KAL

K-1 denied :(

159 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Anything a person chooses to disclose or not answer about their significant other is their right to do so. Just like it's a person's right to share an opinion, but it's not your right to attack another's belief system.

And I wouldn't respond to what I've read here, because it looks like an attack, but she has logged into VJ.

KAL take what you need and throw the rest away.

Thank you, because there is a difference between helping and as you say attacking and I felt like I was under attack. Asking certain questions as if I am a little kid being scolded.

an1cJZxFg000010ODA4OTgybHw3MzM2MDk0bGF8VGltZSBlbGFwc2VkIHNpbmNlIE5PQTEgOg.gif

Our Visa Journey

November 26, 2011........Sent I-129F

December 1, 2011..........Received NOA1

May 1, 2012....................Received RFE

July 5, 2012................ Petition Denied :(

Timeline

Remember Kal, you found VJ for a reason right? Whether a 'divine hand' brought you here or you found it by googling why your k1 didn't get approved and it was among the top choices because so many people use it, you should give all info you can so that the experts who have been through the process, been through the same experience, or have been around for a long time can help you through whatever it is you are going through or will be going through in the future. If you are serious about doing this right, work on your timeline and profile so you can be helped, study and learn all that you can.

I found VJ after filing the petition not after my 129 was denied. I will work on my timeline and I will do everything right this time.

Our Visa Journey

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I know that scams take place everyday, everywhere. Yes it is very easy for someone to sweettalk someone online, but I am not gulliable, naive or dumb. 2yrs is not rushing, yes I know we didnt meet but now we will.

May I ask why you have not met in 2 years?

Understanding the process(esp. when you do it without a lawyer but in general too) is the key to at least knowing your next few steps and how to handle and deal with it. The petition you filed is to determine whether or not your eligible to petition your fiance. 2 out of 3 isn't enough and USCIS is scanning the papers for those 3 requirements. Even if it hadn't been a denial, you would most likely have been scrutinized at the interview(well, your fiance would) for not having met. And he still will be scrutinized at that specific embassy even after you have met.

1st stage is you undergoing background checks and submitting documents proving that you are eligible to petition a fiance.

2nd stage is your fiance having a medical examn, handing in police report and undergoing background check as well to determine whether or not he is eligible to have a visa is his name. Then there's YOUR story together as a couple and this is where the red flags may be found. Maybe it isn't the first time someone petitioned him. Maybe you neclected to tell him something relevant from your past. Age difference, the cultural norms, etc. Address these subjects before thinking about filing a new petition(after you've met, of course).

I don't really mind couples who only meet once before submitting a petition, it's their choice. But a week, even a month worth of visiting, and online time, is not the same as living together because you can't account for all factors when visiting and anxious to just be together and get the best out of a week or two. That's a fact, not a judgement.

I recently read about a girl who knew her husband was the jealous type but she discovered HOW jealous after walking around with him in other environments, a different country. Not during visits but after they got married.

I'd suggest reading some reviews on Visa Journey from the embassy you'll be going through.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Timeline

I suggest that you do extensive reading here on VJ to learn what is expected at the Lagos embassy. Being unprepared leads to disappointment as you have seen first hand.

A great advice. Read and ask to be prepared to deal with Lagos. Don't rush things, you need to know who and what you are dealing with so you wont make further mistakes. This is not a process to be taken lightly. Do your homework first. God will guide you but you need to listen.

Timeline

May I ask why you have not met in 2 years?

I was in school earning my bachelor's degree. After I graduated I looked for work to save for my trip. Now I have been on the job for almost a year, and will get vacation time.

Understanding the process(esp. when you do it without a lawyer but in general too) is the key to at least knowing your next few steps and how to handle and deal with it. The petition you filed is to determine whether or not your eligible to petition your fiance. 2 out of 3 isn't enough and USCIS is scanning the papers for those 3 requirements. Even if it hadn't been a denial, you would most likely have been scrutinized at the interview(well, your fiance would) for not having met. And he still will be scrutinized at that specific embassy even after you have met.

1st stage is you undergoing background checks and submitting documents proving that you are eligible to petition a fiance.

