Penny Lane

By the Numbers: Guns in America

96 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Forgot a few important numbers:

100% - 1000%: Increase in suicide risk where a gun is in the house

50%: more likely to be shot dead by one's own hand than to be shot dead by a criminal assailant

> 30,000: Self inflicted gun injuries per year.

True stuff.

Filed: Timeline

.22lr becomes somewhat inaccurate after 100 yd. Larger rifles go out to 800+

A long bow has a range of 250 yds if you can pull it. (For comparison)

In a panic situation, most folks couldn't even get the safety off, let alone aim and shoot. On the firing range for a security guard, the qualification for a sidearm is at about 20 feet (7 meters), the length of a typical room.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can shoot someone with a rifle from how far away?

Yes, but it's not as enjoyable as shooting someone at point blank range, look into their eyes as life slips away from them... mmm nice.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Well instead of talking about abortions since a lot of people disagree on that, why not talk about car accidents instead? I've read somewhere that every year in the U.S. something like 49,000 people are killed in auto accidents in comparison with the 12,000 (roughly) killed by firearms. Are you going to ban cars too? They're dangerous right? Not to mention that the majority of firearm deaths are probably between known criminals (not that their lives are any less valuable but it's still not the everyday average Joe that gets killed). Many other firearm incidents are pure accidents as well.

In Australia they banned all private ownership of guns several years ago and since then violent gun crime has risen nearly 400%. Why do you think that is? Because no matter what the law says, a bad guy is always going to be a bad guy, they're called criminals because they break the law. Do you think that someone who murders somebody or sells drugs is going to give a damn about gun laws?!?!? Heck no! The criminals will ALWAYS have guns. Also, its not like it takes the police just 15 seconds to respond to a phone call for help! All that ####### in Colorado needed was a couple of minutes to kill all those innocent people! Its a miracle the police arrived as quickly as they did! So in the end you have to ask yourself...would I rather live in a country where only outlaws and police have guns or do I want to live somewhere where I have the right to be at even odds with the bad guys and protect my family with a firearm as well?

My 2 cents on the topic.

Timeline

Well instead of talking about abortions since a lot of people disagree on that, why not talk about car accidents instead? I've read somewhere that every year in the U.S. something like 49,000 people are killed in auto accidents in comparison with the 12,000 (roughly) killed by firearms. Are you going to ban cars too? They're dangerous right? Not to mention that the majority of firearm deaths are probably between known criminals (not that their lives are any less valuable but it's still not the everyday average Joe that gets killed). Many other firearm incidents are pure accidents as well.

In Australia they banned all private ownership of guns several years ago and since then violent gun crime has risen nearly 400%. Why do you think that is? Because no matter what the law says, a bad guy is always going to be a bad guy, they're called criminals because they break the law. Do you think that someone who murders somebody or sells drugs is going to give a damn about gun laws?!?!? Heck no! The criminals will ALWAYS have guns. Also, its not like it takes the police just 15 seconds to respond to a phone call for help! All that ####### in Colorado needed was a couple of minutes to kill all those innocent people! Its a miracle the police arrived as quickly as they did! So in the end you have to ask yourself...would I rather live in a country where only outlaws and police have guns or do I want to live somewhere where I have the right to be at even odds with the bad guys and protect my family with a firearm as well?

My 2 cents on the topic.

Very well said.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've heard belief in Hell tends to lower crime rates...

That's actually a very good point. I used to think that If going to hell keeps you from sticking a knife in me and taking my wallet, then religion is a good thing.

Problem is, all the Christian countries I visited had super high crime rates. Police with machine guns at the local Wendy's and McDonalds in Guatemala City and Manila. Mexico is a mess. However the 3 years I spent in Thailand were pretty much crime free for me. India and Bangladesh the same. I had a better chance dieing in a taxi than from a criminal.

Thailand had their 10 year coups etc. I would say believing in hell leads to higher crime rates. Maybe the crooks give up on their pass to "heaven"

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

That's actually a very good point. I used to think that If going to hell keeps you from sticking a knife in me and taking my wallet, then religion is a good thing.

Problem is, all the Christian countries I visited had super high crime rates. Police with machine guns at the local Wendy's and McDonalds in Guatemala City and Manila. Mexico is a mess. However the 3 years I spent in Thailand were pretty much crime free for me. India and Bangladesh the same. I had a better chance dieing in a taxi than from a criminal.

Thailand had their 10 year coups etc. I would say believing in hell leads to higher crime rates. Maybe the crooks give up on their pass to "heaven"

I actually posted that immediately after reading this study. Think of heaven - higher crime. Think of hell - lower crime.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0039048

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I actually posted that immediately after reading this study. Think of heaven - higher crime. Think of hell - lower crime.

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0039048

How can you heaven without hell? You can't. It's best not to have either.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Timeline

How can you heaven without hell? You can't. It's best not to have either.

Some believe that we are already in hell, and death is a one-way ticket to heaven.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Abortions don't kill "people". :P

When they count those little arms and legs to make sure they got it all out.... what exactly is that they are killing?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

When they count those little arms and legs to make sure they got it all out.... what exactly is that they are killing?

A fetus.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS