HU@VJ

I-751 Aug 2012 filers

780 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Does anyone have any advice or experience with the the following situation. My wife just accepted a new job working in the lab at a hospital here. The HR dept needs her to fill out the I-9: Employment Eligibility Verification form. She gave them her green card with the the I-797 that shows it has been extended 1 year. However, the HR dept is saying that irregardless of the I-797, her green card is still expired, so they are not considering it as falling under List A of acceptable documents for the I-9. They are telling her that it falls under List C and so she needs something from List B, which primarily is a Drivers License. However, she only has a learners permit at this time. Any ideas on how she should handle this?

State ID would work for a list "B".

Here, take a look at the form itself (more specifically - instructions): http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, but my wife does not have a state id or anything else from list B. We went to the DMV and applied for a California ID, but they estimated it would be about 4 weeks before she receives it. What surprised me, was I thought the I-797 letter "extended" the expiration date of her green card, thus allowing the green card to fall under column A. However, the HR dept at the hospital where she was offered a job is claiming that despite the letter, the green card is still expired, therefore, it falls under column C. I am wondering if they are incorrectly treating the green card as expired when it really isn't. I just dont know how to prove that to the HR dept.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

@ Bruin85

I would do this:

1. Get an immediate appointment with infopass - also send an email (if there is an email out there somewhere) to USCIS regarding this.

2. Tell the HR (nicely) that I have set an appointment with the DHS regarding this matter, and as the letter is a DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY/FEDERAL/FBI issued document and as the HR can't accept it, to please give me the reason in written so that I can take that letter and talk to the DHS about issuing me something that HR would accept.

3. I would believe the HR would not give anything in written

4. IF they do, take that letter to infopass and ask to help for this harassment and violation of FEDERAL document.

Hope this helps.

God speed.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with the the following situation. My wife just accepted a new job working in the lab at a hospital here. The HR dept needs her to fill out the I-9: Employment Eligibility Verification form. She gave them her green card with the the I-797 that shows it has been extended 1 year. However, the HR dept is saying that irregardless of the I-797, her green card is still expired, so they are not considering it as falling under List A of acceptable documents for the I-9. They are telling her that it falls under List C and so she needs something from List B, which primarily is a Drivers License. However, she only has a learners permit at this time. Any ideas on how she should handle this?

Naturalization (N-400) based on Marriage

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Honolulu HI

Date Filed : 2013-08-24

NOA Date : 2013-08-30

Bio. Appt. : 2013-09-26

Interview Date : 2013-26-11

Approved : Yes

Oath Ceremony : 2013-11-12

--------------------------------------------------------------

Lifting Conditions (I-751)

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2012-08-28

NOA Date : 2012-08-31

RFE(s) : None

Bio. Appt. : 2012-10-04

Interview Date : None

Approval Date : 2013-03-12

Got I551 Stamp : No

Green Card Received : 2013-03-18

------------------------------------------------------------

Adjustment of Status (I-485)

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Date Filed : 2010-07-29

NOA Date : 2010-08-09

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-03

AOS Transfer** : NA

Interview Date : 2010-11-22

Approval Date : 2010-11-22

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: 2010-12-04

Employment Authorization Document

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-03

Approved Date : 2010-09-27

Date Card Received : 2010-10-04

Advance Parole

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Received : 2010-10-01

----------------------------------------------------------

Port of Entry Review

Port of Entry : Honolulu

POE Date : 2010-06-04

Got EAD Stamp : No

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

---------------------------------------------------------------

K1 Visa (I-129F Fiancé(e) petition)

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : 2009-12-16

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-12-28

I-129F RFE(s) : None

RFE Reply(s) : NA

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-02-26

NVC Received : 2010-03-04

NVC Left : 2010-03-08

Consulate Received : 2010-03-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-30

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-03-26

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-19

Interview Date : 2010-05-25

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-05-31

US Entry : 2010-06-04

Marriage : 2010-06-21

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@ Bruin85

I would do this:

1. Get an immediate appointment with infopass - also send an email (if there is an email out there somewhere) to USCIS regarding this.

2. Tell the HR (nicely) that I have set an appointment with the DHS regarding this matter, and as the letter is a DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY/FEDERAL/FBI issued document and as the HR can't accept it, to please give me the reason in written so that I can take that letter and talk to the DHS about issuing me something that HR would accept.