2nd stage is your fiance having a medical examn, handing in police report and undergoing background check as well to determine whether or not he is eligible to have a visa is his name. Then there's YOUR story together as a couple and this is where the red flags may be found. Maybe it isn't the first time someone petitioned him. Maybe you neclected to tell him something relevant from your past. Age difference, the cultural norms, etc. Address these subjects before thinking about filing a new petition(after you've met, of course).

I don't really mind couples who only meet once before submitting a petition, it's their choice. But a week, even a month worth of visiting, and online time, is not the same as living together because you can't account for all factors when visiting and anxious to just be together and get the best out of a week or two. That's a fact, not a judgement.

I recently read about a girl who knew her husband was the jealous type but she discovered HOW jealous after walking around with him in other environments, a different country. Not during visits but after they got married.

I'd suggest reading some reviews on Visa Journey from the embassy you'll be going through.

Ok thanks for the info I will continue to read as much as I have to to prepare myself

Our Visa Journey

Timeline

A great advice. Read and ask to be prepared to deal with Lagos. Don't rush things, you need to know who and what you are dealing with so you wont make further mistakes. This is not a process to be taken lightly. Do your homework first. God will guide you but you need to listen.

Thanks advice is welcomed and received

Our Visa Journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you and I am taking in all the info, I just dont' appreciate how some members assume this is a scam just because of his location. My eyes and ears have been wide open since day one. Believe I do know how stressful this process is. I know he does not have a temper, we are both continuing to be patient. We don't have any red flags beside not having the face to face time. I couldn't agree with you more, there will be signs that people would unintentionally give and there has not been any whatsoever with him. I always pay attention and listen. I joined VJ to get more info and help with advice not to be deemed a victim in the making. I will continue to read and thank you and I wish you the same.

Where did you get the assumption? Has anyone here said for a fact he IS scamming you? No. Do not read too much into the blunt, yet helpful advice. What most of us have done is warned you- and we've done it with facts. We've even listed the red flags for your convenience. We've posed questions for your benefit- none of them answered. Yes, they may be personal, but this is a personal journey- it just so happens to be a legal one.

Now, have some of us deemed you a "victim in the making"? Yes, because you already are. After all, you sent a petition without meeting the requirements thanks to a pastor's advice. So, yes, that makes you a victim of someone's bad advice. I would be asking him/her for the money you lost. Granted, now you're educating yourself to prevent being victimized. Good for you and keep it up.

Good luck.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

The length of time you've spent together online (2 years) tells you nothing about his character.

It's well known that scammers are prepared to wait years once they find that USC willing to petition for them.

Years.

There are no red flags

I hate to break it to you like this, but just the fact that he is Nigerian is a red-flag.

Thank you, because there is a difference between helping and as you say attacking and I felt like I was under attack. Asking certain questions as if I am a little kid being scolded.

You shouldn't get your hackles up. People are trying to help you.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

The length of time you've spent together online (2 years) tells you nothing about his character.

It's well known that scammers are prepared to wait years once they find that USC willing to petition for them.

Years.

I hate to break it to you like this, but just the fact that he is Nigerian is a red-flag.

You shouldn't get your hackles up. People are trying to help you.

Thanks for pointing that out. Most scam cases of k-1 visa holders is to wait until removal of conditions to then abandon the spouse or file for divorce. Others abandon immediately upon arriving and in some extreme cases, upon landing in the US.

The OP believes there are no red flags. Still doesn't get it. The fact her fiance is Nigerian, unfortunately, is a red flag in itself. He comes from a high fraud country, just like my now husband who's from Egypt. Maybe we need to orient her more on this.

KAL: there are countries that share waiver with the US for many reasons, including visitations to and from the US. Let's say someone from the UK wants to come over as a tourist, it isn't as hard as someone from Egypt wanting to come as a tourist, hence getting a tourist visa. Now, for immigration: so, for example Rebecca Jo's case (sorry to use you as an example) maybe wasn't as scrutinized as other petitioners from other countries. Europe for instance isn't as meticulous as MENA countries. MENA countries go through the dreaded AP! So, as you go up the ladder you will hit more hurdles by that simple fact. Egypt, Morocco, Ecuador, Pakistan, for example, are the upper steps to get to the fraud roof. Nigeria is the top of the roof. Maybe this will give you a vision of what we mean about being scammed. We are NOT claiming you are a victim or that your fiance is scamming you. We are giving you insight as to what the Consular will be thinking prior to his interview. It is your responsibility to educate him and even rehearse the interview to overcome the red flags, which in your case- apparently- is the simple fact he is Nigerian.

