photocopies), you will now need the court to re-issue the certificate they gave you the first time. The NVC will require the original document.

Well, I'm not sure what you understand under 'copy' and what is an 'original document'

As our marriage ceremony was over, they offered us to send us a marriage certificate in a few days by post, and the cost for that was a few dollars.

Instead of one, we asked if we can get more of them, and payed the price for three.

A few days latter we got three marriage certificate delivered by the post.

Those certificates I call "original documents" as they are made by the court and have original stamp and signature made by human hand of the court clerk.

But, except for a stamp and signature, the rest of the paper contains photocopied material of some other paper, but nevertheless, as this is the only certificate we can get from the court (or registration office) - I consider it to be original document.

When you say 'photocopies' I think of a papers that I can produce myself by photocopying the original documents in a copy machine...

Nevertheless, both original and copied document contain the same data, and they didn't complain about 'originality', but of the missing data from the document (certificate number, book number, page number....) that they expect to see on that paper. So, even if i send them copy - they won't see anything else on it what they can't see on the original.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Well, I'm not sure what you understand under 'copy' and what is an 'original document'

As our marriage ceremony was over, they offered us to send us a marriage certificate in a few days by post, and the cost for that was a few dollars.

Instead of one, we asked if we can get more of them, and payed the price for three.

A few days latter we got three marriage certificate delivered by the post.

Those certificates I call "original documents" as they are made by the court and have original stamp and signature made by human hand of the court clerk.

But, except for a stamp and signature, the rest of the paper contains photocopied material of some other paper, but nevertheless, as this is the only certificate we can get from the court (or registration office) - I consider it to be original document.

When you say 'photocopies' I think of a papers that I can produce myself by photocopying the original documents in a copy machine...

Nevertheless, both original and copied document contain the same data, and they didn't complain about 'originality', but of the missing data from the document (certificate number, book number, page number....) that they expect to see on that paper. So, even if i send them copy - they won't see anything else on it what they can't see on the original.

Sounds like you ordered three certified copies of your marriage certificate. You'll need a second of the three for NVC. You have three original certified copies. You could have filed a photocopy of a certified copy with the petition.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

they are not looking for the marriage certificate from the court, they are looking for the one from the civil status department where the court would have sent it to be registered.

You are right. As we get stuck with this problem we learned in the meantime that this marriage certificate we have was not from the court were we got married but from some registration office or something with similar name. I thought it was from the court as we only had deal with the court at that time. In fact, you can't even obtain one in court.

Nevertheless, we also asked that registration office who issues marriage certificates and they told us that the certificate we already have is the one and only there is. That is the only marriage certificate one can obtain in Orlando, Florida. There exist no other type of "marriage certificate" nor "certificate of marriage" nor "certified copy" nor "certified certificate" or anything else that has anything to do with marriage, no matter how you name it :)

It seems we can't do anything else but write a letter to California office and try to explain to those people that marriage certificate in Florida looks different as the one from Alaska.

Timeline

Oh man, it seems like they are very good in finding small little unimportant issues thus causing a huge backlog for thousands of others... Worst case scenario: Get divorced and re-marry in Austria, they took our Austrian marriage certificate with no problems... ;)

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Austria

Marriage: 2010-11-19

I-130 Sent : 2010-12-20

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-01-05

I-130 NOA2 : 2011-05-09

Received NVC Case Number on 5/21,

Sent DS-3032 and paid AOS bill on 5/21,

Paid IV Bill on 5/25

Sent both packages on 6/1

Packages arrived 6/6

SIF & CC 6/20

Medical 7/25

Interview 8/9

Received visa 8/16

Flight to the US 10/4 (POE = IAD)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to let you know, what you have is a typical Florida marriage certificate. They MUST file the original for you. You are not allowed to keep the original; otherwise the marriage has no record. The court of clerks will issue a certified copy of the marriage certificate which is just the saem as the certificate of marriage. Only the copy must have the seal of Florida signed by an official clerk.

I sent a photocopy of my certified copy in, and hopefully will not receive as much trouble as you have been given.

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Just a quick update:

We mailed a certified copy of our marriage licence together with the letter of explanation on Tue, 14th Avgust 2012.

The letter reached USCIS next day around 11 AM.

By the end of the day, our status on uscis.gov was changed from "Request for evidence" to "Response review".

That was pretty quick, although I don't know if that means somebody is actually working on our case, or they are just notifying us that they received 'response'.

I'll be back as soon as there are some news/changes...

Timeline

Just a quick update:

We mailed a certified copy of our marriage licence together with the letter of explanation on Tue, 14th Avgust 2012.

The letter reached USCIS next day around 11 AM.

By the end of the day, our status on uscis.gov was changed from "Request for evidence" to "Response review".

That was pretty quick, although I don't know if that means somebody is actually working on our case, or they are just notifying us that they received 'response'.

I'll be back as soon as there are some news/changes...

The status change is nothing more than an acknowledgment they received your response. Usually it's less than two weeks before they either RFE again or approve the petition.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just a quick update:

Yesterday (September 25th, 2012) we received NOA2 - Approved! (an sms-notification), and the status on USCIS site changed to "Post Decision Activity"

We're waiting for the rest to arrive by mail.

So, it took them 40 days to respond to evidence.

We expected it to be under two weeks since we mailed "missing" evidence (which was just a simple explanation that the requested data are already provided) just a 2-3 days after request, so we got a little bit nervous lately, but it's ok now.

Thanks everybody on Your support!

We're going to read now what's expecting us next...

Bye bye!

Timeline

Just a quick update:

Yesterday (September 25th, 2012) we received NOA2 - Approved! (an sms-notification), and the status on USCIS site changed to "Post Decision Activity"

We're waiting for the rest to arrive by mail.

So, it took them 40 days to respond to evidence.

We expected it to be under two weeks since we mailed "missing" evidence (which was just a simple explanation that the requested data are already provided) just a 2-3 days after request, so we got a little bit nervous lately, but it's ok now.

Thanks everybody on Your support!

We're going to read now what's expecting us next...

Bye bye!

Probably took extra time because the case approval had to be escalated to a higher level.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

Probably took extra time because the case approval had to be escalated to a higher level.

If you could only know how that "higer level" echoes in my ears...

Is it a normal procedure, or is it maybe because something about our case was suspicious or ambiguous so that it needed to be approved from higher rank?

Timeline

If you could only know how that "higer level" echoes in my ears...

Is it a normal procedure, or is it maybe because something about our case was suspicious or ambiguous so that it needed to be approved from higher rank?

Most likely, the "higher level" just evaluating the marriage certificate.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.