3. I would believe the HR would not give anything in written

4. IF they do, take that letter to infopass and ask to help for this harassment and violation of FEDERAL document.

Hope this helps.

God speed.

That's a pretty good advice. Sometimes HR is completely clueless when it comes to the immigration paperwork. They just look at the list of documents on I-9, and if it's not there - they say they don't know it. Idiots.

Also, why does it take 4 weeks for the state ID? That sounds strange.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your help R@vj and Martyshk. We consulted an immigration attorney who pointed out a passage in the I-9 Handbook that says "However, you may accept Employment Authorization Documents and Permanent Residence cards that appear to be expired on their face, but have been extended by USCIS". We showed this to HR, but they showed us another section in the handbook that says expired Permanent Residence cards with extension letters can be used for List C. We explained to them that the green card is NOT expired because the letter extends the expiration date by 1 year. But they still said that the handbook says it is to be used for list C. Our lawyer told us that the HR dept's interpretation of the handbook is wrong, but there is no way to force to them interpret it diffently. He said the next step is to schedule an infopass and ask the immigration officer for an I-551 stamp. So, we scheduled the first available appt, which is March 1st..... As far as the California ID card taking 4 weeks, that's what the clerk at the DMV told us. Hopefully, he was being conservative, and it will come sooner that. Thanks again for your help.

IR5 - (Father-In-Law)

Feb. 2018 - Interview - Approved

Feb. 2018 - VISA Received!

May 6, 2018 - Arrived in the  U.S.! 

Hello, fellow Aug. filers! How are you all? B-) It's been 5 months now and I still haven't heard about my I-751. We're moving to another state next month and it's under the CSC instead of the VSC. I just would like to ask, is there anything that I should do aside from filing a change of address? Will moving to another state affect my application??? :unsure::help: Thanks!

Edited by dan.and.audrey

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Click here to view my timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello, fellow Aug. filers! How are you all? B-) It's been 5 months now and I still haven't heard about my I-751. We're moving to another state next month and it's under the CSC instead of the VSC. I just would like to ask, is there anything that I should do aside from filing a change of address? Will moving to another state affect my application??? :unsure::help: Thanks!

I guess other than AR-11 and I-865 filing, there nothing else one can do. You may be hoping to get the application transferred to CSC - sorry I disappointed you.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

I guess other than AR-11 and I-865 filing, there nothing else one can do. You may be hoping to get the application transferred to CSC - sorry I disappointed you.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the response! :thumbs:

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Click here to view my timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hi guys.

I tried logging in to check my status and they locked my account due to inactivity. I tried reactivating by answering my security question but I guess I forgot it.

Anyway, when I try to check with my WAC receipt number, it gives me this message:

Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283.

I haven't tried to call yet. Is anybody else having this problem?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi guys.

I tried logging in to check my status and they locked my account due to inactivity. I tried reactivating by answering my security question but I guess I forgot it.

Anyway, when I try to check with my WAC receipt number, it gives me this message:

Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. Please check your receipt number and try again. If you need further assistance, please call the National Customer Service Center at 1.800.375.5283.

I haven't tried to call yet. Is anybody else having this problem?

Are you using the number on the biometrics letter or the NOA? You have to use the one on the biometrics letter...that one has worked for us.

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Are you using the number on the biometrics letter or the NOA? You have to use the one on the biometrics letter...that one has worked for us.

Mmmm I'll have to double check when I get home. I had saved just the receipt number and that's what I was using. I'll check later. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Nica

I had the same problem a few weeks ago so I called USCIS and she pulled my case up and told me they were just now working on April and it would be June before we wood here anything if not I should call them back Best of Luck God Bless

Timeline

Hi Nica

I had the same problem a few weeks ago so I called USCIS and she pulled my case up and told me they were just now working on April and it would be June before we wood here anything if not I should call them back Best of Luck God Bless

Thanks, Dale. I know we're probably not going to hear anything just yet but just wanted to check. I will make sure I'm using the correct receipt number later, though.

Thank you and God bless you as well.

Timeline

I checked my receipt and biometrics letter and I was using the incorrect one. I checked (and saved) the correct one and it's working fine on the USCIS website, still in Initial Review. Thanks katie & sifa for pointing that out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.