14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys! i'm new here. I hope i'm posting in the correct area. So here is my story.

I just came back from the phillippines again and got engaged to my girl friend. I pretty much know about the whole process of filing as i've been researching like a madman! But there is one thing that came up that concerns me. It's that i'm 21 and she's currently 17. I was hoping to go ahead and start the petition process but i've been reading around, and now im concerned i'm going to have to wait until April (her 18th b-day) to even start the petition process. A few more drops to the bucket, is that her parents are both deceased. Her brother is her legal guardian. Is it possible that if he signs that he agree's for us to marry, would I be able to petition for her?

I was planning to start the petition process around september of this year "2012", and I know it takes about 6-10 months, so by the time she's here, she would be 18 and we could marry. So to sum it up, my question is. Must I wait until april of 2013 to even start the petition process?

btw sorry if this has been asked before :(

Edited by codythecolt

If the brother is her legal guardian then he can sign for her.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ahh ok thanks. Will she need more than one signature since she just has the one guardian? I hear the laws in the phillippines are alittle funky. I'm just waiting for the mail she sent me with the documents I need to start the the process of petitioning. So I will be able to start now right? Sorry I think im over thinking.

Ahh more questions about the age thing.

So if I do get to petition for her and her interview at the embassy was before her 18th birthday, would her being 17 still be ok? Is that when she would show the signature? Also what should the signature be on? A special document?

Edited by codythecolt

Not sure about Philippines specific things. However, it is taking months to process so even if you started right now she would probably be of age by the time of her interview.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Check out the link to the Philippines forum Thomas and Kristi gave you good.gif

As you said, the Philippines has some funky laws when it comes to marriage, and it's my understanding that even if she was less than 24/25 years old, she would still need an authorization from her parents or legal guardian.

Good luck on your visa journey!

Look at your state specific laws regarding marriage. Generally the K-1 just says free to marry at the time the forms are submitted, which varies depending on where you plan to get married. She is free to marry with parental consent in most if not all states at 17 years old. For Nebraska, she must be 19 to marry without parental consent, and Mississippi is 21. Some states require a guardian be present when applying for the marriage license, others just signed consent, some 'notarized' and I don't know if a foreign notary counts. So I would submit whatever proof is required by the state you intend to marry in.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

What's the age of consent to marry in the state you live in?

I'm guessing the following:

Depending on your state's age of consent to marry, you may or may not need to include your state's consent document with your I-129F packet. If consent to marry is needed for a 17 year old, then include your state's consent document signed by her brother. You may also want to submit a copy of his legal guardianship papers.

Your fiancée needs to be 18 years old by the time she attends the CFO seminar. The CFO seminar is still several months away for her because it's normally completed around the time of the Embassy interview. At 18 years old, she will need to submit the Filipino version of the parental consent form to the CFO. She should also submit her brother's legal guardianship documents.

PS...That other thread that was linked to earlier is inconclusive. In that thread, the OP's petition has not been approved by the USCIS, his fiancée has not had an Embassy interview, and she also hasn't completed the CFO seminar. The other poster in that thread (who claimed they had no problem with a case similar to yours) is probably a troll, and I would not trust the information they gave.

Family Code of the Philippines

Art. 5. Any male or female of the age of eighteen years or upwards not under any of the impediments mentioned in Articles 37 and 38, may contract marriage. (54a)

Art. 14. In case either or both of the contracting parties, not having been emancipated by a previous marriage, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, they shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, exhibit to the local civil registrar, the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned. Such consent shall be manifested in writing by the interested party, who personally appears before the proper local civil registrar, or in the form of an affidavit made in the presence of two witnesses and attested before any official authorized by law to administer oaths. The personal manifestation shall be recorded in both applications for marriage license, and the affidavit, if one is executed instead, shall be attached to said applications. (61a)

Art. 15. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage. If they do not obtain such advice, or if it be unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application therefor. A sworn statement by the contracting parties to the effect that such advice has been sought, together with the written advice given, if any, shall be attached to the application for marriage license. Should the parents or guardian refuse to give any advice, this fact shall be stated in the sworn statement. (62a)

With what Tahoma mentioned, this is the law and rationale for the CFO requirements. She needs to be 18 before you can marry her.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

we have the same situation. my fiance filed the petition last february 2012. i just turned 18 this july, noa2 came after 6 months ..this august I think. I'm already 18 now passed the medical but now currently waiting for our interview this October... I think you can file ahead before her birthday. :unsure:

I'll ask my fiance about this and get back to you. Good luck anyways! :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi guys! i'm new here. I hope i'm posting in the correct area. So here is my story.

I just came back from the phillippines again and got engaged to my girl friend. I pretty much know about the whole process of filing as i've been researching like a madman! But there is one thing that came up that concerns me. It's that i'm 21 and she's currently 17. I was hoping to go ahead and start the petition process but i've been reading around, and now im concerned i'm going to have to wait until April (her 18th b-day) to even start the petition process. A few more drops to the bucket, is that her parents are both deceased. Her brother is her legal guardian. Is it possible that if he signs that he agree's for us to marry, would I be able to petition for her?

I was planning to start the petition process around september of this year "2012", and I know it takes about 6-10 months, so by the time she's here, she would be 18 and we could marry. So to sum it up, my question is. Must I wait until april of 2013 to even start the petition process?

You need to address this in the Philippines forum, as I have read in other threads about the requirements for marriage and to be free to marry.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Both must be legally able to marry BEFORE the petition is filed. If her brother's signature accomplishes that, you are fine.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

I was in the same situation . I just sent my fiance a parental consent form for the state of Nevada and had her parents sign it and get notorized there from the local civil registrar in her city. She then sent that back to me and i included it in the I-129f submission. We got our NOA2 in August.

I think the important part is that she is 18 by the time of the medical and interview...

Good Luck, let me know if you have any other questions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.