Edited by NY_BX

Thanks for pointing that out. Most scam cases of k-1 visa holders is to wait until removal of conditions to then abandon the spouse or file for divorce. Others abandon immediately upon arriving and in some extreme cases, upon landing in the US.

The OP believes there are no red flags. Still doesn't get it. The fact her fiance is Nigerian, unfortunately, is a red flag in itself. He comes from a high fraud country, just like my now husband who's from Egypt. Maybe we need to orient her more on this.

KAL: there are countries that share waiver with the US for many reasons, including visitations to and from the US. Let's say someone from the UK wants to come over as a tourist, it isn't as hard as someone from Egypt wanting to come as a tourist. Now, for immigration: so, for example Rebecca Jo's case (sorry to use you as an example) maybe wasn't as scrutinized as other countries. Europe for instance isn't as hard as MENA countries. So, as you go up the ladder you will hit more hurdles by that simple fact. Egypt, Morocco, Ecuador, Pakistan, for example, are the upper steps to get to the fraud roof. Nigeria is the top of the roof. Maybe this will give you a vision of what we mean about being scammed. We are NOT claiming you are a victim or that your fiance is scamming you. We are giving you insight as to what the Consular will be thinking prior to his interview. It is your responsibility to educate him and even rehearse the interview to overcome the red flags.

No problem with using us an example. London is one of the easiest consulates in the world.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

KAL: There are many many many cases here on VJ- and this only represents less than 1% of the immigration petitioners in the US. There's one in the Egypt forum, bless her heart. She did everything right for this man. Yes, she was older by a lot (you don't have this red flag but that's not the point), yet she was very confident she will have her 'habibi'- like she called him- in no time. Well, the guy goes to the interview and BAM! denied. That's a k-1 visa denial. Simply said, he was unprepared in many levels. One of the questions asked was: how did you meet? His answer: 'by luck and blessing of god.' The interview went downhill from there. The CO then asks: 'how is it that her youngest daughter is older than you? Why not marry her daughter?' His answer: 'Her daughter is married.' Stupidity of a new dimension. :wacko: She files an appeal and went through all the hoops and loops with Senators. All the while, he is in Italy. You heard, in Italy. Why? because his best friend in Egypt went bride hunting and met these 2 young girls. Whala! they get approved and now they're out of the country. Relationship lasted 2 years prior to her petition being sent. And, she only visited him once. If you find this disturbing, then brace yourself for real awful stories. In fact, the Egypt forum as early as last week is living one on its own.

Red flags are there for a reason, and that is to actually protect you.

Edited by NY_BX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Prayer without works means nothing.......So many ppl have posted opinions and facts and its up to you to read and take it all in and just be prepared for all that is to come. I know you will be much more on point now. Good Luck on the rest of your journey. and God bless......

4sHsm4.png

Never think that God's delays are God's denials. Hold on; Hold fast; Hold out. Patience is Genius.

Good list, and I would like to add a big red flag I have seen lately:

The petitioner has NEVER travelled outside the US before.

Just curious Harpa, how does the petitioner never being outside of the US before send up a red flag to USCIS?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Just curious Harpa, how does the petitioner never being outside of the US before send up a red flag to USCIS?

It's a target profile. Lot's of scammers look for people with no international travel experience for immigration and other scams. It's easier to fool them because of their inexperience. USCIS doesn't care about this for petition approval but the Consular Officer will consider it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It's a target profile. Lot's of scammers look for people with no international travel experience for immigration and other scams. It's easier to fool them because of their inexperience. USCIS doesn't care about this for petition approval but the Consular Officer will consider it.

I'm not making the connection between travel experience and being scammed. How does a person's lack of travel experience make them more susceptible to being scammed?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.